Myanmar man ‘confesses’ he killed bearcat

webfact

Myanmar man ‘confesses’ he killed bearcat

By THE NATION

a4ef9930d00387ead56ab4ee7d3f5997.jpeg

Tata, a Myanmar national, points to a photo of Chira, who was the alleged butcher of a bearcat that Tata admitted to having shot during a night hunt in Sai Yok National Park in Kanchanaburi province early this month.

In testimony to police, suspect says district official was not a part of the hunting party.

A MYANMAR man on Thursday confessed that he had shot a bearcat while hunting at night in Sai Yok National Park in Kanchanaburi province, as his two companions were bad shooters.

Tata, a helper at a monastery, said that Aunsorn Ruen-ngam, one of the district defence volunteers who went out with him on the night of October 6, gave him a rifle after he and another colleague, Sakarn Kaenluang, had failed to kill any animals.

“They tried to shoot many animals but could not hit one. So when Anusorn saw a bearcat on a tree, he gave me the gun, knowing that I had been a hunter in the past. I shot it in the head,” he told deputy national police chief Pol General Srivara Rangsibhramanakul.

d9f922e0ac85a9a46a07aeae82eafce7.jpeg

Tata and Anusorn were on Thursday brought to National Police headquarters in Bangkok for questioning.

The Myanmar man confessed after Anusorn had told police that it was a Karen who had shot the animal. 

Tata further said that they brought the bearcat back to the monastery, which was about 400 metres from the spot where the animal was shot.

Another Myanmar helper in the monastery, identified as Chira, butchered the animal, Tata said, adding he put the rest in a black bag and gave it to Anusorn to dump it about 1.1 kilometres from the monastery.

21443b6909abe3c9dc3217b42de5a980.jpeg

The animal’s head was cut and dumped in a gully.

Tata and Anusorn were arrested on October 7 along with Dan Makham Tia district deputy chief Watcharachai Samee-rak, who led a six off-road vehicle group into the national park, and were slapped with multiple charges including hunting in the national park.

National Park officials found the feet of the bearcat in the vehicle of the deputy district chief, who was suspected of killing the animal. He has rejected the accusation.

788ddfc67d98a0b267a810dd3c103a17.jpeg

Tata also absolved Watcharachai by saying the district official did not join the hunting expedition that night. He entered the national park and fired some shots as he had promised to do so if his wishes were fulfilled.

Srivara said that the Sai Yok police had arrested 13 of the wanted 14 suspects. Only Chira remained at large.

Tata and Chira face seven charges for alleged poaching and having in possession carcasses of protected animals and guns and ammunition without permits.

Each of the 12 members of Watcharachai’s team will also face 11 charges, Srivara said, without elaborating.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30356288

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-12

Probably murdered two British Tourists at the same time.

He did manage nicely to incriminate his fellow hunters though with this quote

“They tried to shoot many animals but could not hit one"

21 minutes ago, webfact said:

Tata also absolved Watcharachai by saying the district official did not join the hunting expedition that night.

Must have been reasonably expensive to get that comment then, and again incriminating by adding "that night"

Those  Bearcats, (in fact called Binturong) are living not far this temple and are not afraid of humans because they go regularly to this temple where the monks feed them regularly, I 've seen a video on the ThaiTV on the subject. Those animals are beautiful, it's an absolute shame to kill them for the meat.

Binturong-12.jpg

In the US there are so many deer that the government has to organize cull kills to keep them in check.

Here in Thailand, anything wild and on four feet is a target.  Pretty much explains why we never see any wild animals where I live even though we are surround on three sides by a National Park.  Average Thai simply could care less about conserving wildlife.  Beats me why.  Dang sad imho.

23 minutes ago, connda said:

In the US there are so many deer that the government has to organize cull kills to keep them in check.

Here in Thailand, anything wild and on four feet is a target.  Pretty much explains why we never see any wild animals where I live even though we are surround on three sides by a National Park.  Average Thai simply could care less about conserving wildlife.  Beats me why.  Dang sad imho.

Same in UK.  Deer populations have to be regularly culled because we killed all our native large predators.

With all the forest and countryside around me I was surprised when I first moved here by the lack of any large / medium sized wild animals.  Nothing stands a chance here... with the bird nets, traps for mammals, shooting, pollution, burning, feral cats and dogs killing wildlife.  Very sad.

Even the insects, turtles, frogs and small fish are all hunted so much I am surprised that any are left.  Lady near me was even fishing out all the tadpoles from the rice field to eat!!!  

Few hundred years ago this place must have been amazing with wildlife.....

Leopards, tigers, rhino, elephants, wolves, jackals, crocodiles, pelicans, storks, vultures, gibbons and monkeys, peacocks, wild cattle, deer, wild boar and a lot more.

Archived