Two new official Apple Stores set to open in Bangkok

webfact

Two new official Apple Stores set to open in Bangkok

apple-store-icon-siam-logo.jpg

Picture: Mac Thai

Apple are set to open two new stores in Bangkok, according to reports in Thai language media.

The first official store in Thailand is expected to open at the new Icon Siam, which is located alongside the Chao Phraya River.

Icon Siam will become Thailand’s largest shopping mall when it opens on November 9.

Photos shared by Mac Thai showed the Apple logo already in position at the front of the store.

The store at Icon Siam will be spread over two floors with its design said to replicate the Apple’s store at Orchard  Road in Singapore, according to a report by Positioning Mag.

apple-singapore-649x336.jpeg

Apple Store Orchard Road, Singapore

Apple will also open an official store at Central World early next year.

The centrepiece of the store’s design will be a huge glass cylinder that will rise up from the ground, similar to that of the Apple Store located in Shanghai.

Apple is yet to officially confirm the opening date of either store.

However, last year Apple Thailand began recruiting for staff for a new Bangkok store.

The company posted vacancies for 13 positions on its website.

“We’re excited to begin hiring the team that will open our first Apple Store in Thailand. Bangkok is one of Asia’s leading cultural and tourism centres, with a vibrant design and architectural scene.

“We look forward to providing customers an amazing space to experience all of our great products, services and inspiring educational programmes that are loved by Apple customers around the world,” a statement on the Apple Thailand website said at the time.

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-10

Apple will be a pioneer in Thailand for customer service. I'm assuming of course Apple will retain its worldwide standards.

That means Apple staff serving the public will need impeccable English, exhaustive product knowledge and excellent interpersonal skills.

I have no doubt that Thais are capable of meeting these standards given proper training and decent employment packages.

It will make a change from the almost non existent language skills and current ineptitude not to mention the surly indifference (if an early sale is not registered). Prancing around and fluttering eyes are not really a substitute for Apple like service skills.

Fingers crossed then.

4 hours ago, jayboy said:

Apple will be a pioneer in Thailand for customer service. I'm assuming of course Apple will retain its worldwide standards.

That means Apple staff serving the public will need impeccable English, exhaustive product knowledge and excellent interpersonal skills.

I have no doubt that Thais are capable of meeting these standards given proper training and decent employment packages.

It will make a change from the almost non existent language skills and current ineptitude not to mention the surly indifference (if an early sale is not registered). Prancing around and fluttering eyes are not really a substitute for Apple like service skills.

Fingers crossed then.

I was chatting with an Apple employee in the States about six months ago and he mentioned there was a company wide job posting for people that could speak Thai presumably to staff the stores. So I share your optimism about having qualified, competent staff at these stores. 

And Apple employees are not on a commission basis, so they could care less if they make a sale. It's more about customer service and pushing the Apple brand, they know sales will come on their own.

• 2 weeks later...

Fingers crossed then.

I’m afraid the only Thais who are going to meet the standards required are those who have experienced the higher customer service standards outside their own country and are prepared to match them !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/19/2018 at 10:11 PM, markaoffy said:

I’m afraid the only Thais who are going to meet the standards required are those who have experienced the higher customer service standards outside their own country and are prepared to match them !

Probably most will have had solid overseas experience. But there will always be a few homegrown people who are suitable. Most Apple Stores overseas have international staff and I hope the Department of Labour understands the importance of what's being proposed.

More generally in the days when there were many farang MDs of international companies there were many who would not recruit Thais without overseas working experience.

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2018 at 10:11 PM, markaoffy said:

Upscale resorts, restaurants, and even some condominiums have pretty attentive staff with good English skills.

But Thais who possess these skills generally don’t work for 9,000 baht/month, which is why don’t see them unless you frequent the more expensive places.

• 3 weeks later...
Why would you expect them to only hire English speaker?

One or two per shift maybe

I wouldn’t expect them to hire only English speakers.I would however expect most of the staff to be completely fluent in Thai and English.The main thing will be to avoid the behaviour of the ignorant gurning muppets who seem to populate Apple’s current outlets in Bangkok.

I wouldn’t expect them to hire only English speakers.I would however expect most of the staff to be completely fluent in Thai and English.The main thing will be to avoid the behaviour of the ignorant gurning muppets who seem to populate Apple’s current outlets in Bangkok.

Again, I don’t see why they would hire more than a couple English speakers.

On the few times I’ve been to the Apple outlets the staff has been okay.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived