800,000 baht requirement for retirement visa extension

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:26 PM, elviajero said:

As a general rule/practice immigration do not request proof that the funds came from abroad when applying for an extension of stay, however, — to be clear — the funds are supposed to originate from abroad and they could ask for proof.

Why do you say that? Supposed why? There is nothing in the Police Order concerning Extensions about money from abroad.

You could be retired here, not working, and have revenues from Thailand.

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Why do you say that? Supposed why? There is nothing in the Police Order concerning Extensions about money from abroad.

I was curious about that as well..

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:
On 10/11/2018 at 10:26 AM, elviajero said:

As a general rule/practice immigration do not request proof that the funds came from abroad when applying for an extension of stay, however, — to be clear — the funds are supposed to originate from abroad and they could ask for proof.

3 hours ago, chang50 said:

I was curious about that as well..

It has always been the case that the funds should originate from abroad, but they do not currently, usually, ask for proof when applying for an extension of stay. They do still ask for proof when applying for a non-immigrant visa as a prerequisite to an extension of stay. I agree that some could receive revenues from Thailand, but those cases would be few and far between.

Lots of procedures/requirements are not listed in the police orders. For example; nowhere does it say in the police orders that an applicant must get a letter/affidavit from their embassy to satisfy evidence of income. The police orders are useful only as a basic guide as immigration offices receive additional orders in-between police order revisions.

p.s. "Supposed why?" 

The applicant is supposed to be retired (not working) and funding their stay from pensions/investments presumably built up in their home country.

Edited by elviajero

8 hours ago, elviajero said:

It has always been the case that … //

The applicant is supposed to … //

LOL. You speak as if you were "Mr I know everything about Visas & Immigration" but you can't give any proof of what you write :sleep:.  Then sorry, but until you show me some official document saying that funds (for Extension, not Visa!) must come from abroad, I will continue to fully disagree with you :cool:.

I have now have been given a retirement visa for 3 years now. The first granted after an expensive trip to London.  Proof of fund. No criminal record ..doctors report etc. Thereafter, I applied at Jomtien immigration using the expensive letter from the british embassy. I did show monies moving through my account from a number of income source. The sources were also detail. MOST of these funds were reinvested with a the much smaller amount taken as living expenses. As I own a property the amount I need is far less than the 800000. I also travel home 2-3 times a year for at least a month each time and when I return I hand carry cash to cover me to a least my next flight back home. 

I now need to renew at the end of June. I will return home at Xmas (as my condo become overrun with hotels.com holiday makers). Currently I have basically zero in my thai bank account but I have 5000+ sterling in my own safe. I would guess many do similar due to unwillingness to exchange due the effects of brexit on the pound. To raise the 800000 in one go I would need to cash in some ISA's obviously tax free and planed for my older age. I use my full tax free allowance to top up. Has anyone else had any idea to minimise costs regard bank transfers, loss of tax free earnings, transfer fees etc. Any high interest accounts or investment funds available to expats here in Thailand. I found the information out of our Embassy poor for this complex and brexit worrying times. How many months of 65000 payments would suffice ? 

Just had a thought as to why my Transferwise deposits to Kasikorn are not showing up as Foreign transfers perhaps someone could confirm please?

I've so far used the debit card method for ease as opposed to the bank single payment method.If I start doing the latter will it then show up on Kasikorn as a Foreign transfer Transferwise users please?

On 10/13/2018 at 3:32 AM, Pattaya46 said:
On 10/12/2018 at 6:53 PM, elviajero said:

It has always been the case that … //

The applicant is supposed to … //

LOL. You speak as if you were "Mr I know everything about Visas & Immigration" but you can't give any proof of what you write :sleep:.  Then sorry, but until you show me some official document saying that funds (for Extension, not Visa!) must come from abroad, I will continue to fully disagree with you :cool:.

As I explained, the requirement that the funds should come from abroad is historical. At this point in time immigration  do not, as a general rule, ask for proof when you apply for an extension.

I can opine several reasons why, but the fact that someone applying for a visa in Thailand must provide proof negates the need to prove that again when applying for an extension. And, in most cases, people applying for Non ‘O’ or ‘O-A’ in their home country are proving they have the funds in that country.

The Siam Legal website is effectively out of date — given the requirement they quote isn’t enforced in most cases — but it does confirm the requirement for the funds to come from abroad exists.

“Bank letter stating that the money had been deposited to the account from an oversea source for not less than 2 months.” https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/Thailand-Retirement-Visa.php

On 10/13/2018 at 3:32 AM, Pattaya46 said:

LOL. You speak as if you were "Mr I know everything about Visas & Immigration"

Grow up!