97 foreigners held in visa crackdown

snoop1130

97 foreigners held in visa crackdown

By Jitima Janphrom
The Nation
Khon Kaen

1.jpeg

Ninety-seven foreigners had been arrested in the northeast for overstaying their visas or working illegally, Immigration Police acting regional director Maj General Natthawat Kandee told a press conference on Thursday.

2.jpeg

Some had stayed illegally in Thailand for over a decade, he said, warning employers of serious punishments for hiring illegally.

Under Operation Zero Overstay, police on Wednesday searched Nong Khai, Ubon Ratchathani, Mukdahan, Nakhon 

Phanom, Loei, Si Sa Ket, Nakhon Ratchasima, Surin, Bung Kan, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Sakhon Nakhon, Amnat Charoen, Roi Et, Maha Sarakham, Chaiyaphum and Buri Ram. 

3.jpeg

Those detained were mostly Indian, Laotian, Cambodian and Vietnamese with 27 overstaying their visas and 43 entering illegally. Nine worked without permission and two had not notified the authorities about their accommodation.

Police also charged 13 Thai homeowners for failing to notify the authorities about foreigners staying with them and three employers for taking on staff illegally, he added.

Natthawat said immigration police were also partially to blame for not performing proper checks.

He said crackdowns would continue periodically until they achieved Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan's goal of expelling all overstaying foreigners. 

He said overstaying foreigners, once off the authorities' radar, were more likely to commit crimes such as fraud.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30356260

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-11

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

He said overstaying foreigners, once off the authorities' radar, were more likely to commit crimes such as fraud.

Why do I have a nagging suspicion, that this "fact" has been pulled out of thin air?

It will be interesting to see how things turn out, when after arresting all the overstaying and illegal foreigners, their subsequent explanation for why the crime rate hasn't fallen at all.

It strikes me as all just Mickey Mouse manoeuvres to put on a show for the locals.

no chinese being put on show theres a surprise, over the next 10-20 years the next wave of chinese immigrants;will be collecting their thai citizenship just like the last 150 years; then the language of this land will be chinese not sanskrit; then its game with 50 million underclass to use and abuse

55 minutes ago, MisterTee said:

The gray haired guy front row center looks like a farang…

Maybe I'm wrong.

I think you are right.

There is one image in a Thai online source which shows the group from the front.

The gray haired is white skinned, much taller than all the rest, the only one in shorts :biggrin:, not wearing that mask (but his eyes pixelated).

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

.....and not a Farang in the group.

Damn!

They don't want all that noise from western media. There are thousands of western Farangs living in villages with their wife who've hardly seen their passports for the past 10 yrs....

23 minutes ago, HOAX said:

Glad to see its not just a specific group of foreigners. Anyone illegal should go, helping the rest of us getting a better reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Delusional

3 minutes ago, Police Brutality said:

They don't want all that noise from western media. There are thousands of western Farangs living in villages with their wife who've hardly seen their passports for the past 10 yrs....

Do you actually know this, or are you just guessing?

18 minutes ago, Police Brutality said:

I agree with you, but you should know that the spaceship arrives every 30th Feb and returns them 11 hours earlier.

So no need for a 90 day report

3 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

It will be interesting to see how things turn out, when after arresting all the overstaying and illegal foreigners, their subsequent explanation for why the crime rate hasn't fallen at all.

Indeed anyone actually involved in any nefarious business is much more likely to have their visa in order. No crime boss is going to take the risk of getting pulled over for a broken tail light. 

3 hours ago, HOAX said:

Glad to see its not just a specific group of foreigners. Anyone illegal should go, helping the rest of us getting a better reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I doubt it. Get rid of this batch of foreigners and prepare for those ready to take their place. Such is the price of prosperity.

Look at it from the perspective of the poor and wretched: Why stay where the money isn't when you can go to where the money is? These crackdowns will not ingratiate you to the locals anymore than you already are.

I lived 10 years in Thailand, did all my 90 stuff, but my wife never registered me as living in 'her' house.

Now we're back in the US, maybe if they introduced the same criteria I can get her deported! LOL

....then again she works for the damn federal government, so she's probably end up getting ME deported!

Geezer with the grey mullet definitely a farang and I'd say judging by the shape of his head he is a Dutch national or possibly Scandinavian with that big satellite head. His crime I'm told was fashion related with that awful shirt as evidence

16 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

.....and not a Farang in the group.

Damn!

Gee that will up set big Joke no farang + some one else stealing his thunder ! Big Joke wont like that , ? Big Joke juz start at Nana from soi 3  5 , 7, 11 keep going down Sukhumvit plenty to pick up illegals u will need at least 10 to 20 buses . later head to MBK clothing tourist Shops areas spot the thais hardly any thais have shops there now ??? not hard joke open both eyes  

Archived