Sorry about that: Tourist police chief presents "huge" check to family of shooting victim

webfact

Sorry about that: Tourist police chief presents "huge" check to family of shooting victim

10pm1.jpg

A press conference has been help to present checks worth two million baht to the family of the victim of the shooting in Pratunam. 

Basant Gakhreja, 45, the distraught elder brother of Dheeraj Gakhreja, 41, received two checks worth one million baht each. 

Dheeraj died after being hit by a stray bullet. 

The payout totals about $US 60,000.  

One check came from the Ministry of Tourism and Sports and the other was from insurers Chubb. 

The checks were huge in the sense that they took up a lot of space in the press photos. 

Four people were wounded in the shooting behind the Pratunam shopping center. They have also received compensation and are recovering in Ratchathewi Hospital. 

The Tourist Police Bureau site on Facebook said that the hunt for those responsible goes on. 

One man has already turned himself in to cops.

The TPB under the leadership of acting commissioner Maj-Gen Terapon Kuptanond and the metropolitan police are investigating. 

Earlier it was reported that "war weapons" may have been used by three men who attacked a group of 20 others who came out of a snooker hall. 

Source: Tourist Police Bureau

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-10

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do they think for real it's a huge check?

They make them-self ridiculous and I thought Thai people don't like to loose face, now here they do for the rest of the world!

26 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

How utterly crass and abhorrent from the authorities.

RIP to the victims and condolences to the families. 

the first thing I thought as well. All PR. All it needs is Miss Pinky Promise to give the oversize checks out

"...A press conference has been help to present checks worth two million baht to the family of the victim of the shooting in Pratunam..." 

A press conference? Why the hell was there a press conference? Is the man's death a PR opportunity?

"...Sorry about that..."

This is a vile, disgusting and sickening story.

The cheques still aren't big enough when you reckon in

they are for an innocent person's life,someone who happened

to be in the wrong place,how much did the Loas man get who

was shot at the same time.?

regards Worgeordie

4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

The cheques still aren't big enough when you reckon in

they are for an innocent person's life,someone who happened

to be in the wrong place,how much did the Loas man get who

was shot at the same time.?

regards Worgeordie

Why would Thai authorities give any cheque at all? Did police shoot him?

I find it difficult to get around, actually find it quite repulsive.  These people are using the death of foreigners for a photo opportunity, pat themselves on the back and promote tourism.  Trying to buy people off with a miserly amount is also offensive.

Well if you come from India , 2 million baht is a big sum of money so I am sure the relatives of the victim will spend them wisely even if they are in shock over the death of a family member. 

But the problem here is the press conference it self , it should have been a private gift to the family , not a big public display. But the ministry of tourism will even use a tragedy like this to promote Thailand. 

• Extremely tasteless way to present the money like he's "won" something BUT there has to be some commendation for paying 1 million baht to the victim's family. That is a lot of money when you consider we're in Thailand. If compared to US payouts that start from 300,000 Baht and UK ones that are set at about 500,000 Baht if the victim has a single family claimant or 250,000 Baht per person if there are more claimants.

11 minutes ago, SABloke said:
  • Extremely tasteless way to present the money like he's "won" something BUT there has to be some commendation for paying 1 million baht to the victim's family. That is a lot of money when you consider we're in Thailand. If compared to US payouts that start from 300,000 Baht and UK ones that are set at about 500,000 Baht if the victim has a single family claimant or 250,000 Baht per person if there are more claimants.

Can you provide sources and/or links to the US and UK cases where tourists have been shot dead and then the government paying these sums to the deceased's family? I'd like to read more about them. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

Can you provide sources and/or links to the US and UK cases where tourists have been shot dead and then the government paying these sums to the deceased's family? I'd like to read more about them. Thanks.

I just searched for crime compensation in UK/US and came across many websites that give figures. The US is more muddled due to difderent states having different laws, but the UK is more cut and dry with figures i.e. the Criminal Injuries Compensation Act 1995 outlines specifics.  www.legalexpert.co.uk had a nice table with different figures for different situations.

The money, no doubt, will be appreciated by the family but the media circus method of giving it has to be one of the most ridiculous things I’ve seen.

Excuse the pun but this is a prime example of an “ Indian giver “.

Hopefully someone will point out how crass and uncaring their actions are and a severe amount of face will be lost !!

If he had been Chinese Prayut and Prawit would have been there in front of the cameras as a tag team to hand over the cheque and do some high performance grovelling.

But since he was non-Chinese those two wouldn't even be bothered getting out of bed to show their respects. That job is best given to lower ranks.

16 hours ago, stevenl said:

Why would Thai authorities give any cheque at all? Did police shoot him?

I don't recall them presenting a cheque to the rape and murder victims Hannah Witheridge and David Miller either. Perhaps it's a new policy?

Archived