BANGKOK 19 July 2019 17:39
simon43

How to eat avocados

Avocados are a great source of 'healthy' fat.  But I'm never sure how to eat them....

The only time that I buy avocados is when the skin has turned purple and the fruit is soft to the touch.  But many times when I cut them open, the flesh is too soft and has turned brown and black 😞

Most avocados in the supermarket are green and hard to the touch.  Can one eat avocados in this state and gain the healthy fat benefits?

Does anyone have suggestions how I can make avocados tasty when eaten in this state?  (I'm not into cooking, but maybe there is something that I can mix them with etc to enhance the taste).

Are there two types of Avocado available here?

The first, which I suspect are imported, have a black skin that the flesh falls away from very easily.

The other type (local?) have a green skin that doesn't part from the flesh. The second type is not the unripe version of the first. The Black skin has dimpling, whilst the green is smooth.

I like the former best.

Olive oil (7/8) + balsamic vinegar (1/8).

I love to spread it as is on a saltine cracker and sprinkle black pepper on it. Just did the other day first time for a long time.

Also often use it as "butter" on bread with chicken.

Edited by Dazinoz

You make Guacamole with them. You make it hot and have it with corn chips and beer while you watch sporting events on the TV.  

It is said other ways to eat avocados exist and have become popular recently. I would advise you to stay away from these millennial fads. Use avocados the way god and nature intended.

Did I mention beer? Other liquids can be used successfully

73249_165871823444999_5097398_n.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

You have to buy them somewhere in between. If not, you'll need to store them, perhaps wrapped in paper, until they ripen. Not in the fridge.

When they begin to give a little under a gentle squeeze, you can decide when you want to eat them. Once they begin to reipen, you can place them in the fridge if you've purchsed quite a few and won't eat them all in a short space of time.

If when you go to buy them and you find they are already 'giving a little', you can flick out the remainder of the stem. If it is bright green where the stem sat, the flesh will still be bright green inside.

You can eat it sliced into salads, slice in half, scoop out the seed and place some filling of your choice(French vinaigrette, prawn cocktail etc), mash it up with coriander, lime juice and salt to make guacamole which you can eat with tortilla chips, fried green banana chips...

Look on-line for recipes 🙂

And, avocados make a great fruit dessert or drink. They wife loves them chilled and/or frozen with condensed milk or sweetened with sugar and ice into a smoothie. Of course, you could use honey as a sweetener to make it more healthy.

• Like 1

Ask the street vendor. They will tell you which are ready to eat, and which need another 2-3 days. I don't buy in the supermarkets because avocados there are like rocks. If you press on the point where the stem is, and it gives a little, it's ready to eat.

I keep it simple. Slice in half down the longitudinal axis, remove the seed with a sharp knife point. Put lemon juice or vinegar in the hollow, sprinkle salt and black pepper on top. Enjoy with a teaspoon.

IMHO the best avocados are up at Mae Sai. Huge things, 50% bigger than a baseball.

• Like 1

Here, in Chiang Mai is cheap 30Baht/kg. And is my preferred dinner:

With salt, pepper, lima.

With cheese or jam, with tuna or salmon. With olive oil ... or tomatoes, in salat with olive oil, vinagar....

Google recipes ! And benefits for health are multiples

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/12-proven-benefits-of-avocado

B3DDF6D3-0779-4A10-A39D-7482772B92B7-227-00000009676B3D5C.jpeg.779cadc182fecf8830175470038bf3b5.jpeg1416B6D9-8A71-4ADC-812A-C69B8E376C71-227-0000000989C34435.jpeg.7d3869ed279be9a0a70ef5883ce8953b.jpeg50E8AC5B-D814-492B-A77D-8AB1F96224CE-227-00000009D322E5C6.jpeg.150c301d1e30c43b4da7eb19129a173c.jpeg