Video: Women survive as innocent Suzuki totaled at Surat Thani intersection

webfact

Video: Women survive as innocent Suzuki totaled at Surat Thani intersection

8pm_V.jpg

Picture: Manager

CCTV footage from an intersection in the southern Thai province of Surat Thani showed the moment that a Suzuki Swift was waiting for traffic to pass on Tuesday morning. 

A pick-up with container on the rear then appears on camera as it overturns and careens into the innocent Suzuki. 

Manager reported that the female driver and female passenger in the Suzuki were recovering in Tha Chang Hospital where they were conscious.

The fate of the pick-up driver was not mentioned in their report. 

The eleven second clip was posted on the Facebook page of Achara Paisanteerajit who said that the incident occurred at the Rachada intersection in Tha Chang district of Surat Thani.  

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-11

5 minutes ago, ttkeric said:

Hmm.... She appears to have pulled up and out completely into the first lane. Wonder if that's why a barrelling flipping to its side pickup truck flatten her? 

No mate. The Suzuki driver was correctly positioned. The pickup was out of control long before, I would suggest, as it was almost completely turned around by the time it came into the frame.

12 minutes ago, ttkeric said:

Hmm.... She appears to have pulled up and out completely into the first lane. Wonder if that's why a barrelling flipping to its side pickup truck flatten her? 

Maybe you need new glasses.

The  Suzuki driver did nothing wrong, was correctly positioned at the junction.

The pickup had lost it long before the junction.

Pick-ups of that type often come zooming past me at speeds of 100+ kph on blind corners or with oncoming vehicles. Maybe the quicker they get around their delivery route the more time they can have free. Yet another vehicle that needs restricted speeds, with 80kph written big on the body in red letters.

46 minutes ago, ttkeric said:

Shes  not in the first lane but she HAS crossed the SOLID STOP LINE  line at the junction on her side of the road which  might have saved her if she hadnt

Of course in the West we could claim it was  poorly maintained and barely visible in defence.

Untitcrash.jpg

would hazard a guess that the pick up had tried to undertake the truck in the narrow bike lane and gone onto the gravel shoulder at speed and lost it, probably because they saw her move out and they hit the breaks, admittedly she has gone past the stop line and into the bike lane but then most thai drivers sneak out further than they should but the pick up is at fault with the suzuki also partially at fault for going past the stop line into the bike lane.

12 minutes ago, seajae said:

would hazzard a guess that the pick up had tried to undertake the truck in the narrow bike lane and gone onto the gravel shoulder at speed and lost it, probably because they saw her move out and they hit the breaks, admittedly she has gone past the stop line and into the bike lane but then most thai drivers sneak out further than they should but the pick up is at fault with the suzuki also patially at fault for going past the stop line into the bike lane.

That would be my guess as well. The driver of the delivery truck got spooked by Suzuki car pulling too close to the intersection. While at the same time having no where to go if she pulled in any further (and we all know that many drivers here will enter the road without looking). So the driver panics, stomps the brakes and loses control due bad load balance or high a center of gravity.

So the Suzuki didn't enter the road, but she may very well have been a major contributor to the crash.

The people who continuously post comments like "If you drive sensibly and defensively in Thailand you will never have a problem" (you know who you are) need to take a long hard look at the video connected with the OP. You can argue that she had stopped further forward than is necessary but even so this is the sort or lunacy that we all face every time we venture out on to Thai roads. No one is immune.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

21 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

The people who continuously post comments like "If you drive sensibly and defensively in Thailand you will never have a problem" (you know who you are) need to take a long hard look at the video connected with the OP. You can argue that she had stopped further forward than is necessary but even so this is the sort or lunacy that we all face every time we venture out on to Thai roads. No one is immune.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Of course you are never free of problems, however do you think your free of trouble if you just use a taxi ? They might drive worse then you and they too can get in the same accidents. 

So we just have to accept that driving is a danger.

1 hour ago, ttkeric said:

i take it you were the driver of the pickup then! Better go to Specsavers!

2 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

No mate. The Suzuki driver was correctly positioned. The pickup was out of control long before, I would suggest, as it was almost completely turned around by the time it came into the frame.

Yes, the pickup looks like it was on an undertaking manoeuvre!!

Anyone driving regularly on Thai roads will know that there will be something blocking views of drivers coming out from junctions or intersections. Single lane road, pickup tried to overtake from left, big truck blocking view so he could not brake in time...

4 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Pick-ups of that type often come zooming past me at speeds of 100+ kph on blind corners or with oncoming vehicles. Maybe the quicker they get around their delivery route the more time they can have free. Yet another vehicle that needs restricted speeds, with 80kph written big on the body in red letters.

Agree in principle, but the Thai driver would claim he didn't see the sign because it was painted at the back instead of on the bonnet..

5 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

The way I see it is the white car was over the white line & in the road. The truck was undertaking the lorry & braked hard to avoid smashing sideways into the white car, now it’s in a out of control spin & crashes on top of the white car.

The blame is clearly on the driver of the white car.

''No mate. The Suzuki driver was correctly positioned. The pickup was out of control long before, I would suggest, as it was almost completely turned around by the time it came into the frame.''

The Suzuki driver should have stopped behind the white line.

It appears to be a pick up driven by a guy completely devoid of driving skills, who totally lost control of the truck. She was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hope she recovers. Horrific. People here take the kinds of risks and chances on the roads I have never seen anywhere else. And the toy police are seemingly completely incapable or unwilling to do anything about it. Never once seen a highway patrol car pull over someone. Not once. An extraordinary degree of indifference and disregard for the common man, on the part of the government.

Traffic safety is just not considered to be a priority, despise the highest death tolls of any nation on earth. One day Thailand will wake up to the terrible toll of highway fatalities and injuries, and the guys at the top will start taking responsibility for it. It might be decades from now, but it will happen. 

Lastly, a Suzuki cannot be innocent. The driver can, but vehicles are usually inpassive machines. 

I don't know about this junction but there are many where if you stop on the line you can't see anything up the road coming towards you. Looking at the road here the black bit is the main road she went forward to get a view of what might be coming , there my 25 Satang's worth.

Archived