British Embassy statement on income letters: Officials knew about problems in May and say that US nationals will also be affected

webfact

British Embassy statement on income letters: Officials knew about problems in May and say that US nationals will also be affected 

ViAjpVyhpMkuUZW-800x450-noPad.jpg

The British Embassy in Bangkok has responded to Thaivisa urging for comments on the issuing of letters regarding income. 

They said that they had a meeting with immigration in May and told Thaivisa that they are "not verification experts".

They have also claimed that US nationals will also be caught up in the problems as their embassy is also said to be stopping notarized letters in this regard as well. 

The reply to questions from Thaivisa came in a statement via email from the British Embassy. 

The full text of the reply is below:

"The decision was made by the British Embassy following a meeting with immigration in May in which they confirmed that they expect the embassy to verify all sources of income of British Nationals requesting an income letter.  Consular officers are not verification experts and therefore cannot fulfil (sic) this requirement. We also cannot verify income from every income source in every country of the world. Thai Immigration is able to verify the income in a Thai bank account, therefore British Nationals should show evidence of minimum funds for their visa type by showing a Thai bank statement and/or bank book. This is not a new requirement and has always been an option for foreigners renewing retirement and marriage visas in Thailand".

Regarding the way forward the British Embassy Bangkok told Thaivisa.com

"British Nationals should now demonstrate that they have an amount of at least 800,000 THB in an account in Thailand for no less than three months prior to the visa application, or a monthly income of at least 65,000 THB transferred into an account in Thailand for a retirement visa. For a marriage visa, the amounts are at least 400,000 THB in an account in Thailand for no less than three months prior to the visa application, or a monthly income of at least 40,000 THB transferred into an account in Thailand. A bank statement should be used as the supporting document for obtaining a Thai retirement or marriage visa. If the British National doesn’t already have a bank account, they should open one and follow the steps above".

Asked if they were aware of action by other embassies the British Embassy Bangkok said:

"Yes we are aware that the US embassy will also be stopping their notarised income letter.  Please contact them directly for further information". 

The issue has been one of the most widely commented upon stories of the year on Thaivisa. 

Meanwhile the embassies of New Zealand and the Netherlands have confirmed to Thaivisa that they have no plans to stop the similar services they offer to their nationals in Thailand. 

"There is no change to the New Zealand Embassy’s current process.  New Zealand nationals are welcome to visit the Embassy to  complete a statutory declaration - and declare their income.

"Alternatively, the Embassy can also issue a consular letter to those who present evidence that income earned is from the Ministry of Work and Income (WINZ) or  Ministry of Social Development (MSD).   The fee for completing a statutory declaration or consular letter is THB 1,330."

A statement from the Embassy of the Netherlands read: "There is no indication that the Dutch Government is going to stop this service for its nationals".

Earlier this week the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok told Thaivisa it had no plans change to its current process.

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-10

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, webfact said:

"Yes we are aware that the US embassy will also be stopping their notarised income letter.  Please contact them directly for further information". 

So many disbelievers yesterday calling a Chiang Mai poster a troll :angry:

Fortunately no mention yet about Germany.

A friend even uses the honorary consul in Pattaya.

He says he always has documents/proof with him.

But the "verification" done by an assistant with little interest to look at.

https://www.thai-elite.com/  20 years

1  million  would  keep most of the ole dodderers  here until they expire I do the 400k in a  bank  account married to Thai maybe more weddings in order and then a  clampdown on those next.

I dont like anyone snooping  into where my  money comes from and if they start that too  much Ill switch to the THai Visa  Elite 20 year as at 1000000 its a   damn good  deal.

Folks  living here and who cant find a  million really should do some more  planning, its  just not that much anymore, bet the original Elites are having a laugh anyway.

Program gets  cancelled you get a partial refund.

Lesser  years available  5yrs 500k, no so much a bargain but if  you have a Wife or  just want to stay it aint so bad.

16 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

So just get a print out from your Thai bank showing your pension payments. Whats the problem, unless you have been lying.....

my lodgements are not monthly they are twice yearly, I assume that will count for the same thing over 12 monthsbe interesting to see how they work that out

Lets assume for a moment that 800k baht is 20k sterling and you pay in 10k sterling annually (income) and keep a balance of above 10k throughout the year, does that then equal 20k or 800k baht, like to see how they work that out lol

If they have known about it since May, why are they only telling us about it now? Having to move chunks of money from the UK to Thailand , to sit in a local account, at a time when the exchange rate is particularly poor so as to suddenly have money in place, is not funny. The Embassy seems to be finding it harder and harder to provide the services it has been able to do previously. It is close to the point where it is pointless them being there at all.

I am not affected but it's a fatuous and slightly dishonest response from the Embassy. There is simply an annoying repetition of the Thai rules which presumably all applicants are already aware of. Nobody has seriously suggested that the British Embassy should genuinely verify the sources of income and indeed it would be fine if they added a clause to the effect that this was the information with which they had been provided but could not verify - or any legal get out they wanted. It's just a bit of Thai bureaucracy to be satisfied.

The true answer of course is the Embassy just can't be bothered. It's too much hassle already given the paperwork and they know the Brits concerned are pretty much unrepresented - no pesky lobbying group like the British Chamber of Commerce to bother with.

Grab a senior diplomat to plead these pensioners' case and he will make sympathetic remarks and shrug his shoulders.Very unfortunate old boy but you know how it is - these consular fellows have a mind of their own etc ( but inwardly will mumble - when will these tattooed old fatties stop complaining. It's bad enough one has to rub shoulders with them once a year at the Ploenchit Fair). 

1 minute ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

You can barely open a bank account now without a work permit. 

Took my mate to the Bangkok Bank in the Emporium, explained that he needs a bank account for his retirement visa to pay the 800k into (he's minted so no issues) and was told no, need to have work permit. I argued that he was retired and is not working LOL. Was told cannot open bank account without work permit. 

He did it in Pattaya instead. 

Dont you just love the mindset though????

5 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

If they have known about it since May, why are they only telling us about it now? Having to move chunks of money from the UK to Thailand , to sit in a local account, at a time when the exchange rate is particularly poor so as to suddenly have money in place, is not funny. The Embassy seems to be finding it harder and harder to provide the services it has been able to do previously. It is close to the point where it is pointless them being there at all.

open a sterling account with Bangkok Bank and transfer in sterling from the UK, the sterling account can be used for 12 month extension

15 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

So just get a print out from your Thai bank showing your pension payments. Whats the problem, unless you have been lying.....

Thai immigration law states, you have to have the amount before tax, it does not state that you have to bring it into the country

8 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

The problem is Thailand Immigration only accepting embassy income letter at the moment. There is no info the immigration will accept anything else.  Well the embassy is suggesting they will accept bank statements but that is not what immigration is telling enquirers.  I conceed its early days and it will be resolved for those effected .. but B.Embassy should coordinate / seriously pester Imigration to confirm bank method acceptable NOT throw this at us and say we washing our hands of it. Over to you we dont care.

Bank income method being not confirmed is the problem .. and immigration telling people embassy not correct in saying it.  But me wait to see good idea !!!!

2 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

Keep the lump sums nice and safe in your home country's bank and send your self 65.000 every month

Embassy income letters are required for all income based applications. So sending a million baht a month wouldn't overcome that basic requirement. 

2 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

Keep the lump sums nice and safe in your home country's bank and send your self 65.000 every month

Sending yourself 65k of your own savings to yourself - how does that qualify at 65k of income that you are receiving?

24 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

Seriously? The problem is that Thai immigration requires embassy income letters for all income based applications. 

The Embassy state - British Nationals should now demonstrate that they have an amount of at least 800,000 THB in an account in Thailand for no less than three months prior to the visa application, or a monthly income of at least 65,000 THB transferred into an account in Thailand for a retirement visa. For a marriage visa, the amounts are at least 400,000 THB in an account in Thailand for no less than three months prior to the visa application, or a monthly income of at least 40,000 THB transferred into an account in Thailand. A bank statement should be used as the supporting document for obtaining a Thai retirement or marriage visa. 

This would be fine...But they dont say that Immigration will now accept this as Proof & neither are Immigration!

2 minutes ago, Expattaff1308 said:

The Embassy state - British Nationals should now demonstrate that they have an amount of at least 800,000 THB in an account in Thailand for no less than three months prior to the visa application, or a monthly income of at least 65,000 THB transferred into an account in Thailand for a retirement visa. For a marriage visa, the amounts are at least 400,000 THB in an account in Thailand for no less than three months prior to the visa application, or a monthly income of at least 40,000 THB transferred into an account in Thailand. A bank statement should be used as the supporting document for obtaining a Thai retirement or marriage visa. 

This would be fine...But they dont say that Immigration will now accept this as Proof & neither are Immigration!

They don't say because they don't. Thai immigration requires embassy income letters from all income based applicants. Sure, that could change. But we've heard nothing saying it will. 

Cannot believe the BE knew about this in May yet decide in October to announce that they are giving us two months notice what a well organised set up they have in Bangkok sit on it for months until some bright spark wakes up and realises that they haven’t told there citizens about the changes it appears that they are blaming Thai immigration . Will be interested to hear what Big Joke thinks about this new development . I can see a mass exodus to neighbouring countries who will be more than happy to watch and see us put our money into there economy. 

9 minutes ago, PAWNEESE said:

The problem is Thailand Immigration only accepting embassy income letter at the moment. There is no info the immigration will accept anything else.  Well the embassy is suggesting they will accept bank statements but that is not what immigration is telling enquirers.  I conceed its early days and it will be resolved for those effected .. but B.Embassy should coordinate / seriously pester Imigration to confirm bank method acceptable NOT throw this at us and say we washing our hands of it. Over to you we dont care.

Bank income method being not confirmed is the problem .. and immigration telling people embassy not correct in saying it.  But me wait to see good idea !!!!

Certainly does seem to be a bit nonchalant with no conformation that this is a procedure that they have agreed with Thai Immigration to allow bank statements in place of the embassy letter. It would be understandable if they were exercising discretion and  not confirming this so as not to be seen speaking for Immigration but that goes out of the window when they then tell us about an announcement that the US Embassy have yet to make.

Just now, Orac said:

Certainly does seem to be a bit nonchalant with no conformation that this is a procedure that they have agreed with Thai Immigration to allow bank statements in place of the embassy letter. It would be understandable if they were exercising discretion and  not confirming this so as not to be seen speaking for Immigration but that goes out of the window when they then tell us about an announcement that the US Embassy have yet to make.

Yes, and that was in MAY.

Since then I have read a report saying the U.S. has changed the wording in their income letter document making it clear they claim no responsibility for the accuracy of the claims. But they are still issuing the REQUIRED letters. It seems to me there is a good chance that will be the final U.S. response instead of totally cutting off the REQUIRED letters as the British have. Or I could be wrong! 

Well I assumed the US would follow and others will announce the change as well.

No one using that method will sleep tonight & no amount of complaining will force the respective Embassy to do a thing as it's a Thai issue.

Oh sigh I do feel for the guys using the monthly income method but I think it's time to seriously consider an exit.

33 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

Two years ago I got a printout from Bangkok Bank. Thai Immigration refused my extension stating the printout does not meet the rules.

They gave me a 2 week extension and I flew to BKK to get the US Embassy letter. Cost r/t about B5000. 

Yesterday, I contacted a US Embassy representative who told me he has not heard any discussion about income letters. 

Archived