BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Chiang Mai Chinese tourism down! Let's be a "happy family" and learn to speak Mandarin!

On 10/10/2018 at 5:14 PM, LukKrueng said:

the "crackdown on foreigners" has nothing to do with legitimate tourists

It does actually.  The presence of armed thugs carrying out raids is very disconcerting. 

2 minutes ago, The manic said:

I was at a hotel in CM. Nobody spoke Thai or English

I dont believe you, name the hotel and I will go and check myself

Chinese people cannot work in hotels in Thailand

Name the hotel and I shall investigate ? 

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I dont believe you, name the hotel and I will go and check myself

Chinese people cannot work in hotels in Thailand

Name the hotel and I shall investigate ? 

There are plenty of Chinese people working in hotels in Chiang Mai, go to the Anantara boutique shop and see one at least - also, go to Dungtuwan and come back and tell us what you see, assuming, of course, you can identify a Chinese person from other nationalities, which is not always easy.

10 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

There are plenty of Chinese people working in hotels in Chiang Mai, go to the Anantara boutique shop and see one at least - also, go to Dungtuwan and come back and tell us what you see, assuming, of course, you can identify a Chinese person from other nationalities, which is not always easy.

I do go to the Dungtawan quite often and I havent noticed any Chinese people working there .

I shall be going there tonight and I will look harder , where do these Chinese work , what jobs are they doing there ?

Tell me what jobs they are doing and I will go tonight and ask them their nationality , just incase I am mistaken

21 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do go to the Dungtawan quite often and I havent noticed any Chinese people working there .

I shall be going there tonight and I will look harder , where do these Chinese work , what jobs are they doing there ?

Tell me what jobs they are doing and I will go tonight and ask them their nationality , just incase I am mistaken

Sometimes, you're just too funny. A farang wanders into the Dungtawan and starts asking staff which country they come from, you're a shoe in for MI5 undercover ops. 😁

Walk around, listen look then question and come back and report, agent zero! Probably no Chinese staff in the gym though so don't look there!

7 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Sometimes, you're just too funny. A farang wanders into the Dungtawan and starts asking staff which country they come from, you're a shoe in for m5 undercover ops. 😁

Walk around, listen look then question and come back and report, agent zero!

I often do go there and havent noticed any Chinese people working there .

I havent yet been to the Chinese restaurant up on the 23 rd floor , maybe they are all working there ?

I also quite often watch the backroom staff outside doing fire drills and they dont seem to be Chinese , as the fire officer speaks to them in Thai .

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

I often do go there and havent noticed any Chinese people working there .

I havent yet been to the Chinese restaurant up on the 23 rd floor , maybe they are all working there ?

I also quite often watch the backroom staff outside doing fire drills and they dont seem to be Chinese , as the fire officer speaks to them in Thai .

Which begets the question, can you (or others) always easily identify Chinese people, I'm practised at this and I can't.

7 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Which begets the question, can you (or others) always easily identify Chinese people, I'm practised at this and I can't.

So, how do you know that there are plenty of  Chinese people working in the Duantawan ?

If you can not tell the difference between a Thai and a Chinese , how do you know that the people working in the Duangtawan are Chinese ?

Of course some Chinese speak English but there are a surprisng number of ones , some in their 20s , who don't even speak a few words of English. I saw this personally in Bang Saen when a girl was unable to understand that beach  chairs were meant for families or groups , not single tourists. Her solution? She pulled out 500 Baht. The Thai man took it, shook his head in amazement(disgust?) and walked off. My friend who is a professional teacher in China confirms that the demogrpahic of English speaking Chinese is completely different from most Asian countries.

Of course some Thais speak English very well, but many will speak at the shopkeper level which may be frustrating if you are trying to learn and pracitce Thai. You  will need to get to a at least a high enough level to make complete sentences .  For me, it took years. Keep trying, there are many who will help you but are shy to speak in any language to a foreigner.

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

So, how do you know that there are plenty of  Chinese people working in the Duantawan ?

If you can not tell the difference between a Thai and a Chinese , how do you know that the people working in the Duangtawan are Chinese ?

We have several Chinese friends who work in Chiang Mai, one is my wife's Chinese language teacher and now a close friend.

Just now, BugJackBaron said:

Of course some Chinese speak English but there are a surprisng number of ones , some in their 20s , who don't even speak a few words of English. I saw this personally in Bang Saen when a girl was unable to understand that beach  chairs were meant for families or groups , not single tourists. Her solution? She pulled out 500 Baht. The Thai man took it, shook his head in amazement(disgust?) and walked off. My friend who is a professional teacher in China confirms that the demogrpahic of English speaking Chinese is completely different from most Asian countries.

Of course some Thais speak English very well, but many will speak at the shopkeper level which may be frustrating if you are trying to learn and pracitce Thai. You  will need to get to a at least a high enough level to make complete sentences .  For me, it took years. Keep trying, there are many who will help you but are shy to speak in any language to a foreigner.

As said in an earlier post, our experience is that Chinese in Thailand tend to be very proficient in English, they are, in our experience, usually very well educated also.

6 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

As said in an earlier post, our experience is that Chinese in Thailand tend to be very proficient in English, they are, in our experience, usually very well educated also.

This is your experience. I have seen Chinese struggling to undertand at a basic level what they are shopping for in Bangkok as well.  I have also met university educated Chinese studying English at a pre-intermediate level(yes I am a teacher). It is easy  to interact only with those who are well educated as they often moce in the same circles as you do. It does not necessarilly reflect average English ability of arrivals here which is admittingly hard to quantify.

16 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

We have several Chinese friends who work in Chiang Mai, one is my wife's Chinese language teacher and now a close friend.

Thanks for that irrelevant info which has nothing to do with the thread or the post that you replied to 

In the area where we live in Mae Rim we have more Chinese neighbours than any other nationality, all come from professional backgrounds and most have moved here with their families and their children are enrolled at Prem., without exception they are genuinely nice and pleasant people who interact easily and don't engage in childish Thai adolescent behaviour. From what we've learned about China, through them, their schooling system is far more strict and advanced than anything in Thailand, they are very serious about quality education. That said, I'm certain there are rural types who are less well educated and struggle with English and Thai. I lived and worked in China during the 1990's for a couple of years and my experience of the Chinese now matches my experience back then.