Sorry about that: Tourist police chief presents "huge" check to family of shooting victim

webfact

I think it’s the manner in which it was presented that is causing the disgust.

2M is indeed a good sum of money and as you say will come in handy for family of the deceased.

But why did they have to present it in a “ game show “ manner , with a large cheque which is only used for Teletons or game shows or money collected and presented to a charity etc ?

If compensation is given then it should be in a respectful manner, after all the money is given to the family of a man killed through no fault of his own other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time !!

Instead it is turned into a circus with the Tourist Police Chief using it as an opportunity to promote Tourism by basically saying “ look at us , look how generous we are “, plus, all the usual hangers on just there for the photo opportunity.

No respect given for the family members privacy, just another media exercise !!

I agree that the presentation is ridiculous, but I just see it as the Thai way of dealing with such matters. There are always pictures taken at such occasions. I'm so used to it that I don't feel much disgust over it, it's pretty awkward, but it is what it is.

I'm pretty impressed by the sum awarded as compensation though and don't think most of those calling it a ridiculously low amount would actually reject it in the same situation.

I know I'd be grateful for a 2M compensation to my family should I die here under such misfortunate circumstances.

Sent from my CRO-L22 using Tapatalk

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/10/2018 at 2:32 PM, webfact said:

Sorry about that: Tourist police chief presents "huge" check to family of shooting victim

10pm1.jpg

Absolute self serving,....... Baffoons in Brown, the guy in the middle looks very pissed at the cop.....

19 hours ago, kolumats said:

I don't get it, why is everyone disgusted by 2M compensation? It's quite decent money and should come in handy under such unfortunate circumstances. I think it is praiseworthy that such compensation system is in place.

That is not what most people here are complaining about. We all agree on the compensation. 

It's the public display , press conference and big oversized cheques , like it some sort of game show. Thais have clearly no clue about how to be respectful in front of the victims . 

It should have been a private ceremony , only for the police , insurance company and family. But Ministry of Tourism is behind this , that says it all. 

On 10/11/2018 at 1:36 PM, stevenl said:

"That photo will live on infamously across social media around the world for it's insensitivity."

Disagree with you there, this will all be forgotten by tonight, except maybe here on TVF. And also here after tomorrow it will calm down.

I guess you were wrong..... https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/indian-tourist-among-2-killed-in-shootout-in-thailand/story-kzb57mU4aIDIobEZTp9uKJ.html

21 hours ago, balo said:

That is not what most people here are complaining about. We all agree on the compensation. 

It's the public display , press conference and big oversized cheques , like it some sort of game show. Thais have clearly no clue about how to be respectful in front of the victims . 

It should have been a private ceremony , only for the police , insurance company and family. But Ministry of Tourism is behind this , that says it all. 

That's just the Thaiway.  Take it or leave it !!

Disgusting propaganda !!...human life is priceless....they should rather Stop wasting time chasing illegal cooks on overstay in foreign restaurants and use the manpower to arrest the culprits, pay for, all the funeral expenses repatriation of the bodies,  the airfares and hotel expenses of the families and have a ceremonial in honour of the victims and pay tribute and present national apologies.

On 10/11/2018 at 4:18 PM, kolumats said:

I don't get it, why is everyone disgusted by 2M compensation? It's quite decent money and should come in handy under such unfortunate circumstances. I think it is praiseworthy that such compensation system is in place.

Sent from my CRO-L22 using Tapatalk

Is it compensation?

Setting a precedent if it's the going rate.

On 10/12/2018 at 12:36 AM, metisdead said:

Grammar police posts and the replies have been removed. 

Troll posts and the replies have been removed. 

Keep up the good work. 

Several need a few days respite on here.

It's a social site. 

Not game warfare. 

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:35 AM, observer90210 said:

Disgusting propaganda !!...human life is priceless....they should rather Stop wasting time chasing illegal cooks on overstay in foreign restaurants and use the manpower to arrest the culprits, pay for, all the funeral expenses repatriation of the bodies,  the airfares and hotel expenses of the families and have a ceremonial in honour of the victims and pay tribute and present national apologies.

Realy.  You must be joking  !

• 11 months later...

The writer is suggesting that the check is big in size not in value!

The brother is obviously distraught in this picture and it appears forced to accept this “game show cheque” and is expected to be grateful? Seems Thais just don’t get it ... this is Not the right thing to do at all - it’s just heartless!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 10/12/2018 at 5:59 PM, balo said:

This is just how Thais do things ... as you say the Compensation is a very good amount, how much would you get in Australia or the UK, or the US ? Probably noting. .... This is how Thais do things .... Like it or not, there are a lot of Positives about Living here ... I just put up with the negatives, as long as they substantially less than the Positives.

I do believe that they have easily caught the people that did this. ... Though once again ... their probably rich Families, are probably just doing their best to Derail any Real Justice.

Like I have seen my family do this in a minor case of just Theft, still it would have been the poor, shop owners profits for over a month I reckon ! So a <deleted> of a thing for the Little P, to do !!!  .... The Boy was Totally Guilty, (I think, and we know who his accomplice was that was standing lookout, out on the street) ... but well, Lies and corruption, and the whole family sticking together, and quite Corruptly, ..AND Openly, ... brow beating the Police and Caught system !!! ... And he got off !!! ...

Still they have got him twice now for Yaba, and Ice now I think, and he has done time (And so has the Accomplice) ... and well, not to sure what the status is between him and his nice Wife ? ... But we are not lending his mother any more Money either. and for quite a long time now.

TIT.  ... And God Bless Bernard Trink for coining that Phrase, or shortening, (What is the word for that Rooster ?) .... permissibly the best thing that he has ever done ! ? )

Archived