Chiang Mai Chinese tourism down! Let's be a "happy family" and learn to speak Mandarin!

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, The manic said:

I was at a hotel in CM. Nobody spoke Thai or English

I dont believe you, name the hotel and I will go and check myself

Chinese people cannot work in hotels in Thailand

Name the hotel and I shall investigate ? 

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I dont believe you, name the hotel and I will go and check myself

Chinese people cannot work in hotels in Thailand

Name the hotel and I shall investigate ? 

There are plenty of Chinese people working in hotels in Chiang Mai, go to the Anantara boutique shop and see one at least - also, go to Dungtuwan and come back and tell us what you see, assuming, of course, you can identify a Chinese person from other nationalities, which is not always easy.

10 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

There are plenty of Chinese people working in hotels in Chiang Mai, go to the Anantara boutique shop and see one at least - also, go to Dungtuwan and come back and tell us what you see, assuming, of course, you can identify a Chinese person from other nationalities, which is not always easy.

I do go to the Dungtawan quite often and I havent noticed any Chinese people working there .

I shall be going there tonight and I will look harder , where do these Chinese work , what jobs are they doing there ?

Tell me what jobs they are doing and I will go tonight and ask them their nationality , just incase I am mistaken

21 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do go to the Dungtawan quite often and I havent noticed any Chinese people working there .

I shall be going there tonight and I will look harder , where do these Chinese work , what jobs are they doing there ?

Tell me what jobs they are doing and I will go tonight and ask them their nationality , just incase I am mistaken

Sometimes, you're just too funny. A farang wanders into the Dungtawan and starts asking staff which country they come from, you're a shoe in for MI5 undercover ops. ????

Walk around, listen look then question and come back and report, agent zero! Probably no Chinese staff in the gym though so don't look there!

7 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Sometimes, you're just too funny. A farang wanders into the Dungtawan and starts asking staff which country they come from, you're a shoe in for m5 undercover ops. ????

Walk around, listen look then question and come back and report, agent zero!

I often do go there and havent noticed any Chinese people working there .

I havent yet been to the Chinese restaurant up on the 23 rd floor , maybe they are all working there ?

I also quite often watch the backroom staff outside doing fire drills and they dont seem to be Chinese , as the fire officer speaks to them in Thai .

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

I often do go there and havent noticed any Chinese people working there .

I havent yet been to the Chinese restaurant up on the 23 rd floor , maybe they are all working there ?

I also quite often watch the backroom staff outside doing fire drills and they dont seem to be Chinese , as the fire officer speaks to them in Thai .

Which begets the question, can you (or others) always easily identify Chinese people, I'm practised at this and I can't.

7 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Which begets the question, can you (or others) always easily identify Chinese people, I'm practised at this and I can't.

So, how do you know that there are plenty of  Chinese people working in the Duantawan ?

If you can not tell the difference between a Thai and a Chinese , how do you know that the people working in the Duangtawan are Chinese ?

Of course some Chinese speak English but there are a surprisng number of ones , some in their 20s , who don't even speak a few words of English. I saw this personally in Bang Saen when a girl was unable to understand that beach  chairs were meant for families or groups , not single tourists. Her solution? She pulled out 500 Baht. The Thai man took it, shook his head in amazement(disgust?) and walked off. My friend who is a professional teacher in China confirms that the demogrpahic of English speaking Chinese is completely different from most Asian countries.

Of course some Thais speak English very well, but many will speak at the shopkeper level which may be frustrating if you are trying to learn and pracitce Thai. You  will need to get to a at least a high enough level to make complete sentences .  For me, it took years. Keep trying, there are many who will help you but are shy to speak in any language to a foreigner.

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

So, how do you know that there are plenty of  Chinese people working in the Duantawan ?

If you can not tell the difference between a Thai and a Chinese , how do you know that the people working in the Duangtawan are Chinese ?

We have several Chinese friends who work in Chiang Mai, one is my wife's Chinese language teacher and now a close friend.

Just now, BugJackBaron said:

Of course some Chinese speak English but there are a surprisng number of ones , some in their 20s , who don't even speak a few words of English. I saw this personally in Bang Saen when a girl was unable to understand that beach  chairs were meant for families or groups , not single tourists. Her solution? She pulled out 500 Baht. The Thai man took it, shook his head in amazement(disgust?) and walked off. My friend who is a professional teacher in China confirms that the demogrpahic of English speaking Chinese is completely different from most Asian countries.

Of course some Thais speak English very well, but many will speak at the shopkeper level which may be frustrating if you are trying to learn and pracitce Thai. You  will need to get to a at least a high enough level to make complete sentences .  For me, it took years. Keep trying, there are many who will help you but are shy to speak in any language to a foreigner.

As said in an earlier post, our experience is that Chinese in Thailand tend to be very proficient in English, they are, in our experience, usually very well educated also.

6 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

As said in an earlier post, our experience is that Chinese in Thailand tend to be very proficient in English, they are, in our experience, usually very well educated also.

This is your experience. I have seen Chinese struggling to undertand at a basic level what they are shopping for in Bangkok as well.  I have also met university educated Chinese studying English at a pre-intermediate level(yes I am a teacher). It is easy  to interact only with those who are well educated as they often moce in the same circles as you do. It does not necessarilly reflect average English ability of arrivals here which is admittingly hard to quantify.

16 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

We have several Chinese friends who work in Chiang Mai, one is my wife's Chinese language teacher and now a close friend.

Thanks for that irrelevant info which has nothing to do with the thread or the post that you replied to 

In the area where we live in Mae Rim we have more Chinese neighbours than any other nationality, all come from professional backgrounds and most have moved here with their families and their children are enrolled at Prem., without exception they are genuinely nice and pleasant people who interact easily and don't engage in childish Thai adolescent behaviour. From what we've learned about China, through them, their schooling system is far more strict and advanced than anything in Thailand, they are very serious about quality education. That said, I'm certain there are rural types who are less well educated and struggle with English and Thai. I lived and worked in China during the 1990's for a couple of years and my experience of the Chinese now matches my experience back then.

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Thanks for that irrelevant info which has nothing to do with the thread or the post that you replied to 

You asked me how I knew there are Chinese people working at hotels in Chiang Mai when I admitted I couldn't always easily identify them, I answered by telling you we have several Chinese friends who live and work in Chiang Mai. Can you not put two and two together or do you need it spelt out for you, they told us about them and in one instance introduced us to one person who is a friend who worked there.

14 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

You asked me how I knew there are Chinese people working at hotels in Chiang Mai when I admitted I couldn't always easily identify them, I answered by telling you we have several Chinese friends who live and work in Chiang Mai. Can you not put two and two together or do you need it spelt out for you, they told us about them and in one instance introduced us to one person who is a friend who worked there.

So you are aware of one Chinese person who works at Duantawan ?

One Chinese person in a huge hotel that employ 100's of people .

If you go back to the beginning of this discussion , it was stated that there are some hotels which no staff speak Thai or English and they are ALL Chinese , that is what I was replying too and questioning  

36 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

...we have more Chinese neighbours than any other nationality, all come from professional backgrounds and most have moved here with their families and their children are enrolled at Prem., without exception they are genuinely nice and pleasant people who interact easily and don't engage in childish Thai adolescent behaviour.

I don't doubt what you say is true for that small sampling of professionals, especially interacting with you one on one.

However, as pack animals, my experiences of crowds of Chinese has been far more childish than anything I've witnessed by Thais.

Thais wait in queues respectfully, acknowledge one's presence mindfully, and don't cough or blow smoke in my face.

The Chinese? Exact opposite.

I lived and worked near Chinatown SF for years and have encountered Chinese groups in many cities throughout the world and it's always the same rude behavior.

Part of that Chinese education you say they so value should include Manners and Social Etiquette 101.

8 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

I don't doubt what you say is true for that small sampling of professionals, especially interacting with you one on one.

However, as pack animals, my experiences of crowds of Chinese has been far more childish than anything I've witnessed by Thais.

Thais wait in queues respectfully, acknowledge one's presence mindfully, and don't cough or blow smoke in my face.

The Chinese? Exact opposite.

I lived and worked near Chinatown SF for years and have encountered Chinese groups in many cities throughout the world and it's always the same rude behavior.

Part of that Chinese education you say they so value should include Manners and Social Etiquette 101.

Thai's wait in queues respectfully, really! How long have you been here!!

I think it is inappropriate to refer to Chinese as "pack animals", they have a very different culture tothat in the West and they are less developed in many respects, their system of manners and courtesy is also very different - none of that makes one group right and the other group wring, manners and social etiquette 101 was written by the West but it doesn't mean the entire world has to conform.

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

So you are aware of one Chinese person who works at Duantawan ?

One Chinese person in a huge hotel that employ 100's of people .

If you go back to the beginning of this discussion , it was stated that there are some hotels which no staff speak Thai or English and they are ALL Chinese , that is what I was replying too and questioning  

You appear to be having a bad evening and simply want to argue with somebody, best you go find somebody else to do that with because I'm not interested!

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

Thai's wait in queues respectfully, really! How long have you been here!!

I think it is inappropriate to refer to Chinese as "pack animals", they have a very different culture tothat in the West and they are less developed in many respects, their system of manners and courtesy is also very different - none of that makes one group right and the other group wring, manners and social etiquette 101 was written by the West but it doesn't mean the entire world has to conform.

I've been "here" in Thailand 2 months and experienced many orderly Thai queues at rail stations, banks, stores and food stands.

I've been "here" on Earth for decades and have lived in a dozen different countries...

East vs. West?

You ever been to Japan or Singapore? Orderly queues. 

Italy and France? No concept of queues.

But anyway, my experience of the rudest behaviors bordering on physical assault have been primarily from that one pack in question, the Chinese.

(I refer to all humans as pack animals and each pack has it's own peculiarities).

"their system of manners and courtesy is also very different"

More like underdeveloped and unrecognizable.

24 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

I've been "here" in Thailand 2 months and experienced many orderly Thai queues at rail stations, banks, stores and food stands.

I've been "here" on Earth for decades and have lived in a dozen different countries...

East vs. West?

You ever been to Japan or Singapore? Orderly queues. 

Italy and France? No concept of queues.

But anyway, my experience of the rudest behaviors bordering on physical assault have been primarily from that one pack in question, the Chinese.

(I refer to all humans as pack animals and each pack has it's own peculiarities).

"their system of manners and courtesy is also very different"

More like underdeveloped and unrecognizable.

I've been here for 16 years and have worked throughout the region for many years prior, yes, I've been to Japan and Singapore many times. You will find out in due course that most Thais do not queue, the orderly queueing you have seen is an anomaly.

24 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Who am I to believe, you or my lying eyes? ????????????

Nobody cares one jot who or what you believe, least of all me, you can deal with the inputs of others any way you wish.

Just now, simoh1490 said:

Nobody cares one jot who or what you believe, least of all me, you can deal with the inputs of others any way you wish.

Hey, no offense buddy, but yeah my first-hand experience takes precedence.

It's just mildly amusing when folks tell me my daily experiences for 2 months are mearly an anomaly.

I could just as easily have the same experience for the rest of my life as be suddenly shown otherwise...

Who's to say what plays a part of this equation here?

Maybe you and I frequent radically different places? Maybe I'm extremely lucky and you aren't?

Maybe I'm experiencing the norm and your experiences are the anomalies?

Maybe I'm showing up respectfully and trusting, and you are showing up edgy and expecting the worst, and folks are responding in kind?

Perhaps the manner with which I approach the situation, with a positive vibe and respectful energy, encourages everyone around me to behave more appropriately?

In any event, I'm not being dismissive of your speculations nearly as much as simply honoring my first-hand experiences. 

2 months of daily experience is more of a pattern than an anomaly in my view. ????

Good morning.

1. Where does one go to post pictures of beautiful women, regardless of age, nationality. The post of three “Chinese” women was totally uninspiring - where should I go, with this group of blokes, to be inspired?

2. The Chinese, even more than the Russians before them, own and operate their tourist dollars in Thailand. Just because the local Thais are in a panic about occupancy does not mean tourism is down. No doubt it is, but you must start with the Chinese entry numbers at CM and BKK airports to have any clear idea of the situation.

3. Much less than 80% of the Thai melting pot are descended from Chinese. And remember that modern Chinese (Qing Dynasty) are heavily interbred with the Manchurians (Mongols). It is certainly the case that 80% of Thailand’s GDP is in the hands of Thai-Chinese.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

23 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

Perhaps the manner with which I approach the situation, with a positive vibe and respectful energy, encourages everyone around me to behave more appropriately?

By suddenly forming a queue which was non existing prior to your arrival - me thinks not.????

Archived