Thai ministry urged to remove ‘homophobic’ books

webfact

3 hours ago, lahgon29 said:

I disagree. Most example of Orwellianism I see in books and movies seem left wing and green to me. The dystopianism of Big Brother and Animal Farm were clearly left wing. An example recently was the far left Australian Human Rights Commissioner, Gillian Triggs, who regretted that people could freely say what they wanted around the kitchen table without the state knowing.

Left wing despotism seems so much softer than the the blunt instrument right wing stuff. Boiling frog type of thing. 

Funny most examples of Orwellianism I see are clearly right wing. I see right wingers wanting a totalitarian state where the actions of the individual are monitored by the state. 

Gillian Triggs is probably an idiot..hardly representative of left wing progressiveness.

I can trot out Donald Trump and say all right wingers are stupid hate mongering totalitarians because Donald Trump is stupid and he is the archetype stupid hate mongering totalitarian. The kind of example you used is not representative anything but stupidity. Examples of stupidity can be found in all manner of people..right or left. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, jm91 said:

Funny most examples of Orwellianism I see are clearly right wing. I see right wingers wanting a totalitarian state where the actions of the individual are monitored by the state. 

Gillian Triggs is probably an idiot..hardly representative of left wing progressiveness.

I can trot out Donald Trump and say all right wingers are stupid hate mongering totalitarians because Donald Trump is stupid and he is the archetype stupid hate mongering totalitarian. The kind of example you used is not representative anything but stupidity. Examples of stupidity can be found in all manner of people..right or left. 

Please stop going on about Trump , he gets a mention in every thread

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Please stop going on about Trump , he gets a mention in every thread

Please stop instructing me on the content of my postings.

Trump is the larger than life idiot leader of the USA elected by conservatives in the USA therefore a relevant reference. 

Just now, jm91 said:

Please stop instructing me on the content of my postings.

Trump is the larger than life idiot leader of the USA elected by conservatives in the USA therefore a relevant reference. 

OK,have it your way :Will the mods please delete these off topic posts 

Just now, sanemax said:

OK,have it your way :Will the mods please delete these off topic posts 

OK - Thank your for allowing me to have it my way.

I see these posts as on topic - The specific topic being LGBT discrimination and the larger topic being tolerance versus intolerance and does it spring from one political view or another? or is it something else? 

Gee..it is not so hard to see the relevance is it? 

10 minutes ago, jm91 said:

OK - Thank your for allowing me to have it my way.

I see these posts as on topic - The specific topic being LGBT discrimination and the larger topic being tolerance versus intolerance and does it spring from one political view or another? or is it something else? 

Gee..it is not so hard to see the relevance is it? 

This thread is about books in schools in Thailand , nothing to do with Trump

Every thread, whatever the subject, someone uses the thread to have a rant about Trump 

21 minutes ago, sanemax said:

This thread is about books in schools in Thailand , nothing to do with Trump

Every thread, whatever the subject, someone uses the thread to have a rant about Trump 

Trump is a dangerous idiot - people have strong opinions and people can do whatever they like. 

The thread is about homophobic books, which is a form of discrimination/intolerance. 

The other poster offered up Gillian Triggs as an example of left wing intolerance (the posters example was a bit off so I am taking license) or a government body trying to impose a form of intolerance. I countered with my own example. 

My suggestion is to stop worrying about what other people post. If you don't like the content of posts then don't read or even better do not respond to posts.  Or even better start your own website. 

Stop whinging. 

3 minutes ago, jm91 said:

Trump is a dangerous idiot - people have strong opinions and people can do whatever they like. 

The thread is about homophobic books, which is a form of discrimination. 

The other poster offered up Gillian Triggs as an example of left wing intolerance (the posters example was a bit off so I am taking license) or a government body trying to impose a form of intolerance. I countered with my own example. 

My suggestion is to stop worrying about what other people post. If you don't like the content of posts then don't read or even better do not respond to posts.  Or even better start your own website. 

Stop whinging. 

Reported for being off topic

Just now, sanemax said:

Reported for being off topic

OK. 

Thanks for informing me. My question is why do you feel the need? 

Textbooks are a the state sanctioned view of right and wrong. If the state through the school system uses text books that encourage intolerance towards gay people then it is a form of state sponsored discrimination against a group of people based on an trait they were born with. 

If people want that then fine but we should be clear about what is happening. 

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

Sorry if my 'question' sounded personal, it wasn't meant to be, I was just trying to summarize. 

I really like your words '..normal for me..'

It was meant to be "tongue in cheek" and not to indicate that I was offended.  I just pruned the number of words too heavily and it "sounded" annoyed.  Sorry!

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

I have a friend in Melbourne, he's happily married with a couple of kids, he's a trained professional costume and make up designer to suit period films etc., and he actually does some of the make up work. He plays football.

He makes quite some extra income doing the make up for cross dressers, most of his clients are middle aged men: professional bankers, engineers, tradesmen, and laborers.

Years ago he asked one of his first cross dress clients what gay places he likes to go to and whether some gay clubs were better than others to meet other cross dressers.

The client answered 'I have no idea, I cant answer your question, I've never been to a gay club and I'm not interested to go to a gay club'. 

Bottom line, this client liked to get professionally made up, put on his female clothes, which he kept in a locked wardrobe in his mothers' house then walk around department stores, shopping malls, sit in cocktail bars in big hotels, etc. 

I know you are trying your best but you’re showing your lack of knowledge here. Let me help you. 

You are referring to cross-dressers, a distinctive type of individual who although liking to dress as a woman, are not gay. This is opposed to transvestites/transsexuals who are predominately gay/bi. 

59 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

I know you are trying your best but you’re showing your lack of knowledge here. Let me help you. 

You are referring to cross-dressers, a distinctive type of individual who although liking to dress as a woman, are not gay. This is opposed to transvestites/transsexuals who are predominately gay/bi. 

Thanks, I am aware of the points you mention.

The make up designer guy I mentioned, no real knowledge of the points your mentioning above had assumed all cross dressers are gay.

The point I'm trying to highlight is that so called 'normal' is as broad and complex as an elephant. And I'm not trying to be judgmental.

Thanks again.

Two points:

Science and sociology (since Kinsey and before) realised that the range of human sexuality is vast (not everybody is completely gay or straight), and also sexuality can go through phases. A relative of mine had two wives in normal marriages but age 42 he met a guy and realised that he was going to be gay. Similarly, a guy from my old university was gay and slept with men until he met a girl at 29. Now, Google or facebook have worked out that there are about 25-30 different variations. Also, many boys of 15 play the biscuit game or play with another boy in the sports showers (a lot of you have done similar things) before eventually getting girls and getting married. A recent poll in the UK showed that 49% of students had played around or done something with same-sex friends (where they admitted it), even though they self-defined as straight. If we assume that there are 7 Billion people alive and we take the very conservative estimate that 3% of people are gay (not including bisexuals or gay tranvestites and others)---then there are 210 million gay people around, which is enough to fill up the UK or Thailand 3.5 times with only gay people, or fill up 0.7 of the USA land mass with only gay people.

With regard to Thailand, there have been gay princes, courtiers, singers, doctors, cooks, crooks and even trash collectors for thousands of years. Even one of the kings was known to half an eye on young men, despite fathering many children. Many Thai men are obliged to marry (I know a few), so may not be open in public. The guys who do the wonderful costume dancing are usually gay, and a lot of the boys in toothpaste adverts or evening soap operas are gay. Thailand is accustomed to having gays around (not to mention the thousands of Tom and Dee -girl/girl-couples that you see arm-in-arm). Of course Thailand is attractive for paedophiles (Cambodia more so), but it is also attracted to arms salesmen on the run, or drug dealers.

Speaking as a "normal" gay who has no pink handbags, and follows football, I have never faced any form of discrimination in Thailand. The girls in 7-11 always ask after my boyfriend, and I was very open about being gay when I taught in a very famous university here (which itself had a lot of LGBT students and teachers). I don't feel any different to anybody else, even though Thailand won't announce plans for same-sex civil partnerships until November or the next election.

As someone who has travelled to at least 20 countries, and lived long-term in four, I have found that, despite its faults, Thailand is either welcoming or neutral about LGBTQ people. Good for Thailand!

Eddy

On 10/10/2018 at 5:55 PM, nontabury said:

Are you a fairly young farang man,married to a Thai.And now you have discovered that she previously had a number of sexual encounters with much older farang men. Or are you one of those young farang men who are married to a rather plump farang wife, and wish you were not.

Lol, I am neither of the above. I am not young, nor do I have or want a wife. I am just constantly surprised by the comments of many of the farang posters here who are so quick to judge others while living in nonconventional relationships. Glasshouses with piles of stones.

On 10/10/2018 at 8:15 AM, trianglechoke said:

It's normal to shake hands but not compulsory.... but it is still normal to shake hands. Having kids is not compulsory but it sure is normal (as in no human race unless it had always been not just normal but the driving instinct of our species. It is not compulsory for Thais to eat rice but .... you see what i mean 

It is not normal to shake hand in many countries! It is normal for people to kiss on the cheek in some countries. 

You should ask yourself the question why transsexuals are always bi or gay.

See, there must be something wrong with gays as that's 2 abnormalities in one.

Ever heard of a lesbian transsexual male?
You mean transgender?
If you mean have I ever heard of a transgender woman into women yes I have.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived