Chiang Mai Chinese tourism down! Let's be a "happy family" and learn to speak Mandarin!

webfact

9 hours ago, webfact said:

After all, said reps at the the meeting, are not 80% of Thais descended from the Chinese anyway in some way or another and aren't we all one big "happy family"?

Tell that to an ordinary Thai to get smashed in the head. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...we fell for it for years....and the 'disarming smile'....and it cost us dearly....

...now we don't get even side-ward glances....especially when word is out that we have already been cleaned out....555

...if it's any consolation....the Chinese have absolutely learned from our mistakes....

...and from recent horrific experiences of their own....

Over the last year we've met Chinese Tourists in several Resorts and places around the country and they can almost all speak English, something they have noticed that the Thai's don't, so i don't think they are bothered if Thai's can speak Mandarin and anyway it would be several decades wait for that, as most Thai's in the Tourist Industry need to grow a brain first !

Well, after 30+ years of not managing alien languages like English to start with - give it another try with Mandarin. Assume that those quality tourists from the Red country in the North it might be possible, that they are more familiar with Taechiew, Hokkien or any other Chinese language. If all measures fail = there is always Article 44 ???? 

7 hours ago, Katipo said:

Learn Chinese? Hmmm, after decades of promoting English language learning the country is still struggling with nearly the lowest competency in the region. Still, nothing wrong with a little bit of hopeless optimism I suppose ????

I must correct you I talk to many Chinese and they all speak perfect english not like Thais  they can't speak a word of english and don't forget some speak Cantonese 

3 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

I have pleasant English conversations every day with Thais...

I don't want to argue with you but I lived in Thailand for many years and I could not find more than a couple who could speak English I am now talking to some Chinese girls and they English is perfect but I am not worried 

8 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Last month is was served by a Chinese girl in a known restaurant in Chiang Mai.

She did not understand a word Thai or English. 

Did not know they could work freely in Thailand.

Needles to say , i wont be going back to that place any more.

Important people in high places have read your post and are seriously concerned.

A crackdown against this sort of thing is coming.

Unfortunately there are so many crackdowns currently happening that it might take some considerable time before you notice an improvement, if indeed you are still here to notice and are not yourself the victim of a crackdown beforehand. ????????

11 minutes ago, Denim said:

Unfortunately there are so many crackdowns currently happening that it might take some considerable time before you notice an improvement, if indeed you are still here to notice and are not yourself the victim of a crackdown beforehand. ????????

Coming next:

a crackdown on crackdowns 

1 minute ago, baansgr said:

Simple solution, start being nice to people, no dual pricing, no padding bills, no punching, stabbing or threatening tourists.....be good hosts...am pleased at last the goose is suffering, they deserve to loose tourists

Generally , they are treated quite well , 

8 minutes ago, Denim said:

Important people in high places have read your post and are seriously concerned.

so let me post this I know you all are crazy about Thai girls I will post 3 pictures of Chinese girls and you tell me how old they are

63.jpg

wow.jpg

61 again.jpg

Nothing to do with the Chinese tourist boat tragedy.

Chiang Mai has become boring. No decent nightlife, the centre of town is a complete dump and possible to visit all the so-called tourist attractions in under 3 days including rip off prices for foreigners and the hotels are expensive. The city lost it`s zest years ago. It`s become a last grazing ground for male elderly expats with not much else going for it.

9 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

so let me post this I know you all are crazy about Thai girls I will post 3 pictures of Chinese girls and you tell me how old they are

63.jpg

wow.jpg

61 again.jpg

You might be fooled be blokes dressed up as babes but most of us prefer the real thing...regardless of nationality.

13 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

now I met most of them in real you just talking to your backside

and I can assure you they are not blokes 

Of course you did. We all believe you. As for talking backsides, I defer to your self proclaimed authority on such things. Amazing what they can do when you think about it.

1 hour ago, White Christmas13 said:
1 hour ago, YogaVeg said:

I have pleasant English conversations every day with Thais...

I don't want to argue with you but I lived in Thailand for many years and I could not find more than a couple who could speak English I am now talking to some Chinese girls and they English is perfect but I am not worried 

Where did you live? I find it hard to practice my Thai in day-to-day life because most people want to speak English to me...

38 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

now I met most of them in real you just talking to your backside

and I can assure you they are not blokes 

I'm struggling to see what your point was of posting photos of three Chinese females and then saying "I've met them all"

Are we back to high school and bragging about our conquests?

8 hours ago, connda said:

Why Chinese tourists have stopped coming to Chiang Mai in one picture.  :whistling:

DoNotFeedThePigeons.thumb.jpg.295fb4bd34edd3a9d56827491333e994.jpg

I nearly lost it when I saw this HUGE sign at tp gate..LOL....wonder who did the translation and esp WHAT those 2 girls are thinking....wish I was there to see them printing it out and assembling it at tp gate!!!

Waiting for the loud promo trucks and blasting speakers or maybe a blimp--sky writing at doi shutep??

36 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

I nearly lost it when I saw this HUGE sign at tp gate..LOL....wonder who did the translation and esp WHAT those 2 girls are thinking....wish I was there to see them printing it out and assembling it at tp gate!!!

Waiting for the loud promo trucks and blasting speakers or maybe a blimp--sky writing at doi shutep??

I know, for myself, getting a photograph of that sign is reason enough to travel half way around the world! I so genuinely appreciate everything the Thai gov't is doing to make it a magical destination.

2 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

They are all way to old!!

Top photo also has to be photoshopped. Look at the jawline etc. I do wonder if these lovely ladies that the poster is bragging about being man enough to have talked to, know that he is also posting their photo on TVF in some misguided attempt to prove his masculinity. I know most people probably wouldn't be that impressed with that

2 hours ago, SammyT said:

I do wonder if these lovely ladies that the poster is bragging about being man enough to have talked to, know that he is also posting their photo on TVF in some misguided attempt to prove his masculinity. I know most people probably wouldn't be that impressed with that

I bet they would be horrified to discover some falang they met once (if ever) is posting their pics online in a grade-school attempt to be relevant to an anonymous crowd.

Pathetic.

On 10/10/2018 at 7:06 AM, terminatorchiangmai said:

Last month is was served by a Chinese girl in a known restaurant in Chiang Mai.

She did not understand a word Thai or English. 

Did not know they could work freely in Thailand.

Needles to say , i wont be going back to that place any more.

I was at a hotel in CM. Nobody spoke Thai or English

Archived