Video: Women survive as innocent Suzuki totaled at Surat Thani intersection

webfact

9 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

The people who continuously post comments like "If you drive sensibly and defensively in Thailand you will never have a problem" (you know who you are) need to take a long hard look at the video connected with the OP. You can argue that she had stopped further forward than is necessary but even so this is the sort or lunacy that we all face every time we venture out on to Thai roads. No one is immune.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

and no one should forget it. there is no magic day where you overcome the madness.

Look a little closer - there were THREE moving vehicles. A large semi, a pickup NEXT TO and BEHIND (from our perspective) driving on the shoulder, and the idiot who initiated the damage. It looked like the semi was traveling at a pace not satisfactory to either of the other two smaller trucks. Three vehicles negotiating for the lead on a one lane road. "Thainess."

11 hours ago, kannot said:

Shes  not in the first lane but she HAS crossed the SOLID STOP LINE  line at the junction on her side of the road which  might have saved her if she hadnt

Of course in the West we could claim it was  poorly maintained and barely visible in defence.

Untitcrash.jpg

Technically, one is supposed to stop, and then creep forward as necessary to get a better view.  So she is likely to get some blame for this.  As for the pickup truck, well, he sure seemed to be speeding which by itself is not necessarily wrong if one is passing.  But I am not sure passing is allowed there or he should not have been passing so near an intersection. 

19 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

That would be my guess as well. The driver of the delivery truck got spooked by Suzuki car pulling too close to the intersection. While at the same time having no where to go if she pulled in any further (and we all know that many drivers here will enter the road without looking). So the driver panics, stomps the brakes and loses control due bad load balance or high a center of gravity.

So the Suzuki didn't enter the road, but she may very well have been a major contributor to the crash.

That's what I was thinking, pick-up driver possibly undertaking the truck, too close to the roadside when she appears to cross the "stop" line", he's now stuffed with nowhere to go, obviously going at a fair speed he's brake and lost control!

14 hours ago, Humpy said:

The Suzuki driver should have stopped behind the white line.

In the final analysis, I'm not sure that's the deciding factor. It's 3-4 seconds after the Suzuki stopped that the pickup enters the intersection zone, therefore more than enough time to assess the situation ahead of him. In that 3-4 seconds, the Suzuki was motionless, therefore creating no extra distraction for the pickup driver.

Also, in comparison to the other vehicles in the video, the pickup would appear to be travelling at quite some speed, even given that his forward momentum would have been slowed by his vehicle's loss of control and skidding.

If I was to make a guess, I would say that the pickup was being driven at speed and undertaking the truck, and the wheels slipped off the left edge of the tarmac, causing the vehicle to sway and the driver to lose control. If the Suzuki played any part in this loss of control it would only be as a consequence of the driver being inexperience or on drugs -- that is, he could not read the situation or was spooked. 

Good discussion, guys.

20 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

That would be my guess as well. The driver of the delivery truck got spooked by Suzuki car pulling too close to the intersection. While at the same time having no where to go if she pulled in any further (and we all know that many drivers here will enter the road without looking). So the driver panics, stomps the brakes and loses control due bad load balance or high a center of gravity.

So the Suzuki didn't enter the road, but she may very well have been a major contributor to the crash.

You make the assumption that the brakes worked! 

22 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

No mate. The Suzuki driver was correctly positioned. The pickup was out of control long before, I would suggest, as it was almost completely turned around by the time it came into the frame.

No mate, look at the white line on her lane behind her car. That is where she needs to stop and check for traffic. If she was where she should have been, the truck would never have hit her.

See what I mean mate?

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

Maybe you need new glasses.

The  Suzuki driver did nothing wrong, was correctly positioned at the junction.

The pickup had lost it long before the junction.

Nope, look again at the white line indicating where your vehicle should stop and then proceed when safe to do so. She went right over it at least 2 to 3 metres.

19 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Nope, look again at the white line indicating where your vehicle should stop and then proceed when safe to do so. She went right over it at least 2 to 3 metres.

So you are blaming the suzuki driver for the pickup drivers stupidity.

Words fail me.

99% of junctions here have something blocking drivers view, so drivers have to move forward to see.

19 hours ago, shady86 said:

Anyone driving regularly on Thai roads will know that there will be something blocking views of drivers coming out from junctions or intersections. Single lane road, pickup tried to overtake from left, big truck blocking view so he could not brake in time...

Its not single lane road  its dual carriageway separated by ditch, another  lorry was being  passed by another in that outer  lane,   white vehicle in the second lane in the video, there was  no need for "spas van" to undertake  he could have done it in the second lane. Dont know about Thailand but overtaking at any junction is  not allowed as well as undertaking in the UK apart from slower  stationary traffic or in one way roads

As many have said though often you have to pass the stop line as you simply  cannot see whats coming due to parked morons in the "bike lane".

Tomorrow  spasman will be out doing EXACTLY the same his reasoning being just bad  luck + the bonus of Buddha  take  care as he isnt dead. Double "miracle" .........unfortunately.

Never  forget Thailand, hub of uneducated morons.

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

So you are blaming the suzuki driver for the pickup drivers stupidity.

Words fail me.

99% of junctions here have something blocking drivers view, so drivers have to move forward to see.

Ha haha  Colin, you mean they are actually  looking????????

41 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I am not assuming they worked correctly though.

I believe you have to apply  pressure for them to work???? Although this wasnt a  Thai who told me this so dont take its as Gospel 

23 hours ago, ttkeric said:

Hmm.... She appears to have pulled up and out completely into the first lane. Wonder if that's why a barrelling flipping to its side pickup truck flatten her? 

Yes I agree, she should have stopped at the white line, BUT then she would have had difficulty see right down the oncoming carriageway.

22 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Bad load balance and centre of gravity is spot on. It's almost like pickups aren't designed for it and the manufacturer tells you repeatedly. 

20 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

One reason after my last long trip,i vowed never again to drive anywhere but local,not so bad around my way save for the idiot teenage boys with loud exhausts.

You could always blame the malfunctioning brakes....

On 10/12/2018 at 10:16 AM, kannot said:

Its not single lane road  its dual carriageway separated by ditch, another  lorry was being  passed by another in that outer  lane,   white vehicle in the second lane in the video, there was  no need for "spas van" to undertake  he could have done it in the second lane. Dont know about Thailand but overtaking at any junction is  not allowed as well as undertaking in the UK apart from slower  stationary traffic or in one way roads

As many have said though often you have to pass the stop line as you simply  cannot see whats coming due to parked morons in the "bike lane".

Tomorrow  spasman will be out doing EXACTLY the same his reasoning being just bad  luck + the bonus of Buddha  take  care as he isnt dead. Double "miracle" .........unfortunately.

Never  forget Thailand, hub of uneducated morons.

Agreed. 'not a single lane road'.   It is the ÁH2', is dual carriageway both directions, along with a bike lane. There is a long sweeping right curve about 100-150 mtr up the road. If one stops at the 'white' line, the view of the oncoming traffic on the AH2 is obstructed by a street sign and vegetation. . I am guessing that due to speed and complete lack of driving prowess, spasman had already compromised himself on that curve, resulting in the carnage that HE created.     Regards GBW

On 10/11/2018 at 8:42 PM, toofarnorth said:

I don't know about this junction but there are many where if you stop on the line you can't see anything up the road coming towards you. Looking at the road here the black bit is the main road she went forward to get a view of what might be coming , there my 25 Satang's worth.

Yes, you're absolutely correct. Same is true the world over...at STOP signs...red lights where it is permitted to turn on RED...everywhere.

Those here who act like they always stop behind the line and stay there...without ever encroaching...are either lying or baiting. Everyone does what the driver of the Suzuki did. Everyone.

Side note: since when has a painted road line or sign...such as STOP or ONE WAY...or zebra crosswalk lines...ever meant anything here??? :coffee1:

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Those here who act like they always stop behind the line and stay there...without ever encroaching...are either lying or baiting. Everyone does what the driver of the Suzuki did. Everyone.

Its the "way" she went across it that matters  more, there was no hesitation at all.

21 minutes ago, kannot said:

Its the "way" she went across it that matters  more, there was no hesitation at all.

I understand the technical point, but still totally disagree. Unless taking one's physical driving exam...everyone does it. Doesn't make it right, but it is accepted the world over. She is clearly still off the crossroad that she is going to turn on to...AND by the looks of it, traffic is already 2 deep, while the idiot driving the pickup was trying to make 2 lanes into 3 as evidenced by the white vehicle on the inside lane, beside, the tractor-trailer truck that goes by immediately afterward. Thais always try to make 1 lane = 2 and 2 lanes = 3 (or more) and not usually done with caution either. :post-4641-1156693976:

Bottom line...she is off the crossroad and not doing anything reckless. The white Suzuki did not cause this crash. The reckless idiot speeding, while trying to make an extra lane of the shoulder or the grass is the only one at fault.  

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:22 AM, Dexlowe said:

No mate. The Suzuki driver was correctly positioned. The pickup was out of control long before, I would suggest, as it was almost completely turned around by the time it came into the frame.

she was NOT correctly positioned.  At intersections with stop signs and stop signs the driver is required to STOP on the line.  This driver did not stop on the line.  Now obviously after stopping a driver has to approach the intersection and all the words in driving manuals I am aware of have words similar to:  "after stopping, creep into the intersection".  This driver did no such thing.  She went right past the stop line before stopping so she did not exercise any proper care or caution.  It would be up to the lawyers now to decide the % of liability or negligence.  

51 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

she was NOT correctly positioned.  At intersections with stop signs and stop signs the driver is required to STOP on the line.  This driver did not stop on the line.  Now obviously after stopping a driver has to approach the intersection and all the words in driving manuals I am aware of have words similar to:  "after stopping, creep into the intersection".  This driver did no such thing.  She went right past the stop line before stopping so she did not exercise any proper care or caution.  It would be up to the lawyers now to decide the % of liability or negligence.  

cant  be suzuki as  headline already states"innocent Suzuki"

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I believe she was correctly positioned by law. This was not a stop sign - no yellow lines - and therefore she did not have to actually bring her vehicle to a complete halt at the white give-way lines. These lines, which are some distance back from the road shoulder, are quite indistinct as well. So she moves her car into a position where she can get a better view of the road, as she is allowed to do, and came to a complete stop. I think she was driving within the law at this point. And then there is the time factor -- it was 4-5 seconds before the pickup came into the picture, indicating to me that the driver, had he been driving carefully, should have had more than enough time to assess the road situation in front of him. Therefore I go back to my original hypothesis that he was speeding (to under-take the truck) and his left-side wheels went off the tarmac and dropped down an inch or two onto the lose gravel, causing him to lose control. By the time he hit the Suzuki, his vehicle had almost completely spun around. Guilty, m'lud.

Archived