British Embassy statement on income letters: Officials knew about problems in May and say that US nationals will also be affected

webfact

Just now, wwest5829 said:

Really? Costs me $6.00 a month from Bangkok Bank and another $5.00 fo4 my transferring bank. But that is U.S., thought Brits enjoyed a like transfer....

ACH transfers from banks are ending in April using that scheme. IAT transfers directly from Social Security will still go through. Average U.S. pension is closer to 4OK baht than 65K.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jeffrey346 said:

Two years ago I got a printout from Bangkok Bank. Thai Immigration refused my extension stating the printout does not meet the rules.

They gave me a 2 week extension and I flew to BKK to get the US Embassy letter. Cost r/t about B5000. 

Yesterday, I contacted a US Embassy representative who told me he has not heard any discussion about income letters. 

No surprise. Has anyone ever heard of even one report of any income based application being accepted without an embassy income letter? I have not. 

I have a US$ account at Krungsri. It has well over the 800,000 Baht requirement for extension of stay (retirement). This may be a silly question, but will I have to change the required amount into Baht to satisfy Immigration? These are the kinds of details that can drive us crazy if told at Immigration that I need to have it in Baht and not US$! Anyone have an opinion on this?

Just now, nightbird said:

I have a US$ account at Krungsri. It has well over the 800,000 Baht requirement for extension of stay (retirement). This may be a silly question, but will I have to change the required amount into Baht to satisfy Immigration? These are the kinds of details that can drive us crazy if told at Immigration that I need to have it in Baht and not US$! Anyone have an opinion on this?

My opinion is almost definitely no impact to that. The controversy here is about income based applications not full 800K baht ones. 

36 minutes ago, kannot said:

https://www.thai-elite.com/  20 years

1  million  would  keep most of the ole dodderers  here until they expire I do the 400k in a  bank  account married to Thai maybe more weddings in order and then a  clampdown on those next.

I dont like anyone snooping  into where my  money comes from and if they start that too  much Ill switch to the THai Visa  Elite 20 year as at 1000000 its a   damn good  deal.

Folks  living here and who cant find a  million really should do some more  planning, its  just not that much anymore, bet the original Elites are having a laugh anyway.

Program gets  cancelled you get a partial refund.

Lesser  years available  5yrs 500k, no so much a bargain but if  you have a Wife or  just want to stay it aint so bad.

800,000 for me because I chose to marry a Brit instead of a Thai , what does pi$$ me off is the double standards if your married to a Thai you need much less yet all my mates who have Thai wives are always moaning about their wives spend spend culture . It’s time immigration set a figure regardless who your married to.

5 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

Well I assumed the US would follow and others will announce the change as well.

No one using that method will sleep tonight & no amount of complaining will force the respective Embassy to do a thing as it's a Thai issue.

Oh sigh I do feel for the guys using the monthly income method but I think it's time to seriously consider an exit.

We're all guessing here but I do not assume the U.S. and other major embassies will stop issuing the REQUIRED letters. 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, and that was in MAY.

Since then I have read a report saying the U.S. has changed the wording in their income letter document making it clear they claim no responsibility for the accuracy of the claims. But they are still issuing the REQUIRED letters. It seems to me there is a good chance that will be the final U.S. response instead of totally cutting off the REQUIRED letters as the British have. Or I could be wrong! 

The UK Embassy said as much in their letter....Mr Bloggs states he receives £xxxx pension and at the foot of the letter they write..The British Embassy accept no responsibility for the contents of this letter.

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Two years ago I got a printout from Bangkok Bank. Thai Immigration refused my extension stating the printout does not meet the rules.

They gave me a 2 week extension and I flew to BKK to get the US Embassy letter. Cost r/t about B5000. 

Yesterday, I contacted a US Embassy representative who told me he has not heard any discussion about income letters. 

Aww that sucked, I’m a ways off from retiring but understand the panic, wait until they also require you guys to have proof of a 40,000baht plus health care plan every year.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

My opinion is almost definitely no impact to that. The controversy here is about income based applications not full 800K baht ones. 

I understand, but I have been using the Embassy notarized letters as income statement. If they no longer are going to do it, I have to resort to the 800K in the bank. 

2 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

800,000 for me because I chose to marry a Brit instead of a Thai , what does pi$$ me off is the double standards if your married to a Thai you need much less yet all my mates who have Thai wives are always moaning about their wives spend spend culture . It’s time immigration set a figure regardless who your married to.

and if you are a woman married to a Thai Guy no income is required.

4 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Cannot believe the BE knew about this in May yet decide in October to announce that they are giving us two months notice what a well organised set up they have in Bangkok sit on it for months until some bright spark wakes up and realises that they haven’t told there citizens about the changes it appears that they are blaming Thai immigration . Will be interested to hear what Big Joke thinks about this new development . I can see a mass exodus to neighbouring countries who will be more than happy to watch and see us put our money into there economy. 

The BE doing what they do best. SFA.

There was a comment on a Pattaya based expat forum on 20th September from a poster who was given word by a contact in the Austrian embassy about the BE discontinuing the Income Letter service. So, this news was probably discussed on the embassy cocktail circuit by the BE Hooray Henrys well before the BE decided to inform their concerned citizens.

They really are a waste of space. 

2 minutes ago, nightbird said:

I understand, but I have been using the Embassy notarized letters as income statement. If they no longer are going to do it, I have to resort to the 800K in the bank. 

At the current time, that's the surest bet for everyone until this all shakes out. But many people either don't want to or can't swing that. Personally I was going to move from bank application to a combination application next year. So I'm personally bummed if I won't be able to do that.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

We're all guessing here but I do not assume the U.S. and other major embassies will stop issuing the REQUIRED letters. 

I'm not sure how many income certifications the US consulate does a year but at US$50 each for 5 minutes work, I don't think they will give up that cash cow. Easier than a brown envelope and legal as well.

David

2 minutes ago, Tiredofglasshalfemptyexpat said:

If you've less than 800k to your name you should be home anyway with your home state nannying you.  

You're making a lot of offensive insinuations. People often have large assets back home as well and have reasons for not wanting to lock up 800K here. 

33 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

Keep the lump sums nice and safe in your home country's bank and send your self 65.000 every month

30 minutes ago, smedly said:

too expensive on transfer fees

That’s all well and good but immigration clearly states that you have to have a letter from your embassy to confirm your income It doesn’t matter how much you bring in a month they want a letter of confirmation from that persons embassy.

6 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

Aww that sucked, I’m a ways off from retiring but understand the panic, wait until they also require you guys to have proof of a 40,000baht plus health care plan every year.

Fortunately my wife works for the Gov and I get 100% covered healthcare.

It wouldn't surprise me if Immigration disqualifies me stating it must be an independent policy.. lol 

4 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

I'm not sure how many income certifications the US consulate does a year but at US$50 each for 5 minutes work, I don't think they will give up that cash cow. Easier than a brown envelope and legal as well.

David

I also think it's more likely that the U.S. embassy will continue to issue the letters. As they're not taking responsibility for the accuracy, all that Thai immigration could do is reject their letters. So far, they are not doing that. But at at least one office they are demanding backup evidence for the letters. It's work they don't want to do so yes the conflict here is understandable from both parties. 

If Thai immigration actually did reject the letters from some embassies, then of course it would be a moot point if they're issued or not. Why get a letter that won't be accepted even with backup evidence? 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I also think it's more likely that the U.S. embassy will continue to issue the letters. As they're not taking responsibility for the accuracy, all that Thai immigration could do is reject their letters. So far, they are not doing that. But at at least one office they are demanding backup evidence for the letters. It's work they don't want to do so yes the conflict here is understandable from both parties. 

$50 that’s nothing the Brit Embassy is over 3,000 baht plus postage and that was three years ago before I went onto the 800,000

47 minutes ago, jayboy said:

they added a clause to the effect that this was the information with which they had been provided but could not verify -

The letter (costing nearly 4 times more than NZ Embassy) reads words to the effect - 'the applicant says he receives sufficient funds to satisfy Thai Immigration and we have no reason to doubt that.'  They insert your name & churn them out for  3 or 4 thousand baht.  So not content with freezing my pension; not content with selling their BKK land; they now deny us this over-priced service.   UK Gov will soon not be able to afford to maintain an Embassy here in the future.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

President Trump looks after his folk not like our Prime Minister she even freezes our pensions because we choose to live in Thailand .

Have written again to the Embassy quoting their statement to the Nation & Thaivisa

I have continued to follow with interest what if anything you are doing to assist the British Nationals who still require to stay in Thailand on Income.

I note that you have issued a statement to the Nation...

Regarding the way forward the British Embassy Bangkok told Thaivisa.com

"British Nationals should now demonstrate that they have an amount of at least 800,000 THB in an account in Thailand for no less than three months prior to the visa application, or a monthly income of at least 65,000 THB transferred into an account in Thailand for a retirement visa. For a marriage visa, the amounts are at least 400,000 THB in an account in Thailand for no less than three months prior to the visa application, or a monthly income of at least 40,000 THB transferred into an account in Thailand. A bank statement should be used as the supporting document for obtaining a Thai retirement or marriage visa. If the British National doesn’t already have a bank account, they should open one and follow the steps above".

This of course would be fine IF the Thai Immigration Dept accepted Bank Books or Bank Statements as proof of income but to date they still insist the only way to qualify on income is an Embassy Letter. It does seem you are saying one thing they are saying another.

Can you guarantee that you have successfully negotiated this solution with the Thai Authorities and that an announcement will be forthcoming from the Thai authorities enabling us to use Thai Bank Books / Statements as proof of income over the year that meets the 400 / 800k+ and equates to the monthly income required 40/65k (as stated by you)

Just now, chudless said:

Why is a problem? Just show your cash in  a Thai bank, sorted. Furore over nothing.

Its a problem for those wanting or needing to use an INCOME method and you would know that if you bothered to follow this issue at the most elementary level. 

2 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

President Trump looks after his folk not like our Prime Minister she even freezes our pensions because we choose to live in Thailand .

You think so??  If he did look after us there would not be a 300% import tax on US cars..

Archived