Thai govt endorses draft sugarcane and sugar act

webfact

Govt endorses draft sugarcane and sugar act

PNECO611009001000201.jpg

BANGKOK, 9th October 2018 (NNT) - The government has endorsed the draft Sugar Cane and Sugar Act to ensure that the Thai sugar industry thrives systematically and benefits the farmers. 

The term ‘sugarcane juice’ has been included in the draft Sugar Cane and Sugar Act to enable sugar cane farmers to use it for commercial purposes. This is said to give them more options to make a profit. 

The draft law stipulates that sugar manufacturers and sugarcane farmers must be represented on the Cane and Sugar Board so their voices are heard. The selling price of sugar cane must be higher than 80% but not exceeding 95% of the estimated profit. 

The amendment of the law is in line with an agreement set forth by the World Trade Organization (WTO). Thailand is the world’s 4th largest sugar producer and the 2nd largest exporter.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-10-09

27 minutes ago, webfact said:

The selling price of sugar cane must be higher than 80% but not exceeding 95% of the estimated profit

What does that mean in layman's terms, sure it will mean the price 

will rise

regards worgeordie

28 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

What does that mean in layman's terms, sure it will mean the price 

will rise

regards worgeordie

I've not got a clue either.im well surprised at the figures of production and especially export as the baht is so strong.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The selling price of sugar cane must be higher than 80% but not exceeding 95% of the estimated  profit

Is this the famous Thainomics I've heard if? The profit of what? Refined sugar, or the sugar cane itslef. Neither option is mathematically posible...is it?

Say, for example, I sell my sugar cane at 100 Baht. My expenses are 50 Baht so my profit is 50 Baht, but the law says my selling price must be at least 80% more than profit. So that means that my selling price becomes 90 Baht and my profit changes to 40 Baht. If I keep repeating the process I end up with an eventual selling price of 50 Baht...or cost price. At which point I would be complying with the law. ????

Or do I have to keep adding 80% of my profit to my original selling price...in which case I end up selling my sugar cane for a gajillion baht.

EDIT to add: I now notice it says "higher than 80%" not "higher by 80%" ???? Still, it just raises another set of seemingly bizarre scenarios. If the estimatdd profit is 50 Baht then the selling price must be 40 - 47.5 Baht? So the buyer will set the price by deciding how much profit he/she wants? So it's not sn estimated profit at all, is it?

Define profit, this area grows a lot of cane, the wife knows a grower well they are in debt to the tune of 2 million baht, and they are not the only one most growers are, a lot are buying they own truck to haul cane, and not use contractors,

And can someone tell me what is sugar cane juice is  ,did this get lost in the translation from Thai ,and they mean molasses, and what commercial purposes a sugar cane farmer has  in sugar cane juice I do not know, some do use a molasses based fertilizer, but most get made in to gashole fule  anyway.

This sounds like another government scheme that has not been fully thought out, even using the WTO  nothing will change, and how long will it last,cane is a 3-4 year crop, the first 2 years cover the initial growing costs, farmers can not just change crops if this scheme does not work,all it will do is to increase the farmers debt ...again .

Refined sugar = poison.

As a teacher, I am APPALLED at the snacks parents send to school with their kids. Processed wheat, LOADS of refined sugar/fructose syrup. On the other hand, my stock in diabetes treatment is SOARING!

Archived