Fresh Thyme and Basil

pj123

Tried three so called Gourmet Markets today for fresh herbs. I think I need to start growing my own. Any idea where I can get fresh thyme and basil?

As an alternative, long term solution, advice on growing herbs in Thailand would be welcome. Thanks

On 10/9/2018 at 7:45 PM, tutsiwarrior said:

good luck, I tried to find western 'sweet basil' everywhere including seeds to grow my own with no success...them 'Royal Project' places might be worth investigating...

I got a packet of Genovese Basil seed in the UK (2000 seeds for about 40B) and I grow that on my balcony.

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I got a packet of Genovese Basil seed in the UK (2000 seeds for about 40B) and I grow that on my balcony.

yeah, this is what I was lookin' to do, grow the basil in a plastic planter box on my front terrace...do you use regular potting soil in bags from the market? could maybe get my ex or my son to find the seeds in the UK and ship them out in an envelope...

I found some seeds for romaine (cos) lettuce at our local talaat...my favorite lettuce and not available where I live...

3 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

yeah, this is what I was lookin' to do, grow the basil in a plastic planter box on my front terrace...do you use regular potting soil in bags from the market? could maybe get my ex or my son to find the seeds in the UK and ship them out in an envelope...

Yes, I grow them in a planting box with some decent compost (watch out: most compost here is poor quality).

A packet of seed weighs next to nothing and so the postage wont cost more than the minimum for a letter. Seeds are available on Amazon, or cheaper at a garden centre. 2000 seeds make a lot of pesto!

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2018 at 11:19 AM, kjun12 said:

I have tried getting friends to mail seeds from the US but they never get here.  Do you think Thai customs is seizing them?

If they are loose or unmarked, maybe. I doubt there would be any problems with sealed commercial sachets bought in a shop.

Plenty of very fresh and nice Italian basin, Thyme and oregano all reasonably priced at Makro stores, ( i buy mine at the Ladprao Rd store) about 70 baht for a good size bunch of these fresh herbs, look for them in the fridge next to the organic section...

Archived