Chiang Mai Chinese tourism down! Let's be a "happy family" and learn to speak Mandarin!

webfact

On 10/13/2018 at 8:59 AM, simoh1490 said:
On 10/13/2018 at 8:33 AM, YogaVeg said:

Who am I to believe, you or my lying eyes? ????????????

Nobody cares one jot who or what you believe, least of all me, you can deal with the inputs of others any way you wish.

Sound argument rationale - if you can't win the argument just tell the other person you're right and that you don't care what they believe. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/13/2018 at 1:01 AM, simoh1490 said:

You appear to be having a bad evening and simply want to argue with somebody, best you go find somebody else to do that with because I'm not interested!

Correct. Meaningful discourse is impossible and not desired. Use the ignore function. At a guest house I booked into in 2017 nobody spoke Thai and one manager/receptionist spoke broken English. My Thai taxi driver could not find the place because nobody could give her directions in Thai.  Some english speaking back packers gave us directions. We waited outside a nearby temple and I was met by a Chinese girl. There was little or no signage indicating the prescence of accommodation. The Chinese receptionists was belligerent so I did not bother to check in. I contacted booking.com to complain. I cant remember the name of this dump. It had dormitory rooms and single rooms. They had no Thai staff. The false opinions of argumentative posters on this thread can not negate my real experience nor obscure the fact, legal or not, plenty of Chinese work in Thailand and are involved with businesses where no English or Thai is spoken.  

On 10/13/2018 at 9:16 AM, YogaVeg said:

Hey, no offense buddy, but yeah my first-hand experience takes precedence.

It's just mildly amusing when folks tell me my daily experiences for 2 months are mearly an anomaly.

I could just as easily have the same experience for the rest of my life as be suddenly shown otherwise...

Who's to say what plays a part of this equation here?

Maybe you and I frequent radically different places? Maybe I'm extremely lucky and you aren't?

Maybe I'm experiencing the norm and your experiences are the anomalies?

Maybe I'm showing up respectfully and trusting, and you are showing up edgy and expecting the worst, and folks are responding in kind?

Perhaps the manner with which I approach the situation, with a positive vibe and respectful energy, encourages everyone around me to behave more appropriately?

In any event, I'm not being dismissive of your speculations nearly as much as simply honoring my first-hand experiences. 

2 months of daily experience is more of a pattern than an anomaly in my view. ????

Maybe you should go to Tesco or Big C more often, lose your guard there for a minute and you have a queue jumper.

2 months of experience behind your computer i guess. 

2 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Maybe you should go to Tesco or Big C more often, lose your guard there for a minute and you have a queue jumper.

In my hundreds of visits to various supermarkets I havent noticed much queue jumping by Thais at all. 

5 minutes ago, The manic said:

In my hundreds of visits to various supermarkets I havent noticed much queue jumping by Thais at all. 

Likewise. I can only remember once, about a year ago. Yet one visit to an airport and it almost certainly happens with a Chinese person

5 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Pro tips:

1- Don't "lose your guard" 

i.e. pay attention!

2- Guess again

3- Try a respectful attitude when you interact with people. The energy will be reflected back at you. Both in queues and on forums.

My experience is that many of them who we think are Chinese , actually are Burmese or from the hill tribe people like Akha. 

Plenty of them working in Chiang Mai , and probably also try to learn Chinese to handle the tourist invasion. Could also be some Thai/Chinese families who run businesses, but I  would be very surprised if there are a lot of workers from mainland China , they are breaking the rules for sure , no work permits etc. 

And Big Joke will be on their tails pretty soon . 

Maybe the word is getting out that CM is kind of boring.

So, they go to a few temples, visit a waterfall or go look at a view, then what?

They are not ATV, trekking, shooting, or ziplining or other adventures.

After a day or two they are cruising the malls and taking photos at Nimman-bored.

8 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Maybe the word is getting out that CM is kind of boring.

So, they go to a few temples, visit a waterfall or go look at a view, then what?

They are not ATV, trekking, shooting, or ziplining or other adventures.

After a day or two they are cruising the malls and taking photos at Nimman-bored.

I am sure that where you are living , is so much better .

5 AM and you are posting on TV , suppose you just got back home from a wild night out?

I saw my trusted and well-respected hairdresser yesterday, a Chinese man whom I've known for many years and we were discussing the lack of tourists in CM. He was very clear, he's certain the reason the Chinese aren't coming to Thailand of late is that of the weak Yuan, he reckons it has nothing to do with safety or the Phuket boat sinking - this is a byproduct of the Trump/trade war issue he says. 

14 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I saw my trusted and well-respected hairdresser yesterday, a Chinese man whom I've known for many years and we were discussing the lack of tourists in CM. He was very clear, he's certain the reason the Chinese aren't coming to Thailand of late is that of the weak Yuan, he reckons it has nothing to do with safety or the Phuket boat sinking - this is a byproduct of the Trump/trade war issue he says. 

Could you ask him about investing in bitcoin and whether the price will go up or down next year

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

I am sure that where you are living , is so much better .

5 AM and you are posting on TV , suppose you just got back home from a wild night out?

I have made it clear in the past I like Chiang Mai in fact heading back tomorrow.  It is low key and a good lifestyle for retirees. But I think tourists generally want a little more going on and CM is light in that area.  If you have not figured that out yet you are pretty out of touch for someone that lives there.

As far as 5am, I actually woke up for my golf group that plays early twice a week.

Nice try though....

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have made it clear in the past I like Chiang Mai in fact heading back tomorrow.  It is low key and a good lifestyle for retirees. But I think tourists generally want a little more going on and CM is light in that area. 

And that is a major plus in my book! Less tourists, thank heaven. For those who want a less hectic environment, want study massage or cooking or Thai for cheap, seek cheaper accomodations, cheaper food, cheaper massages, CM is an excellent choice.

Well less Chinese has it's advantages...less poo to clean up behind the trees,  as they love to offload asap and anywhere ! ????

Perhaps the authorities nationwide should rather focus on better treatment towards the expats already established here and harass them less on extension of stay and general administrative issues, before they also start to pack up and give their money to another country.

Just to get a Thai driving licence or a yellow house book for those who want it (yes, yes some say it's useless ok)  can be a pain in the arch with all the required paperwork (some may have got it in 15 minutes, but many places do harass with excessive red tape or plain lazyness to get the work done when dealing with a foreigner).

Archived