Best driving route from Ubon Ratchathani to Hua Hin

Mike45

33 minutes ago, Patriot said:

Google Maps is good but aren’t there some sneaky, quicker routes while circumcising Bangkok?

I like it because it updates continuously so if there is a hold up somewhere or accident, it re-routes you. Have a good trip.

Are you sure circumcising is the correct word?

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Changing Google maps basic route from here to Hua Hin I think this is the route I would take that bypasses some of Bangkok. https://goo.gl/maps/YyJ7geLHUN42

Here is the first route that Google Maps gave me from the same starting point here. https://goo.gl/maps/GtxBvmaorGH2

Absolutely better to go the first route that you linked.

Love or hate it but the outer ring road (#9, 6 lane motorway), is sure better than midst through Bangkok where even the tollways can get jammed (depending on time of day).

Maybe: it's worth considering to even add a few extra miles and use the eastern part of ringroad #9 (?) which is even wider and a completely enclosed motorway. I know this side from own experience.

Probably the most elaborated motorway in Thailand.

Detail view:

https://goo.gl/6ofPaA

Not sure I'd want to travail on a motorway that had been made the most elaborate in Thailand, KhunBENQ. I'm guessing yer another victim of autotype, but couldn't quite figure out the intended adjective!????

['travail' for 'travel' was debilitate]

18 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Highway 24 has much improved but there are a few speed cameras on it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too true. Prasat in particular really pi$$es me off. Thought I knew where the cameras were, but my last attempt to avoid them without dropping to (near to) 90kmph found me being photographed seemingly from a  field some meters away from the road ..... oy, that's cheating!???? Saraburi is another place where the feds love to raise money from unannounced cameras on all surrounding highways.

Any update on positioning Kwaibah et al? Thought I was safe slowing down 3km away from the lights in Prasat coming westward and 10km away coming eastward!

Mixture of too many speed cameras and the boredom of driving 24/2/1/9 too many times means I often go to Bangkok via Sakaeow these days. [That route was illustrated/G-mapped by someone else on some Ubon expats facebook page, where I think you also recently posted the same question OP]

fine at prasat.jpg

If yer talking west-bound and live cop speed trap rather than camera Dilli - I think I know that one having been caught by it some years ago. I get a buzz out of having people who've been buzzing my back end race past me, as I slow down in anticipation, only to fly straight into the arms of the law. Schadenfreude is sometimes delicious!

Coming west-bound out of Nang Rong for the first 10 clicks always used to be another big speed trap area when it was the first stretch of dual lane road on the haul to Bangkok. Not seen them there in recent years though.

The avoidance technique on 24 (for live cop speed traps) is to slow down when the central reservation is wooded or about to become such. With open-view central reservations oncoming traffic can offer warnings and pickings become slim for the BIB so they generally choose the woods

I'm not sure about the first part out of Ubon as I haven't driven it, but I would definitely head for the the 24, then go 24, 2, 1, 9 (west), 35, 4. That's based on my experience of driving from Hua Hin to Surin and back about 3 times a year for the last 3 years. As others have said, watch out for radar traps and police check points on the 24 especially between Prasat and the Korat intersection. I've previously been fined for speeding and last time we got fined for a rear seat passenger not wearing a seat belt at one check point and a faulty rear brake light at another.

A note of caution about taking the western ring road # 9 - it is usually quicker - but at busy times, especially during holiday periods it can get badly congested. I usually use the traffic website http://traffic.longdo.com/en to check how congested it is.

3 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Not sure I'd want to travail on a motorway that had been made the most elaborate in Thailand, KhunBENQ. I'm guessing yer another victim of autotype, but couldn't quite figure out the intended adjective!????

['travail' for 'travel' was debilitate]

Sometimes I should consult the dictionary.

Pick your choice :smile:

best developed motorway

best engineered motorway

best motorway

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

A note of caution about taking the western ring road # 9 - it is usually quicker - but at busy times, especially during holiday periods it can get badly congested. I usually use the traffic website http://traffic.longdo.com/en to check how congested it is.

The 9 Kanchanapriesek road can get very congested. The parallel road though more easterly to it is Ratchapruek road and it usually flows a lot more freely. You can ride the south to near BTS Bang Wa and get onto the 35 there.

14 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

The 9 Kanchanapriesek road can get very congested. The parallel road though more easterly to it is Ratchapruek road and it usually flows a lot more freely. You can ride the south to near BTS Bang Wa and get onto the 35 there.

This is true - we usually try to time our journeys so we're on the ring road outside of rush hours, either very early in the morning or later on in the evening. Just at the moment the longdo traffic site is showing a bunch of road works on it so it might be worse than usual just now.

Archived