German man dies after suicide leap at airport terminal

webfact

German man dies after suicide leap at airport terminal

By The Nation

sba.jpg

FILE photo

A German tourist died after jumping from the fourth floor of the passenger terminal at Suvarnabhumi Airport on Thursday.

Police identified the man as Mike Schwager (not the official spelling), 52.

He body fell on to a concrete beam above the ground floor near toilet rooms behind the duty-free shop in Zone E.

Rescuers and a medical team took him down from the beam, gave him first aid and took him to the Samitivej Suvarnabhumi clinic, where he died.

Airport officials told police that the man had been due to fly to Zurich via Dubai on October 7, with the first of those two flights having left Bangkok at 9pm that day.

However, he had refused to board the plane and had been staying in the airport ever since.

The Germany Embassy has been informed so they can tell his family.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30356307

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-12

The charity Samaritans is available around the clock for people who want to talk.

If you or anyone you know is in need of mental health services, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand at their 24-hour hotline 02-713-6791 (English), 02713-6793 (Thai) or Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai).

http://www.samaritansthai.com/news/samaritans-of-thailand-english-hotline/

Yet another example of depression  resulting in a sad result. No one knows ' truly"what people experience and get to the point where they feel there is no way out. Please heed the afore-mentioned post and seek help when life becomes unbearable. In this day and age, it is all too common that people who are suffering have nowhere to turn. All it takes is the ability t o listen and at least try to understand. Listen...observe. When you feel that the person is at their wits end, then try  to make them feel that their life matters. Too many instances where it seems that  no one was there to reverse the thinking. Put  yourself in the shoes of others and at least try to understand what other people are going through.

Many, many western men expatriate to tropical paradises thinking it will solve their inner mental issues. This is where it is a big mistake as if one has mental problems on the other part of the world, they will obviously be in you, no matter how far you travel away. Running away from the west to Thailand won't solve anything and will plainly add to the stats of all the tragic reports.

Mental issues are a disease that can be treated after proper clinical assessment, but for that the patient must ask for help. Unfortunately that's where it gets tricky as many people in today's world have mental conditions and problems from mild to severe but are just not aware or will plainly refuse to admit it.

RIP to the poor chap.

RIP Mike. 

Wasn't there another bloke earlier this year who also jumped to his death at that airport? If I recall correctly, also from the 4th floor. 

How many more jumpers until somebody decides to build a higher/better barrier/wall/fence? 

25 minutes ago, djayz said:

RIP Mike. 

Wasn't there another bloke earlier this year who also jumped to his death at that airport? If I recall correctly, also from the 4th floor. 

How many more jumpers until somebody decides to build a higher/better barrier/wall/fence? 

I read an article a while back saying they get on average 4 suicides a year at Suvarnabhumi. I guess if you want to do it badly enough you could find a way...

11 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Thailand the hub of suicide airports.i don't think we will hear TAT spewing that one out.poor man should of left his troubles at the check in desk and boarded the plane.

What has the TAT got to do with the matter ?

Presumably the Tourism Department of whatever country you come from, passes comment on EVERY SUICIDE committed there? I THINK NOT!

So why on earth would you expect the TAT to become involved ?

Perhaps you’ve been indulging in a rather copious quantity of “Happy Chappy Sauce” and need to go and dry out before making any further display of your obvious abundance of ignorance ! 

8 hours ago, Torrens54 said:

Presumably the Tourism Department of whatever country you come from, passes comment on EVERY SUICIDE committed there? I THINK NOT!

Perhaps you’ve been indulging in a rather copious quantity of “Happy Chappy Sauce” and need to go and dry out before making any further display of your obvious abundance of ignorance ! 

8 hours ago, Torrens54 said:

You need to get with the programme mate.your use of of the English language is ok but you got a long way to go on learning English sarcasm.

Once after my planned holiday was ending, and I got off the bus from Pattaya to BKK to catch my flight home,  I walked around a bit and said hell no.  I took some money from one of my accounts and stayed another 30 days.  I was cheap and flying coach at that time a few years back and the thought of that 11 hour flight back to the USA after getting to Taiwan just wasn't doable.  Since then, every trip was on EVA air premium elite class which was so pleasant.  Big reclining seats, separate from coach with never a crying baby.  Separate check in with no line.  Gosh the flights were enjoyable, got some decent rest and I considered it part of the vacation.  One never knows what will set one off.  This poor guy may have had lousy job prospects, financial issues, ran up credit card debt, or whatever.  Hope his spirit finds peace.

On 10/12/2018 at 2:11 PM, Deli said:

Obviously sick and tired of his own country and Government.

RIP, man

Understandable that he prefers dying in Thailand to getting strapped in the  German machine. 

I'm a German orphan, and I'm sick of Germany, too. 

On 10/13/2018 at 7:08 AM, happy chappie said:

You need to get with the programme mate.your use of of the English language is ok but you got a long way to go on learning English sarcasm.

On 10/14/2018 at 9:20 AM, micmichd said:

Understandable that he prefers dying in Thailand to getting strapped in the  German machine. 

I'm a German orphan, and I'm sick of Germany, too. 

Learning “English Sarcasm”.....I was under the impression that,

”Sarcasm is.....the WIT of FOOLS.” 

On 10/12/2018 at 9:02 PM, djayz said:

If someone is committed to killing themselves then wall/ barrier/ fence / whatever will not stop them. Maybe at the likes of Suvarnabhumi they should have a 24 hour 'Samaritans' office. It's good to talk.

On 10/12/2018 at 9:06 AM, happy chappie said:

Thailand the hub of suicide airports.i don't think we will hear TAT spewing that one out.poor man should of left his troubles at the check in desk and boarded the plane.

Thailand the hub of suicide airports.

Please could you elaborate more on your above expert observation?

1. What or where is your source of information?
  2. Is Thailand airports the suicide hub for locals, foreigners or both? The stats, please?
  3. And what would you expect the TAT  to spew about this one ?

8 hours ago, ravip said:

Thailand the hub of suicide airports.

Please could you elaborate more on your above expert observation?

1. What or where is your source of information?
  2. Is Thailand airports the suicide hub for locals, foreigners or both? The stats, please?
  3. And what would you expect the TAT  to spew about this one ?

How about you pull out the stats and prove me wrong.as for the TAT I was being sarcastic.now get out there and find them stats.

On 10/12/2018 at 9:02 PM, djayz said:

RIP Mike. 

It was reported a while back that they were going to erect glass around the top floors as it was becoming a regular occurrence but as usual that's as far as it got.believe me swampy airport is the suicide airport of the world.never in my life have I heard about someone committing suicide in an airport.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:36 AM, happy chappie said:

Maybe his troubles were back at home.

On 10/12/2018 at 8:16 PM, observer90210 said:

Many, many western men expatriate to tropical paradises thinking it will solve their inner mental issues. This is where it is a big mistake as if one has mental problems on the other part of the world, they will obviously be in you, no matter how far you travel away. Running away from the west to Thailand won't solve anything and will plainly add to the stats of all the tragic reports.

Mental issues are a disease that can be treated after proper clinical assessment, but for that the patient must ask for help. Unfortunately that's where it gets tricky as many people in today's world have mental conditions and problems from mild to severe but are just not aware or will plainly refuse to admit it.

RIP to the poor chap.

Not all people get help after asking, even after assessment, there was a case near Hull, young man was refused help at a hospital, went outside and sat down in a bus lane, bus ran over him, luckily he's still alive but has serious injuries. He is my son.????

2 hours ago, happy chappie said:

How about you pull out the stats and prove me wrong.as for the TAT I was being sarcastic.now get out there and find them stats.

If you state something, at least be agreeable to prove it correct. Or do you expect people to believe all your statements to be the gospel truth?

????

18 minutes ago, ravip said:

If you state something, at least be agreeable to prove it correct. Or do you expect people to believe all your statements to be the gospel truth?

????

You are questioning me so sir it is not me to prove I am right but you to prove me wrong.now run along and find them stats.

35 minutes ago, ravip said:

????

Just google suicide at airport and you will find the odd one at Heathrow,Toronto,Kabul.then google suicide at Thailand airport where you will find numerous events.thus making it the hub of suicides at a airport.there you go ive done the legwork for you.

Archived