Sorry about that: Tourist police chief presents "huge" check to family of shooting victim

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Immoral PR stunt to try to divert public opinion from their failure to find the criminals. These people need training in how to run a proper PR exercise as well as training in how to catch a criminal. Not safe on the streets with this lack of training by the agency responsible for law and order.

1) interesting to see the tag on a non-Thai; I could not get the coverage of my staff beyond B 100'000 on the social security
2) wondering where this money came from so fast
3) I am flabbergasted by the thought, that the authorities step in with cheques which, to me, is taking responsibility for the death
4) how many more cheques have to be issued and handed over until the BiB start doing the job they are paid for instead of setting-up their "highway check-points" for toll payments of all sort of nature 

18 hours ago, Wiggy said:

We think your brother's life is worth $60,000. Now go away and say good things about Thailand.

Utterly disgraceful. A new low.

So, no compensation, only Sorry? At least it covers repatriation and funeral. Big question, How did the youngsters get all the guns? 

25 minutes ago, Dibbler said:

Immoral PR stunt to try to divert public opinion from their failure to find the criminals. These people need training in how to run a proper PR exercise as well as training in how to catch a criminal. Not safe on the streets with this lack of training by the agency responsible for law and order.

One suspect found, the rest will follow. The event was random, the death accidental. What would you suggest to pre-empt random accidents, genius?

18 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Do they think for real it's a huge check?

They make them-self ridiculous and I thought Thai people don't like to loose face, now here they do for the rest of the world!

Guess you didn't read the OP's post, it said "The checks were huge in the sense that they took up a lot of space in the press photos."

30 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

????Life is worthless in some parts of the world????

Life is worth 2million baht in Thailand. In any other country, well, at least in the Western world your life would be worth $0 as you wouldn't get one cent from the government when some idiot shot you dead.

Probably the best that they could have done, and a good thing, what would they have got in Australia or back in India if it had happend there ? probably NOTHING !!! ...  Criminal cases like this happen every where !!! ... How much do the Poor Victims of the ever increasingly frequent school shootings in the states get ???-

I like Thailand, and the Thai people ... but like every where else, ... You Take Yar chances. ... Going out on the motor bike now ... ... (Don't like it ? ... Don't come here.)

...competition is on, to be the next "big joke".   ...and today's winning media bitch is                          (All entries must include: proof of funds, hand drawn map to residence, picture in residence, fat brown envelope)

18 hours ago, stevenl said:

Why would Thai authorities give any cheque at all? Did police shoot him?

Yes, why give a check to anyone in such circumstances? There's no logical or moral need to do so, so maybe there's some other reason. Can't think of a moral reason to call a press conference either, can you?

9 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Many countries provide compensation for criminal injuries .................. typically after the court case has been concluded or if no charges could be filed.

Could be, but I never heard of it. You have any links to back this up?

How much did the red bull man give to the family he killed or his family.then he done a runner.that is the Thai way.my friend hit a scooter not his fault drunk driver.he had to pay 60k to the family otherwise they would continue to annoy him.can not replace his family but the money helps them and they buy a new pickup or scooter who knows.you will not change the way Thais deal with these things.the after party and gambling will still happen too

3 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

How much did the red bull man give to the family he killed or his family.then he done a runner.that is the Thai way.my friend hit a scooter not his fault drunk driver.he had to pay 60k to the family otherwise they would continue to annoy him.can not replace his family but the money helps them and they buy a new pickup or scooter who knows.you will not change the way Thais deal with these things.the after party and gambling will still happen too

200k but not true figure. It would have been millions. The brass kept it

Archived