Thai woman issues dating site warning: All is not as it may seem

webfact

2 hours ago, NoMeAmes said:

naivety is not the word that I would use here... naivety has an undertone of not knowing, being innocent, being the victim, etc. In cases like these, it's just ignorance, narcissism and sheer stupidity. They don't know not because nobody has never told them, they don't know simply because they don't want to know. Information is out there and very accessible. Even the dumbest "web master" would know about the very basics of internet privacy. In this case, they don't know because they are way too self-absorbed to care. She deserves this harsh lesson. Hope other Thais learn from her lesson and stop posting on social media 10 times a day. Really annoying. 

Indeed. I've always remembered from way back when I was a spotty youth something that Prince Philip said. Probably the only thing the old buffoon ever said that wasn't a waste of his breath - Ignorance isn't not knowing, it's not wanting to know.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

My question is what is the point of it all if you're not here or are here? If you're here, there are woman for hire EVERYWHERE. A guy can walk 500 meters in any direction and get a load out for cheap. If you're not in Thailand, why do these old guys bother? 

Why do people order food and have it delivered to their homes when they could walk 500 meters in any direction and find loads of restaurants (and cheaper prices) ?

Some like variety. Some like the "no hassle" browsing where you can (usually) view dozens of profiles without constantly being pestered to buy them drinks (and drinks for their "sisters"). Some are maybe just tired of the "bar scene" and as we know, some really, really hate paying a bar fine even though they want to take a girl out of the bar for the rest of the night.

If I walk to the main road near my home and turn one way, there are a couple (4 ?) "beer bars" one way - one of which is a "biker bar" and most of the girls have boyfriends in that motorcycle club.
If I walk 500 meters the other way I will go past a couple dozen small "shophouse" beer bars. I stopped at a couple some time ago, just wanting to have a quiet drink (I don't drink at home when I'm alone). Before the first drink arrives you literally have the entire staff of the bar sitting around you and you barely get a chance to take a sip before they are trying to get you to buy them drinks as well (after all, you are using up their time - even though you didn't ask them to join you and they were all just sitting around with their noses glued to their phones). 
Each time it happened I just checked the bin, put the money in the cup, chugged my (Jack-Coke) and walked out. Quite frankly, the Jack-Coke was the most attractive thing in those places as well.

I haven't met anyone on any of those dating sites (I think I've looked at a grand total of 2 of them) as I suspected that most of the profiles were fake. I actually only looked at the first site because I'd met a girl on Facebook (she was a friend of someone I was friends with and sent me a friend request). She told me she had a profile on one site so I looked her up.
Then, out of curiosity I clicked on another site I saw promoted on another site. Browsed a couple of pages and lo and behold what did I see ?

The same girl had a profile on that site as well. Different name but the exact same pics. Literally the entire profile was identical to what she had on the other site except for her username - and age (she had magically gotten 2 years younger on the second site). Never talked to her again after that (because I'm sure she was still lying about her age, even on the "younger" profile).

Once in awhile I might browse one site - I figure one day I'll see someone I know on there. I don't visit very often though as what usually happens is within minutes of logging in I start getting "likes" and messages from a lot of women in their 40s and 50s from all over the country.
(Yes, there are a lot of "real" women that are also browsing those sites. Most of them are probably nice and honest. Most of them wouldn't be able to get a job in even the cheapest beer bar though.)

There are a lot of attractive women listed, more attractive than can be found in your average beer bar and with less hassles than your average beer bar.

That is why I think there are probably a lot of guys surfing those types of sites - instead of walking 500 meters down the road and then returning home disappointed. Again.

59 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Why do people order food and have it delivered to their homes when they could walk 500 meters in any direction and find loads of restaurants (and cheaper prices) ?

Some like variety. Some like the "no hassle" browsing where you can (usually) view dozens of profiles without constantly being pestered to buy them drinks (and drinks for their "sisters"). Some are maybe just tired of the "bar scene" and as we know, some really, really hate paying a bar fine even though they want to take a girl out of the bar for the rest of the night.

If I walk to the main road near my home and turn one way, there are a couple (4 ?) "beer bars" one way - one of which is a "biker bar" and most of the girls have boyfriends in that motorcycle club.
If I walk 500 meters the other way I will go past a couple dozen small "shophouse" beer bars. I stopped at a couple some time ago, just wanting to have a quiet drink (I don't drink at home when I'm alone). Before the first drink arrives you literally have the entire staff of the bar sitting around you and you barely get a chance to take a sip before they are trying to get you to buy them drinks as well (after all, you are using up their time - even though you didn't ask them to join you and they were all just sitting around with their noses glued to their phones). 
Each time it happened I just checked the bin, put the money in the cup, chugged my (Jack-Coke) and walked out. Quite frankly, the Jack-Coke was the most attractive thing in those places as well.

I haven't met anyone on any of those dating sites (I think I've looked at a grand total of 2 of them) as I suspected that most of the profiles were fake. I actually only looked at the first site because I'd met a girl on Facebook (she was a friend of someone I was friends with and sent me a friend request). She told me she had a profile on one site so I looked her up.
Then, out of curiosity I clicked on another site I saw promoted on another site. Browsed a couple of pages and lo and behold what did I see ?

The same girl had a profile on that site as well. Different name but the exact same pics. Literally the entire profile was identical to what she had on the other site except for her username - and age (she had magically gotten 2 years younger on the second site). Never talked to her again after that (because I'm sure she was still lying about her age, even on the "younger" profile).

Once in awhile I might browse one site - I figure one day I'll see someone I know on there. I don't visit very often though as what usually happens is within minutes of logging in I start getting "likes" and messages from a lot of women in their 40s and 50s from all over the country.
(Yes, there are a lot of "real" women that are also browsing those sites. Most of them are probably nice and honest. Most of them wouldn't be able to get a job in even the cheapest beer bar though.)

There are a lot of attractive women listed, more attractive than can be found in your average beer bar and with less hassles than your average beer bar.

That is why I think there are probably a lot of guys surfing those types of sites - instead of walking 500 meters down the road and then returning home disappointed. Again.

All ratty edited pics and all want money

"interested in men aged 40-60 who likes to dress sexily."

How can any man in that age group dress sexily? Obviously they should not wear shorts, skinny

jeans maybe? Nah, what then? I understand there are some female posters on Thaivisa, maybe they could answer.

I am not interested in how men dress, but to dress sexily???? ????

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

How can any man in that age group dress sexily? Obviously they should not wear shorts, skinny

jeans maybe? Nah, what then? I understand there are some female posters on Thaivisa, maybe they could answer.

Of course we can dress "sexily" ...

mankini.jpg.754714e26faef0531f651f692d05275a.jpg

On 10/10/2018 at 5:33 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't think you understand this very well. If a friend shares something you posted then a 'third party' can look at your profile even if what you have posted is for Friends Only. They might - might - only be able to 'lift' your picture and name, but they can then set up a page under your name. It's quite common and happened to me. I only found out when I was invited to Friend myself as someone I might know.

Of course, listing your phone number is stupid and does say it all. But we are dealing with a Thai here, many of whom have the naivety of a child.

I do not understand why anyone needs or even wants to have anything to do with f***book. I was accidentally on it once, it took literally years to get off, and even now it rears its' ugly head. Dangerous waste of time.

1 hour ago, Grusa said:

I do not understand why anyone needs or even wants to have anything to do with f***book. I was accidentally on it once, it took literally years to get off, and even now it rears its' ugly head. Dangerous waste of time.

Depends how you use it. It's been very useful to me as a journalist, tracing people I've wanted to interview, and finding old friends and keeping in touch with friends and family while I'm living in Thailand. I also belong to Groups relating to where I grew up or places that I know and like, and the football team I support.

And I don't know how you could be 'accidentally on it'. You have to sign up to join, and there is provision to also leave it, which doesn't take years. That makes me suspect that you are trolling and perhaps hate FB because it's so successful. That's common enough, about all kinds of companies.

"The cops contacted the tech experts on the force who discovered the website is based in Germany and efforts were made to have the profile removed. 

They said that people creating such profiles could face two months in jail and fines of 200,000 baht." 

At least they didn't say it all in the same paragraph! 

12 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Depends how you use it. It's been very useful to me as a journalist, tracing people I've wanted to interview, and finding old friends and keeping in touch with friends and family while I'm living in Thailand. I also belong to Groups relating to where I grew up or places that I know and like, and the football team I support.

And I don't know how you could be 'accidentally on it'. You have to sign up to join, and there is provision to also leave it, which doesn't take years. That makes me suspect that you are trolling and perhaps hate FB because it's so successful. That's common enough, about all kinds of companies.

I troll not. 

I hate FB and all it stands for, but not for its success per se.

Yes, you have to sign up - very easy to do.... too easy to do in innocence not realising the intrusive and all pervasive nature of the beast and what it does to your privacy.

Yes, their is a mechanism to leave.......buried deep in the verbiage at the bottom no-one ever reads. I had to find advice on Google on how to do it. It takes weeks, during which you are bombarded with spam telling you what a mistake you are making, it's not too late, please come back. Once you are off - whatever they may tell you, your details are not expunged, and if you ever click on someones facebook link, you will be recognised and bombarded with "people you may know" messages and such like crap.

I dismally fail to understand why anyone would want to publish every last detail of their miserable lives for all to see, including pictures of todays' breakfast. But then, I also fail to understand the compulsive "selfie" culture. Does anyone else really want to see your picture obscuring: a beautiful sunset, a car, an elephants' backside, the inside of a rather dreary room, etc.? Not many, I think, and they're all brain dead.

I quite see that it is useful to you professionally, your job after all is by definition intrusive and investigative. The question is, are the elusive bad people you are really looking for stupid enough to have facebook pages so you can find them? It would seem so.

As to family, friends, and football, up to you, but whats wrong with email for family, keep it private, and a dedicated website for the team, or fanclub, etc.

I do, by the way, read and admire the quality of your posts.

G.

8 minutes ago, Grusa said:

I quite see that it is useful to you professionally, your job after all is by definition intrusive and investigative. The question is, are the elusive bad people you are really looking for stupid enough to have facebook pages so you can find them? It would seem so.

You are making erroneous assumptions (something as a journalist I take pains not to do, by the way). FB has been useful to me as a tennis journalist, for example in tracing and contacting retired players to write about their life now. It's a mystery why you assume that, because I am a journalist, my work automatically is in tracking down 'elusive bad people'. You appear to believe that all journalists write negative stories, when in fact they are a very small minority. Maybe you don't read newspapers so you don't know that.

17 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You are making erroneous assumptions (something as a journalist I take pains not to do, by the way). FB has been useful to me as a tennis journalist, for example in tracing and contacting retired players to write about their life now. It's a mystery why you assume that, because I am a journalist, my work automatically is in tracking down 'elusive bad people'. You appear to believe that all journalists write negative stories, when in fact they are a very small minority. Maybe you don't read newspapers so you don't know that.

You misconstrue me. I make no assumptions about your reporting, or any others' for that matter, being positive or negative - it is what it is, a story is a story, if it's published it is good for you, if it is canned, it is not. The fact remains, journalism is by definition investigative, otherwise how do you get a story, and if you are writing about human beings, intrusive to a greater or lesser extent.

I do not believe that all journalists write negative stories. I know otherwise. I also know that negative stories raise more headlines than do positive ones. And I know that headlines are what sell newspapers, not to mention TV. And selling newspapers is what pays journalists' salaries, commissions, whatever. There are those who would argue that the advertising is what pays the salaries, but if you can't sell the news, you aren't going to sell the advertising.

Newspapers, I do read, especially if I can get hold of a reputable rag without attaining bankruptcy!

However, we are deviating from the point. I intend no personal attack or offense to you. My point was concerning F***book, it's effects on society, and my opinions thereof. I note you have deleted any reference to those matters from the quote - can I therefore assume you agree with me? I know many do.

42 minutes ago, Grusa said:

You misconstrue me. I make no assumptions about your reporting, or any others' for that matter, being positive or negative - it is what it is, a story is a story, if it's published it is good for you, if it is canned, it is not. The fact remains, journalism is by definition investigative, otherwise how do you get a story, and if you are writing about human beings, intrusive to a greater or lesser extent.

I do not believe that all journalists write negative stories. I know otherwise. I also know that negative stories raise more headlines than do positive ones. And I know that headlines are what sell newspapers, not to mention TV. And selling newspapers is what pays journalists' salaries, commissions, whatever. There are those who would argue that the advertising is what pays the salaries, but if you can't sell the news, you aren't going to sell the advertising.

Newspapers, I do read, especially if I can get hold of a reputable rag without attaining bankruptcy!

However, we are deviating from the point. I intend no personal attack or offense to you. My point was concerning F***book, it's effects on society, and my opinions thereof. I note you have deleted any reference to those matters from the quote - can I therefore assume you agree with me? I know many do.

You wrote: The question is, are the elusive bad people you are really looking for... That clearly does assume I am after less than savoury characters. Never mind. It is also not intrusive. Anyone I want to speak with can say no, and in my line of work I rarely have to investigate anything. Much of the time I simply analyse and report what I see and hear. Like those who report on football matches, for example. There are many kinds of journalism.

I think you might find that you can read the London Times (one of the papers I used to write for in my more active days) for five pounds a month online. A reputable rag that won't bankrupt you. Other quality papers cost about the same, I think ????

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You wrote: The question is, are the elusive bad people you are really looking for... That clearly does assume I am after less than savoury characters. Never mind. It is also not intrusive. Anyone I want to speak with can say no, and in my line of work I rarely have to investigate anything. Much of the time I simply analyse and report what I see and hear. Like those who report on football matches, for example. There are many kinds of journalism.

I think you might find that you can read the London Times (one of the papers I used to write for in my more active days) for five pounds a month online. A reputable rag that won't bankrupt you. Other quality papers cost about the same, I think ????

When you mentioned reading newspapers, I took it to mean actual newsprint, made from trees and used to wrap fish and chips (yes I known it's been banned as poisonous, but you know what I mean).

Of course I read online e-versions: even "The Nation" as paraphrased here! I doubt I could get even one paper copy of the Times for a fiver, unless nicked from a first class lounge somewhere!

1 hour ago, Grusa said:

When you mentioned reading newspapers, I took it to mean actual newsprint, made from trees and used to wrap fish and chips (yes I known it's been banned as poisonous, but you know what I mean).

Of course I read online e-versions: even "The Nation" as paraphrased here! I doubt I could get even one paper copy of the Times for a fiver, unless nicked from a first class lounge somewhere!

Whenever I was working at a big tournament overseas, it was required that any journos arriving from the UK had to bring all the papers with them. If they did not they were in the doghouse. The fact the papers were then read a day or two late was of no consequence at all. Times have certainly changed.

On 10/11/2018 at 1:43 PM, possum1931 said:

you can dress "sexily"... you can wear tight skimpy shorts that shows half your butt cheeks. You can wear tops with no bras that shows off your shapely nipples. You can wear skirts and no underwear. The question is: are you gonna look sexy in them? 

Archived