Sorry about that: Tourist police chief presents "huge" check to family of shooting victim

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Huge?"  $30.5 K USD.  For a life?  You're kidding us all.
Hopefully the LOS will lose a few billion THB from the negative publicity caused by the fact that this country doesn't have control of it's streets.  Yeah, in other countries there are 'terrorist' attacks.  Here?  Just garden variety, native Thais taking to the streets with guns and shooting the place up like it's the US Wild West, civilians and tourists be damned.

9 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

And to think that poor thai family's get nothing or a few thousand baht when a loved one is killed in a similar situation shame on them 

Totally depends if the deceased is a Hiso elite Thai or a country-bupkin Thai.  With the later, yep, the family may get a few thousand baht.

Life is worth 2million baht in Thailand. In any other country, well, at least in the Western world your life would be worth $0 as you wouldn't get one cent from the government when some idiot shot you dead.
You would in the UK. There is criminal compensation system. It's not particularly generous and there is no photo-op when payment is eventually made.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, Thechook said:

I find it difficult to get around, actually find it quite repulsive.  These people are using the death of foreigners for a photo opportunity, pat themselves on the back and promote tourism.  Trying to buy people off with a miserly amount is also offensive.

Bad enuf that they think money somehow compensates for the loss of a human life. But absolutely disgusting that they make a public display of the whole affair in the belief that it "saves face". Lived here for more than 7 years and shameless incidents like this make me wonder why I stay.

20 hours ago, stevenl said:

Why would Thai authorities give any cheque at all? Did police shoot him?

Most governments in the West have Victim Compensation funds for victims of violent crimes.  This is nothing unusual other than the utter nonsense of making it a publicity stunt  - horribly bad taste.

30 minutes ago, connda said:

Most governments in the West have Victim Compensation funds for victims of violent crimes.  This is nothing unusual other than the utter nonsense of making it a publicity stunt  - horribly bad taste.

As I said earlier, could be correct, but looking forward to links about this.

Since UK was mentioned by somebody else, just found this, https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/criminal-injuries-compensation-authority/about.

The brother clearly distressed is made to take part in this “promo” resembling a game show on tv ... that in itself is cruel and twisted ..

Big question why are the cops paying blood money at all?

But even more sinister, they by creating a “”price for a life” even if by persons unknown, have created a opportunity for someone with a devious mind to have someone “assassinated” then go collect the cops 1.000.000bt + cubb’s 1.000.000 at the “come on down” promo circus.

This is worrying as now we all know our worth so it’s against all our rules of “don’t be worth more dead than alive”

So watch out for that and maybe start wearing camouflage!

^^

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

So many I see use words like pathetic, insensitive and so on.

You all want they wake the dead man up and alive  or what ?!?

And when that is impossible You all think the family should say no thank You

to 2.000.000 baht.

That I will call pathetic !

3 hours ago, jgarbo said:

One suspect found, the rest will follow. The event was random, the death accidental. What would you suggest to pre-empt random accidents, genius?

Start with training in investigation techniques (note: the one suspect was "found" because he gave himself up!). Then training for senior managers in how to sensitively and ethically engage with the relatives of murder victims (note 2: carrying an AK-47 in public is not a random event it was purposely carried to commit a crime, so the suspect will be charged with murder, not accidental killing).  That photo will live on infamously across social media around the world for it's insensitivity. Looks like the TP are staging a game show with the relatives the "winners".  Imagine what people back home in India will think seeing this splashed across the local newspaper middle pages?

Huge check one million ฿? Allow me to laugh no I cannot for such a sad story, so only disagreeing. It is certainly not a huge check for an innocent human life stolen.              I am not a rich man and it is more or less what I spend every year in LOS, the last car I bought not included. A huge check :whistling:Pfffff

Plus showing it like that with this panel like for a lottery winner it's indecent.

21 minutes ago, Dibbler said:

Start with training in investigation techniques (note: the one suspect was "found" because he gave himself up!). Then training for senior managers in how to sensitively and ethically engage with the relatives of murder victims (note 2: carrying an AK-47 in public is not a random event it was purposely carried to commit a crime, so the suspect will be charged with murder, not accidental killing).  That photo will live on infamously across social media around the world for it's insensitivity. Looks like the TP are staging a game show with the relatives the "winners".  Imagine what people back home in India will think seeing this splashed across the local newspaper middle pages?

"That photo will live on infamously across social media around the world for it's insensitivity."

Disagree with you there, this will all be forgotten by tonight, except maybe here on TVF. And also here after tomorrow it will calm down.

It is not the police or any authorities that shot the victim. If this happened to a tourist  in some gangland war in America , what would the compensation be from the authorities ? I guess thailand police just want to make a statement that they care for what happened to the tourist and what better than to make a press statement to that effect. .

4 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

And to think that poor thai family's get nothing or a few thousand baht when a loved one is killed in a similar situation shame on them 

Maybe the amount compensated is relative to the impact on the economy with such killing. The killing of the Indian tourist is definitely making an impact on tourism from India. 

It's both sad and revolting that they put the 1 million baht figure on such a massive cheque.

It's like the figure a bar girl asks for when you say, "what do you want"?

And the answer 1 million baht. 

And oh but wait, here's another one for another 1 million baht..

Sets a bad precedent if ever they owned up to a shooting going wrong. 

Talk about car chasers, it will be bullet chasers next.

I don't get it, why is everyone disgusted by 2M compensation? It's quite decent money and should come in handy under such unfortunate circumstances. I think it is praiseworthy that such compensation system is in place.

Sent from my CRO-L22 using Tapatalk

I don't get it, why is everyone disgusted by 2M compensation? It's quite decent money and should come in handy under such unfortunate circumstances. I think it is praiseworthy that such compensation system is in place.

Sent from my CRO-L22 using Tapatalk

I think it’s the manner in which it was presented that is causing the disgust.

2M is indeed a good sum of money and as you say will come in handy for family of the deceased.

But why did they have to present it in a “ game show “ manner , with a large cheque which is only used for Teletons or game shows or money collected and presented to a charity etc ?

If compensation is given then it should be in a respectful manner, after all the money is given to the family of a man killed through no fault of his own other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time !!

Instead it is turned into a circus with the Tourist Police Chief using it as an opportunity to promote Tourism by basically saying “ look at us , look how generous we are “, plus, all the usual hangers on just there for the photo opportunity.

No respect given for the family members privacy, just another media exercise !!

Geez for christ's sake do you have to make a press conference out of it?  Such a low PR stunt at the expense of the dignity of the deceased and his relatives.  The look of his brother says it all.  As a thai person it makes me ashamed more then anything.

I agree that the Public way the victems family got paid was disgusting, but

to Thais 2 million baht is a lot of money. I knew a CM cop who made 9000

Canadian dollars or 180,000 baht per year, as a cop who was on the force for 10 years.

I just love the way that the foreign expats and foreign tourists forget how fortunate they all are

and think that the Thais are all equally as rich.

Geezer

Archived