British Embassy statement on income letters: Officials knew about problems in May and say that US nationals will also be affected

webfact

8 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Interesting interview, but I see it as something of a missed opportunity. Why didn't he ask her about the discrepancy between what British Citizens are required to provide and what citizens of other countries have to provide? She can't speak for other embassies, but she can certainly ask Thai Immigration why the American Embassy, for example, does not need to verify the income.

She was wrong about the requirement for a letter from the Embassy. Just showing 65k deposited into a bank account every monthly doesn't prove anything.  It would be very easy to just to cycle the same 65k into and out of a bank for a year. That doesn't prove anything. What Thai Immigration need is evidence that you have income for the current year, not last year.

It's disappointing that 5 months after the meeting, and after already announcing the change in policy, she doesn't know what is actually happening on the ground. These are the requirement as listed on the BKK immigration website. See point 6.

image.png.fedb8eb71eb54cf7e6cdb0b957aa0b81.png

These are the requirements as given to me this month by an immigration officer in the BKK office.

image.png.3dd8584e06b115de565df01fb14cf513.png

This is interesting, as there is a slight change to previous versions under 6 - in the past the part about supporting documents wasn't there... But it still requires the letter, and it doesn't clarify what supporting documents are acceptable.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Austrians, Belgians, Dutch, Germans, Luxembourgers, using the services of the Austrian consulate in Pattaya, have to proof their income to obtain an " Income Letter ".

if such a letter is eventually not necessary anymore, this will represent a gain of 1600 ThB for every applier.

But a huge lost for the Austrian Honorary Consul ( XXX times 1600 ).

There may be some lobbying.

3 hours ago, Orac said:

At least it should be a relief to non-Brits since it appears the excuse that it was due to Thai Imm changes looks to be incorrect.
Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not Thai immigration changes but requirement of compliance in a rule previously applied but not strictly validated.

Just now, VYCM said:

I thought the interview was fair and challenging.

But she was allowed to perpetuate a lie which Tommy is compounding. i.e. Immigration will accept bank statements as proof of income. They will NOT.

Clear?

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

You, Tommy Dee, will have no doubt played your part in separating numerous expats from their families. //

It's a bit harsh Spidey :ohmy:

but I agree that everyone who try to persuade others than the monthly income in bank will be acceptable acts as a fool :sad:

The only information people should use (and trust) is the one from Thai Immigration.

1 minute ago, granuaile said:

This is interesting, as there is a slight change to previous versions under 6 - in the past the part about supporting documents wasn't there... But it still requires the letter, and it doesn't clarify what supporting documents are acceptable.

Yes. And the one I was given in person has the additional clause about the rental agreement, but the requirement for the letter is clear.

2 hours ago, zydeco said:

If it's true that the British Embassy does just 3000 letters per year, that means that even if ALL the letters were somehow based on fake or false statements that only four percent of British expats would be altering things.  Four percent!  And only if ALL were guilty.  All this trouble caused by what could be considered a rounding error in other circumstances

That is not a justification.

Just now, Pattaya46 said:

It's a bit harsh Spidey :ohmy:

but I agree that everyone who try to persuade others than the monthly income in bank will be acceptable acts as a fool :sad:

The only information people should use (and trust) is the one from Thai Immigration.

There will be many people who aren't Thai Visa members who will rely on Tommy's interview as the definitive fact.

They'll only realise that it's complete BS when they turn up at immigration to extend their visas and, by then, it will be too late for them and they'll be on the next plane home.

Thanks again Tommy for helping to shaft your compatriots.

14 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Did you listen to the interview?

She said people with a statement showing 65k per month comply.

but the IO still want the letter, what some madam at the BE says is like a fart in the great expanse of the cosmos, IO rules and they rule differently, as they please, from province to province but up until now they all say, ''yes, thank you for the bank statement, where's the embassy letter'' ?

21 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

These are the requirements as given to me this month by an immigration officer in the BKK office.

image.png.3dd8584e06b115de565df01fb14cf513.png

These are not requirements to renew a "Retirement Extension" !

These are requirements for the first step, when you change from your "on-Non-O visa" status to "on yearly retirement Extension" status.

Requirements when renewing your Extension are not so strict. :cool:

2 hours ago, habanero said:

I think what I fear most is, how many families will be left behind if the foreign husband or wife is forced to leave because they don't meet the requirements that are being mentioned. There will be no time to arrange for visas an in some cases the husband, wife or children may not qualify for a visa. Is the Thai government prepared to take care of all these families left behind? 

They will either use an agent or obtain their visa in the UK.

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

These are not requirements for a "Retirement Extension" !

These are requirements for the first step, when you change from your "on-Non-O visa" status to "on yearly retirement Extension" status.

Requirements when renewing your Extension are not so strict. :cool:

Yes, but anyone who doesn't currently have the Non-O needs to fulfill these requirements. If the British Embassy is no longer providing the letter,  nobody will now be able to get a Non-O in order to apply for the retirement extension.

I assume this started around May this year and again I assume Immigration told all the Embassies they had to verify the income. Most Embassies have obviously said lets just leave everything as it is - like all things in Thailand it will eventually go away and be forgotten about. Most embassies have said no change to there  procedures. The BE said we cannot do that - hence the stopping of the income letters.  Doubtful but if the BE asked immigration why xwz  embassies were still issuing [ non verified ] letters and Immigration were still accepting them I think the concern should be they STOP all income letters  regardless of nationality.

28 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

The Austrians, Belgians, Dutch, Germans, Luxembourgers, using the services of the Austrian consulate in Pattaya, have to proof their income to obtain an " Income Letter ".

if such a letter is eventually not necessary anymore, this will represent a gain of 1600 ThB for every applier.

But a huge lost for the Austrian Honorary Consul ( XXX times 1600 ).

There may be some lobbying.

Will he / she accept British Citizens ?????

Archived