how to make water tasty ?

poanoi

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:08 AM, poanoi said:

i cant bring myself to drinking water now that i dont eat thai food,

the old trick of squeezing lime in the water also dont work,

with the result i keep drinking fruit drinks & cranberry juice all the time,

which adds a whole shitload of calories that i certainly dont need.

what now ?

I think there are considerable differences in taste between water and water. Also different brands of bottled water taste different. And obviously it's a question of the temperature.

I think cool Mont Fleur tastes pretty good.

33 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think there are considerable differences in taste between water and water. Also different brands of bottled water taste different. And obviously it's a question of the temperature.

I think cool Mont Fleur tastes pretty good.

unless flavored, water should be water with no difference,

the main impact is how cold it is but i already drink as cold as it gets

there is the electrolyte satches in 7/11 come in orange or lime flavour.   I too got over the water I now just drink it during weight training. The sugared  drinks sold here just make me more thirsty.  I already done the lime / lemon drink to death.  If mangoes are cheap i put them thru a blender with ice.

23 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

there is the electrolyte satches in 7/11 come in orange or lime flavour.   I too got over the water I now just drink it during weight training. The sugared  drinks sold here just make me more thirsty.  I already done the lime / lemon drink to death.  If mangoes are cheap i put them thru a blender with ice.

Most of the electrolyte satches are good but you need to watch which ones have too much sugar.

Here are two of them. The Royal D is good but sugar levels are a little high.

Image.jpg

Image2.jpg

3 minutes ago, Silurian said:

Most of them are good but you need to watch which ones have too much sugar.

Here are two of them. The Royal D is good but sugar levels are a little high.

Image.jpg

Image1.jpg

the one I have says sucrose 4gms,  makes .5 litre is that high in sugar? 

1 hour ago, poanoi said:

unless flavored, water should be water with no difference,

the main impact is how cold it is but i already drink as cold as it gets 

Sorry, incorrect. Drinking water has always lots of micronutrients like potassium and things like that. And the combination of these micronutrients influences the taste. Personally I don't prefer "as cold as it gets". I guess I like it maybe with 5 degrees most - but I didn't measure the temperature.

1 hour ago, BigT73 said:

the one I have says sucrose 4gms,  makes .5 litre is that high in sugar? 

Well, according to recent health studies, men should have a daily intake of sugar around 37 to 38 grams. This accounts for normal activity. If you exercise (you mentioned weight training) you can increase the sugar intake accordingly. 

Sport drinks can be loaded with sugar (Gatorade!) so when looking at water additives one should also be aware of the amount of sugar added as well.

I've found the following rehydration salts brand to be a good one because you mix it with 750ml of water or 2 packets per 1.5 liter bottle for when you're dehydrated.

image.png.a5b8f70ee883849a6cfa76f7f63b2a37.png

Many of the others which are available taste like crap and only work with 200-300 ml of water which is not going to rehydrate anyone who needs rehydrating.

This ORS one also tastes pretty good with an orange flavour.

I buy the above by the box full, you might need to order them from a pharmacy as they're not as readily available as some of the other brands which have already been mentioned.

24 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I've found the following rehydration salts brand to be a good one because you mix it with 750ml of water or 2 packets per 1.5 liter bottle for when you're dehydrated.

image.png.a5b8f70ee883849a6cfa76f7f63b2a37.png

Many of the others which are available taste like crap and only work with 200-300 ml of water which is not going to rehydrate anyone who needs rehydrating.

This ORS one also tastes pretty good with an orange flavour.

I buy the above by the box full, you might need to order them from a pharmacy as they're not as readily available as some of the other brands which have already been mentioned.

This one looks better then what I was getting with the sugar content is about 5mg I used a online convertor, I never heard of mmol as a measurement! 

Its good to include these if your drinking the reverse osmosis water, I wouldnt put it past even some thai branded waters would use this process.  The osmosis pretty much strips all the nutrients from water in its process which makes you not properly hydrate.

51 minutes ago, Silurian said:

Well, according to recent health studies, men should have a daily intake of sugar around 37 to 38 grams. This accounts for normal activity. If you exercise (you mentioned weight training) you can increase the sugar intake accordingly.  

Thanks for the info!  I thought 4mg is harmless, I should have known better as I am a bodybuilder and ex rugby player.   I train twice a day but mornings is cardio to burn the extra calories,  which I then pile back on with my sugar drinks haha.

1. make infused water. Buy one of those infused water bottles and fill it with different fruits and spices every day. Leave it in the fridge to cool overnight, then in the morning you get a really delicious drink. And you can mix up your own thing, so it never gets boring (lemon water everyday, blegh!) My favorite is apple and cinnamon (sometimes I throw lime in the mix too). Use cinnamon sticks for this, not the powder.

2. https://www.facebook.com/memixway/ these are available at Tops for 80 Baht for 24 squirts. Whether there are any actual vitamins in them... better not hope for anything. But they do give flavor to water. It's really quite sweet though (what Thai drink isn't?) so I usually take more than the recommended amount of water for 1 squirt. The yellow one makes it look like you're drinking urine 

3. I've also tried putting a bit of fruit juice into a bottle of water. You get some flavor but not too many calories. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived