"Easy Ride" for pensioners in Thailand now over, says Pattaya Radio

webfact

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I'd tell my son, "If you don't have 20 grand in the bank you don't have enough money to marry or have children or lead any poor woman on that you might be able to support her."

I can see trying to make it on a shoestring in Thailand if you are single but it seems to me that having a family commits one to a certain amount of fiscal responsibility.  Not having 20 grand in the bank and having a family is irresponsible. 

They don't care what happens to their wife or kids,only themselves. And if the kids are theirs, even worse. If you have no provision for those who you leave behind when you go to the final BBQ, stay single.Have some pride.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

Me & the Mrs have been happily living together now for 7 years & known each other for longer than that, we are not married but may as well be. Prior to all this kerfuffle about the cancellation of the Embassy letters things have changed for me, I have always had the required funds in my bank account to cover the retirement extension but after my renewal this year I decided to run down the funds in my Thai bank account, purely due to a growing distrust and confidence in their staff & account security for on line & app banking, basically they have no guarantee that if your account is scammed or the bank goes bust you are not covered for your losses, unlike the protection you have in the UK & I assume the majority of 1st world banks.

Coupled with the now horrendous exchange rate between the UK £ and Thai Baht, 42.50 on XE.com a few seconds ago, and no doubt worse at my bank I refuse to transfer the funds from my bank in the UK.

The exchange rate also means that my State pension and private pension are worth at least 20% if not more than they were before this Brexit debacle reared its ugly head, so now I have 2 choices, 1. I use an agent and pay for my retirement extension OR 2. I marry the Mrs and go down the Married Visa route, although I have heard that this route is so ridiculous in it's requirements as to be a non starter, ie: the amount of stuff, pictures, maps & other demands are beyond belief.

I currently have well over 1/2 of the required 800,000 but don't want to knowingly lose money  by transferring the balance just now, I will therefore use an agent and pay his respectable sum and hopefully things will pick up in the future.

And another thing I fail to understand is why is a single guy required to have 800,000 & a married couple, no doubt with kids and all that goes with it get away with 400,000 Baht ?? a bit of a conundrum in my book is that one.

"why is a single guy required to have 800,000 & a married couple, no doubt with kids and all that goes with it get away with 400,000 Baht ?? a bit of a conundrum in my book is that one."

I asked that very question a few pages ago but no one was forthcoming with an answer! I just put it down to Thai "anti-logic" - a bit like the louder the music is the more customers it will attract, or charge 20 baht bottle more for your beer than your competitors because you have no customers!

5 hours ago, Spidey said:

I have always found that if you are pleasant with them, they are pleasant with you. Don't give them a reason to be awkward with you and they won't be.

I have always found them easier and more pleasant to deal with than the British police.

Agreed and at least you can have a few or many drinks with the Thai police and remain friends with them.  You can not have the same social interaction with the British police. Its a case if you look after them then they will do the same for you if you need it, well that's my experience anyway.

2 hours ago, superal said:

and Thailand has portable goal posts

In my experience there are 2 things you crucially must not do in Thailand, not ever.

1. Pay up front for aomething you can't take home with you.

2. Lend someone money, especially a Thai but plenty of foreigners too.

7 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

In my experience there are 2 things you crucially must not do in Thailand, not ever.

Or trust a f#$t!

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:
5 hours ago, sambum said:

First of all - who mentioned Trump? - you!

Secondly - you come across as being an arrogant snob when you use the type of language  that you employ in your final sentence

Thirdly - change that to "troll"!

Fourthly - :cheesy:????

"First of all - who mentioned Trump?" The "anti Thai poster guy " wrote, "There is a quite severe xenophobia within the ruling classes, not mirrored in the general population I might add....but they don't make the rules!"   I assumed he was talking about Trump and the American ruling class.  If Trump isn't xenophobic and part of the ruling class who is?  

All the guy I responded to does is talk about how great America is and how bad Thailand is so it seemed reasonable to me. 

My are we working hard today or what. The quote about xenophobia of course did not refer to the USA. There is deflecting and then there is just being deliberately obtuse.

As you did not answer and tried to flip the questions, Back to the original question

Secondly - you come across as being an arrogant snob when you use the type of language  that you employ in your final sentence

Have at it champ    :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

I'm afraid there are many here who have reached the point of no return and are the victims of a change of the visa rules without consultation and the dereliction of duties by an uncaring ambassador , or so it seems at the moment . I hope this awful event can be resolved to the satisfaction of all concerned .

1 minute ago, superal said:

I'm afraid there are many here who have reached the point of no return and are the victims of a change of the visa rules without consultation and the dereliction of duties by an uncaring ambassador , or so it seems at the moment . I hope this awful event can be resolved to the satisfaction of all concerned .

Correct, and I would urge all affected by this "dereliction of duty" to send emails to the Ambassador himself, reminding him of his broken promises ( providing top-notch consular and embassy services to all who avail of them.”) with copies to the Consular Section,the Foreign Office in London, and their MP. 

While "it helps to talk about it on TV" It is fruitless to a certain extent, unless you do something about it - a bit like complaining about the Government if you didn't even bother to vote! 

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

Correct, and I would urge all affected by this "dereliction of duty" to send emails to the Ambassador himself, reminding him of his broken promises ( providing top-notch consular and embassy services to all who avail of them.”) with copies to the Consular Section,the Foreign Office in London, and their MP. 

While "it helps to talk about it on TV" It is fruitless to a certain extent, unless you do something about it - a bit like complaining about the Government if you didn't even bother to vote! 

Won't help, Thailand isn't the only place with officers of government who have an over-developed sense of entitlement and an under-developed sense of what's right and/or useful.

2 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Won't help, Thailand isn't the only place with officers of government who have an over-developed sense of entitlement and an under-developed sense of what's right and/or useful.

You may well be right however if there are no complaints lodged they will not hesitate with other actions as they see fit . Does not take long to write an email to the embassy , no longer than some of the posts we make on here . 

9 minutes ago, superal said:

You may well be right however if there are no complaints lodged they will not hesitate with other actions as they see fit . Does not take long to write an email to the embassy , no longer than some of the posts we make on here . 

If everybody had the same "doom and gloom" attitude as the poster you were replying to, then we would still be living in caves!

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The guy asked a question and I gave him the correct answer.  I know flaming is easier than thinking but you might try and answer his question.

Correct answer my a@#e! Condescending clap trap!

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If you don't agree with me provide an alternative answer.  What's with the flame?  Help you or me or the forum?

"The guy" "Are you with me?"  "Thinking like a Thai now?"  "Got it?"

Condescending clap trap!

The examples that I quoted re excess noise and overpriced drinks were to prove that the Thai way of thinking is flawed, but you say that Thais think that expats are "not that bright"? I suppose that's why the bars are empty?

2 hours ago, sambum said:

"why is a single guy required to have 800,000 & a married couple, no doubt with kids and all that goes with it get away with 400,000 Baht ?? a bit of a conundrum in my book is that one."

I asked that very question a few pages ago but no one was forthcoming with an answer! I just put it down to Thai "anti-logic" - a bit like the louder the music is the more customers it will attract, or charge 20 baht bottle more for your beer than your competitors because you have no customers!

I asked the same question a few weeks ago . One reply said the single guy needs more money as he is out on the town , wining , dining and entertaining ladies most nights . The married guy will be stuck in a village , no bars only mama papa shop and without a clue to what is going on and talking to himself as every one else speak Thai only . That may last for a year or so and then he will venture out to find civillisation and then he will then also qualify for wanting the 800k .

36 minutes ago, superal said:

I asked the same question a few weeks ago . One reply said the single guy needs more money as he is out on the town , wining , dining and entertaining ladies most nights . The married guy will be stuck in a village , no bars only mama papa shop and without a clue to what is going on and talking to himself as every one else speak Thai only . That may last for a year or so and then he will venture out to find civillisation and then he will then also qualify for wanting the 800k .

"will be stuck in a village , no bars only mama papa shop and without a clue to what is going on and talking to himself as every one else speak Thai only"

Oh yes! Been there done that - but fortunately for 2 or 3 day visits!  

1 hour ago, sambum said:

If everybody had the same "doom and gloom" attitude as the poster you were replying to, then we would still be living in caves!

Ah well, one man;s 'doom and gloom'is another man's 'the way things actually are'... A polyanna I am not, too old, too ragged around the edges, been fooled too many times, won't get fooled again. But hey, everyone's different - right?

9 hours ago, Expattaff1308 said:

As the Embassy Letter is no longer an option and that the BE website suggest bank statements showing income deposits into a Thai Bank I thought this would be a reasonable solution that would meet the income needs of Thai Imm, would show the income deposited into your bank and easily verified by a Bank letter supported by the Bank Book or statements.

The BE can suggest all they like. They don't make Thai Immigration policy. Only an embassy letter is acceptable to Thai Immigration.

9 hours ago, Expattaff1308 said:

As the Embassy Letter is no longer an option and that the BE website suggest bank statements showing income deposits into a Thai Bank I thought this would be a reasonable solution that would meet the income needs of Thai Imm, would show the income deposited into your bank and easily verified by a Bank letter supported by the Bank Book or statements.

"I thought", sorry taff but what you think or what I think just don't come into it. Never has and never will.

12 minutes ago, rott said:

"I thought", sorry taff but what you think or what I think just don't come into it. Never has and never will.

Well I know that but whats wrong with looking at alternatives and sending ideas to the BE, they can negotiate we cant.

Try and look for a positive outcome instead of being a defeatist, slagging off the Embassy will achieve nothing, Ive complained bitterly to them now Im looking for them to find a compromise only they can speak to TI on our behalf we cant!!

32 minutes ago, Expattaff1308 said:

Well I know that but whats wrong with looking at alternatives and sending ideas to the BE, they can negotiate we cant.

Try and look for a positive outcome instead of being a defeatist, slagging off the Embassy will achieve nothing, Ive complained bitterly to them now Im looking for them to find a compromise only they can speak to TI on our behalf we cant!!

I'd find out who did it and then out them in the UK except everyone in the UK thinks those of us who live in Thailand are pervs. 

4 hours ago, HalfLight said:

Ah well, one man;s 'doom and gloom'is another man's 'the way things actually are'... A polyanna I am not, too old, too ragged around the edges, been fooled too many times, won't get fooled again. But hey, everyone's different - right?

If you want to live the rest of your life in a pessimistic, cynical state, please feel free to do so, but do not knock other people's efforts to try to resolve matters if you can't be bothered. 

If your glass is always half empty - som nom na!

8 hours ago, superal said:

True, true. The world being a dogpile is not sufficient reason to assume it will always will be a dogpile. No reason not to try I suppose, reasonable point.

15 hours ago, Spidey said:

As I said, not possible to marry my Thai wife (a little matter of bigamy) and without that impossible to adopt my son.

Ahh then I see.

You would have a few more legal hoops to jump through than most!

I thought, and maybe I’m wrong that abandonment after a couple of years was the easiest way for Thai’s to get a divorce.

And God knows, Thai men seem to have no problem, or second thoughts, about walking away from their wives and kids!

15 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

My are we working hard today or what. The quote about xenophobia of course did not refer to the USA. There is deflecting and then there is just being deliberately obtuse.

As you did not answer and tried to flip the questions, Back to the original question

Have at it champ    :thumbsup:

I wouldn’t feed him if I were you.

He’s got a bit of a hardon whenever I write anything.

Go figure, but he’s in the uber apologist wing of TVF, where you can’t say anything that in their tiny minds gets perceived as criticism. I don’t ever respond anymore, I recommend you do the same, since it’s pointless 

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I wouldn’t feed him if I were you.

He’s got a bit of a hardon whenever I write anything.

Go figure, but he’s in the uber apologist wing of TVF, where you can’t say anything that in their tiny minds gets perceived as criticism. I don’t ever respond anymore, I recommend you do the same, since it’s pointless 

+1

Archived