Honda Dream with 66k on odometer....repair?

bamboozled

I am the original owner of this bike, bought 10 or 12 years ago. It now has 66,000 km on the clock, 125cc engine. It has been getting sluggish lately and hard to start and we're not in the cold season yet. Actually, when you give it gas, especially when cold, if revs up but takes a second or 2 for the transmission to catch, so it seems. Feels quite like a slipping clutch though that was replaced very recently...if indeed the mechanic replaced it and did not just show me someone else's old clutch parts. The engine feels pretty strong once it does "latch on" and this slipping thing gets better as the engine warms up. One of the mechanics we go to said 66k is about the life of one of these things and we should look at a new one. That's fine and we will probably do that. Nonetheless, I would like to keep the old Dream and get it in the best shape possible. I like the ride and handling of the Dream far better than the Wave, which feels unstable to me. Perhaps it's a matter of getting used to it. But my real question is about fixing up the Dream. If a manual in English was available I would attempt the work myself. Does anyone know of such a manual? Does anyone have input on what might be the problem? Needs new rings? Total engine/carb overhaul? It can't be hard. The mechanic we brought it to did not seem to want to fix it. Surely there must be shops in CM who are keen and knowledgeable about this kind of work? Or are folks here in agreement that I should just drive the wounded beast as is? By the way, I don't know about the rest of you but for me the search function on here is 99% useless.

thank you

These things run for ever and are pretty much indestructible if mpg/km is still respectable engine is good

ask around for a "good mechanic" these guys can raise the dead not the Honda mob who want to wash their hands of an old motorbike

Your bike needs oil, Honda Dream engine has only one problem, the owner that make no maintenance for the rest I can say it's the perfect engine. my Honda dream has 98.000 Km start at the first kick and I only made to it regular maintenance,  change oil every 1.000/1.200km, spark plugs 5.000 to 8.000Km, chain 10.000Km, check the front fork and change the back shocks absorbers 10.000 to 15.000Km (depends how much you charge on the top of the bike and where you driving it, brakes check regularly but I made easy 15.000 km with the pads, changed the whole brake at 50.000Km... Nothing else need to be done to this motorbike is a state of the art motherXXXXXr badass bike.

Agree with MekkOne above.    You have just passed probably half of the life cycle of your Honda Dream.    Keep the maintenance up and you'll still be riding it 10 yrs from now.    Wife's family had Honda Dream motobikes many many years.   Get it repaired, you'll be glad you did.

Awesome, thanks guys. That's what I wanted to hear and what I thought, too. I changed the oil every 3000 km. Went over 3000 a few times but I took pretty good care of it. I just wonder if the guy never changed the clutch and that's what the "slipping" issue is, though the mechanic that said it's life expectancy was over had confirmed that it did indeed have a new clutch. But he seemed very quick to confirm that. How did he confirm that so quickly, I wonder? I'm going to see your man, jonwilly, on Tung Hotel. Yeah, I need a mechanic that gives a crap. thanks so much! Gee, really, I love tinkering on cars and such but would want a manual in English to help me along if I start opening up the Dream. One strange thing....I couldn't and still have not gotten the brakes to function well. Changed the front and back pads using the high grade ones...Honda brand maybe (can't remember). That didn't do it. One guy tells me I have to change the whole rear wheel that also holds the drum. I'm thinking why can't they just machine the drum but language is always a problem and for 1300 baht I said go for it. It accomplished nothing to make the brakes any better. The brake is pretty simple and the only thing not changed at this point are the cables. I wonder if that's the issue...? 

Even if the engine is tired...can't imagine it's too hard to overhaul it. Such a tiny accessible thing!

I did read on here that you can get an aftermarket body part kit for around 5k from Mong shop on Chang Moi road so if I can get the thing in mechanical shape who knows, I might spring for a fresh body, too.

Thanks all......

Have had about 5 old dreams here, best bike ever...thrives on neglect...my mechanic does the work and i take the farings all off and detail it...have done nothing to it but oil changes-plugs and maybe tires from dry rot as its sat outside for 2 yrs as I went home, started right up and still does, all over 20+ yrs old...a workhorse..

paid 10k or less for them. resold them all when I left...handles.......like.........a.................................................Dream

10 hours ago, bamboozled said:

I couldn't and still have not gotten the brakes to function well.

Don't worry they never will, I mean they are stopping you, not as you expect but it's not a performance bike... yet you can convert to front disk if you want, ask to the mechanic they can do but you'll lost the 'purity' of you little monster.

The Honda Bros shown in my photo was a wreck bought from near Bangkok.

A Truck had run into one side and split open the side case before running over the bike.

Khun Oud found it through his Thai contacts and advised he could buy cheap and rebuild.

It came up on the overnight bus to Arcade bus station, many small parcels.

I caught up the money to have the Aluminium frame machine polished, if Oud can't do it he knows where to off load the job to.

I requested twin front disk so he found a crashed 11,000cc Suzuki and fitted the front end on my Bros.

My engine was made up from 3 other engines and there used to be a US web site instructing on how to Tune the engine to increase power/torque output.

Oud who was trained as a car mechanic was only too happy to Do Up an Engine and Bike for he is a biker and I have known him have other folk work on his car when he has plenty of real work, Bikes, in his place.

I kept the bike for several years alternating weekly between it and a Honda Hornet I bought off a bar owner in CM.

A customer saw the Bros and I was persuaded to sell for more than I paid to buy and probably cleared my investment.

Oud is a Biker and loves working on BIKES.

john

Excellent, you guys have given me renewed hope and I am excited to get my Dream dreamy again. For the brakes, they worked just fine when I got the bike and for years afterward. My friend has a much older model Dream, the two-tone type with the white fenders/leg guard whatever you call it and his stops much better than mine. Well, let's hope Khun Oud can tidy that up, too. I'll certainly report back!

Cheers!

19 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Awesome, thanks guys. That's what I wanted to hear and what I thought, too. I changed the oil every 3000 km. Went over 3000 a few times but I took pretty good care of it. I just wonder if the guy never changed the clutch and that's what the "slipping" issue is, though the mechanic that said it's life expectancy was over had confirmed that it did indeed have a new clutch. But he seemed very quick to confirm that. How did he confirm that so quickly, I wonder? I'm going to see your man, jonwilly, on Tung Hotel. Yeah, I need a mechanic that gives a crap. thanks so much! Gee, really, I love tinkering on cars and such but would want a manual in English to help me along if I start opening up the Dream. One strange thing....I couldn't and still have not gotten the brakes to function well. Changed the front and back pads using the high grade ones...Honda brand maybe (can't remember). That didn't do it. One guy tells me I have to change the whole rear wheel that also holds the drum. I'm thinking why can't they just machine the drum but language is always a problem and for 1300 baht I said go for it. It accomplished nothing to make the brakes any better. The brake is pretty simple and the only thing not changed at this point are the cables. I wonder if that's the issue...? 

Even if the engine is tired...can't imagine it's too hard to overhaul it. Such a tiny accessible thing!

I did read on here that you can get an aftermarket body part kit for around 5k from Mong shop on Chang Moi road so if I can get the thing in mechanical shape who knows, I might spring for a fresh body, too.

Thanks all......

Check out Lazada, full body kits for Wave.Dream  3,200

Some more about the "Dream". Once I read an article, from a guy somewhere in South America in a bike-magazine. The title was "1 million km on my Honda Dream". The other story was about a guy who did a trip through SEA (including Thailand). With a super modern BMW ENDURO (can´t remember which one, but a big one). And as a westerner, of course, in full gear (got the image?). On one of his trips in Thailand he went off road up to a mountain (hill?) on one of the very steep, washed out dirt roads that we all know. So finally he made it to the top and felt like he just had conquered the world (the article was written by the guy himself and he apparently had a good sense of humour). Standing there and taking a rest, he heard the sound from a bell coming up the mountain. So he started to be courious about and waited. After a little while there came this old Thai gentleman on his old Honda Dream around the corner, driving it one handed, because he had to hold the box on the back of his bis bike, and asked him: "Ice cream, Sir??"

Got the bike back yesterday. 6000 baht. A bunch of new parts and the bike is def much better. He adjusted the valves, among other things. New chain and sprocket, new timing chain, new rear shocks, new body panel, brake pads, mirror. Did not change the piston or rings. The hesitation (feeling of slipping clutch) is noticeably improved but I still feel it a tad. At this point, I'm not sure if it is normal or not. I have a rented Click right now and of course there is no hesitation at all. I'm going to give it some more test driving today and see what I think. Overall pretty happy with Oud and my dreamier Dream. Thanks, Jonwilly, and all!

Next time I see Oud I will mention the Clutch.

Knowing Oud the bike will have been Test Ridden by his Boy/Lad Khun Haw (mid 30's) who will have done some of the work.

If Haw thought there was anything wrong the bike would have been sorted before return.

I will stick with what I have said Oud is biker and turns out a good job.

john

Update: I just got back from Oud again. I rode the bike some more earlier today and did not feel satisfied with the power so I brought it back. The slipping clutch feeling is still present and felt like it had gotten worse since yesterday but that could indeed be in my head. But regardless something is still not right. I asked Oud to check the compression of the piston with a compression tester and much to my surprise he doesn't have one. So the only way to tell if the piston/cylinder is good or bad is to pull the head. Anyhow, now I have contracted with him to put in a new piston which may or may not entail re-boring the cylinder and may or may not entail new valves, one or both. I couldn't tell 100% what I should expect from the performance of the bike after this i.e. whether I an entering into the "modified" realm or not. I may soon be pulling wheelies off the green light. We'll see. I like Oud and his work. I'll report back in a few days when I next have the bike.

Cheers!

Speaking of Dreams Ive been riding my ole dream and its been making a loud bang-crack in the engine the last few days while driving...nothing really happens but it freaks me out as I have no idea what it is..

Almost like if the center stand wasnt all the way up and u hear that whack!..... Anybody got any ideas???

Could be the chain hitting the guard?

I got the bike back with a new piston installed. Cylinder has been re-bored slightly over, I guess. Another 4000 baht but that included a bunch of new body panels, foot pads, etc... The bike is in much better shape....but I still feel the lag in response when giving gas. The bike bogs down at first and then plays catch up for a second or two. That's MY take. However, having had all this work done and K. Oud says the clutch is fine, I have to suspect that I am a bit nuts. Could also be the carb that is out of whack though again K. Oud said he cleaned it. But it's true that carbs can be notoriously finicky. What I need now is to test drive another 125 Dream for comparison.

4 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Could be the chain hitting the guard?

I got the bike back with a new piston installed. Cylinder has been re-bored slightly over, I guess. Another 4000 baht but that included a bunch of new body panels, foot pads, etc... The bike is in much better shape....but I still feel the lag in response when giving gas. The bike bogs down at first and then plays catch up for a second or two. That's MY take. However, having had all this work done and K. Oud says the clutch is fine, I have to suspect that I am a bit nuts. Could also be the carb that is out of whack though again K. Oud said he cleaned it. But it's true that carbs can be notoriously finicky. What I need now is to test drive another 125 Dream for comparison.

Dont think so--Im just cruising along and a WHACK like something inside the engine got caught...is odd..as its just a sound but is a ODD sound and loud...isnt affecting anything YET..but worries me from where its comiing from and the cause--dont know enough thai to try and explain it at a shop and it seems random....yikes!

I think if something in the engine was getting caught on something you would not still be driving it, IMHO. It would be broken. Perhaps the bike stand is missing the spring that holds it up?

JonWilly, are you still watching this thread? Do you have any idea what might be going on with my bike? Even starting out in 1st gear, it's almost as if you are starting out in 2nd...the lack of low end torque. I don't think it can be the engine at this point since that has had the once over. It's a 125 after all, not a 50 or 70cc plus it's now bored slightly over. This lack of power seems (seems!) to get worse as the bike warms up. That's perhaps why K. Oud did not notice it. It is also still cutting out when cold...so right there something is not right. It's got to be a timing or carb issue....frustrating. I'm not knocking Oud...something is still not quite right with the bike.

Archived