MotoGP in Buriam.

KhunHeineken

I was thinking of going this year but thought I would wait to see how the event was managed.

I watched it on TV and it was a great race.

If there are any expats living in Buriam, or anyone who went to the race, can you offer any reports on what the city and track and event was like, over the weekend of the race.  Things like queues.  Difficulty with transport to the track. Track facilities. Airport or bus station issues.  Price gouging.  Crime.  Availability of food and beverage in hospitality venues for the masses as I have never been to Buriam.

Can you say what was good and what was not so good about the track, city and facilities?

I know accommodation was pretty full in Buriam for it.

Any information or tips would be appreciated because depending on reports from people who went to the event, or people living in Buriam, I might go next year if it is on the calendar.

To the moderators.  I will make the same post in the sport section to try to get the views of local expats in Buriam as well as tourists who went to the event so I hope you allow it to run in both places.

BT Sport in the UK covered all 3 days live from start to finish and didn’t miss a single minute. The lead commentator Keith Huewan is married to a Thai and he has been buzzing with anticipation all year.
Over the course of the weekend I heard one small moan about the traffic chaos on Friday morning but that was quickly resolved and Saturday and Sunday were greatly improved.
All the other presenters raved about the track, the facility, Buriram itself and Thailand in general. One even went as far to say it was THE must go to MotoGP next year.

I wish I could have been there myself, my personal favourite is Mugello but maybe I will combine a trip to family in Sisaket with MotoGP next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I was thinking of going this year but thought I would wait to see how the event was managed.

I watched it on TV and it was a great race.

If there are any expats living in Buriam, or anyone who went to the race, can you offer any reports on what the city and track and event was like, over the weekend of the race.  Things like queues.  Difficulty with transport to the track. Track facilities. Airport or bus station issues.  Price gouging.  Crime.  Availability of food and beverage in hospitality venues for the masses as I have never been to Buriam.

Can you say what was good and what was not so good about the track, city and facilities?

I know accommodation was pretty full in Buriam for it.

Any information or tips would be appreciated because depending on reports from people who went to the event, or people living in Buriam, I might go next year if it is on the calendar.

To the moderators.  I will make the same post in the sport section to try to get the views of local expats in Buriam as well as tourists who went to the event so I hope you allow it to run in both places.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1060286-moto-gp-thailand/

thread running here, everyone who went (including me) had a great time, the usual Thai visa naysayers who wern't actually there posting negative stuff as expected of course 555

50 minutes ago, jay1980 said:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1060286-moto-gp-thailand/

thread running here, everyone who went (including me) had a great time, the usual Thai visa naysayers who wern't actually there posting negative stuff as expected of course 555

Thanks for the link.  I will check it out.

I hope my threads are allowed to run for a while because I am also after some information about the city itself at race time.

2 hours ago, crystal1949 said:

Simply go there and look your self - it was a great It was a perfect Thai sports event!
100000 visitors without any problems. 
We are sure to be back next year

I will go next year.

As for a perfect Thai sport event, well, are lot of things in Thailand are imperfect, so I saw no harm in asking. 

I am going to the Malaysian MotoGP next month.  

1 hour ago, chris2004 said:

The big problem is accommodation. Unless you get in quick there is nowhere to stay within 100 kms.

Yes, I had a look on Agoda and saw all the decent hotels were booked, and that was months away from the event.

The 2019 provisional calendar has been released.

As soon as the calendar is confirmed, I will try to book a hotel. 

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2018/09/04/provisional-2019-calendar-released/270093

3 hours ago, britishrepublican said:

Much of the track is out if view from the grandstand. They should try to address the spectators view.

UHM.........where were you sitting in grandstand, from where i was i could see 95% of track.

When the riders where going down the long straight after turn one the get very small, its a long way, but there was a tv screen in front of grand stand so you could get a close upon turn 2.

that is why the first rows of grandstand were empty. better view from up top.

IMG_6202.JPG

IMG_6218.JPG

12 hours ago, tso310 said:

You will need to avoid the hotels that teams and officials used. I'm sure I heard from somewhere that bookings were cancelled because of this.

Thanks for the tip.  I gather they stay in the best hotels in town.  I'll have a look on Agoda and see what the higher priced hotels are and then steer clear of them.

Can anyone recommend a larger nearby town that could also be an option for accommodation?  Nothing too far.  I don't mind arranging a driver. 

18 hours ago, moose7117 said:

UHM.........where were you sitting in grandstand, from where i was i could see 95% of track.

When the riders where going down the long straight after turn one the get very small, its a long way, but there was a tv screen in front of grand stand so you could get a close upon turn 2.

that is why the first rows of grandstand were empty. better view from up top.

IMG_6202.JPG

IMG_6218.JPG

That's a great vantage point.  What is the name of this grandstand?  The pits is usually along the start / finish straight.  Where was the pits on this track? 

Were the tickets numbered seats or you sit where you want in the grandstand? 

On 10/13/2018 at 11:47 AM, KhunHeineken said:

Yes, I had a look on Agoda and saw all the decent hotels were booked, and that was months away from the event.

The 2019 provisional calendar has been released.

As soon as the calendar is confirmed, I will try to book a hotel. 

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2018/09/04/provisional-2019-calendar-released/270093

I expect all the hotels were full for this event but just for your interest each booking agent has a quota of rooms assigned to use so even if Agoda shows full then Booking.com may have rooms or traveloka etc. and it always pays to ring the hotel direct as well.

Phrakhon Chai has 2 good hotels and many smaller hotels and resorts. Hotel De L'Amor (good enough for Princess Ubolratana) and Eirean Boutique Hotel. 38 km south of the circuit, straight road 2445. Surin has plenty of decent hotels.

On 10/14/2018 at 12:23 PM, KhunHeineken said:

Thanks for the tip.  I gather they stay in the best hotels in town.  I'll have a look on Agoda and see what the higher priced hotels are and then steer clear of them.

Can anyone recommend a larger nearby town that could also be an option for accommodation?  Nothing too far.  I don't mind arranging a driver. 

Phimai,where I live is ok,decent size town with a couple of reasonable hotels. Phimai Inn the best bet with a large pool too. May not be able to book via agoda etc. though 

• 3 months later...
On 10/17/2018 at 11:31 AM, nchuckle said:

Phimai,where I live is ok,decent size town with a couple of reasonable hotels. Phimai Inn the best bet with a large pool too. May not be able to book via agoda etc. though 

How far is Phimai from Buriam? 

How would I get to and from Buriam to Phimai before the race, probably from the airport, and on race weekend.

Happy to use a private car and driver if you know one.  Could even throw in a ticket for him if he wants. 

23 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

How would I get to and from Buriam to Phimai before the race, probably from the airport, and on race weekend.

Happy to use a private car and driver if you know one.  Could even throw in a ticket for him if he wants. 

90 kilometers,so a little over an hours drive. Booking.com shows a few hotels with availability @ around  500/600 baht per night but not funnily enough Phimai inn on those dates but Amatara ,a relatively new place on the river and nearer town or Phimai paradise,right in town which does have a small pool. Give me exact dates and I’ll ask Phimai inn directly as I’m here at their pool most days! 

No viable bus service to Buriram however- I do know one guy who’s a good minibus owner operator but don’t know availability- he usually does tours so maybe not..? The drive is straightforward if you consider hiring a car for the duration? 

Let me have more details of your actual dates and movements and I’ll give it further thought. 

23 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Note Buriram Airport is 39 kilometres from Chang circuit and 32 kilometres from town centre,105 kilometres from Phimai 

@ nchuckle

Thanks for the advice.  I have no problem staying in a place outside Buriram.  i would get there a couple of days before, hire a scooter, if possible, and have a look around another town in Thailand.  

I could hire a car and drive, but I like to have a beer and a chat whilst watching the races.  Maybe a bit of after race party as well.  I will not drive after drinking. 

I can stay anywhere, from small villages to big cities, and usually make the most of things, but transport is the issue in this case, and is difficult to research on the internet  because a job like this usually requires a private driver.  

It's early days, and I might just take you up on your offer.  

Thanks for your reply.   

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread.

Would really like to go to the 2019 Moto GP in Buriram this year, but a check of the Agoda website shows there is no accommodation left. 

I'll probably have to stay in a town outside Buriram, as suggested by some members.  I don't have a problem with this, but I am concerned about transport to and from the track/

Any new information or suggestions would be appreciated.

As far as I am aware all the agents have a seperate allocation of rooms, so just because Agoda says it has no rooms left it does not mean that other agents are sold out. Also it always pays to ring the hotel direct and ask.

It may well be sold out but its still worth trying direct.

HL

On 3/22/2019 at 12:13 AM, happylarry said:

As far as I am aware all the agents have a seperate allocation of rooms, so just because Agoda says it has no rooms left it does not mean that other agents are sold out. Also it always pays to ring the hotel direct and ask.

It may well be sold out but its still worth trying direct.

HL

I've tried several different website, even AirBnB, pretty much everything taken.

I have no problem staying in a town outside Buriram, but would like to know about transport to the track. 

13 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I've tried several different website, even AirBnB, pretty much everything taken.

I have no problem staying in a town outside Buriram, but would like to know about transport to the track. 

I was in a bar in Buriram on the eve of the MotoGP last year.

There were two guys that I spoke to who had come up from Bangkok to watch the racing.

They walked straight into a hotel, can't remember the name, and got rooms. 

There are rooms available but foot work is needed.

I would suggest a visit to Buriram to take a look around.

I have heard some horror stories about this. 

People would walk in and offer to pay more for a hotel room, so they got the room, and the original booking booking cancelled at late notice.  Not a nice thing to do. 

It's a bit of an effort to go to Buriram to scout out a hotel room that may not even be held for you come race time. 

14 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I have heard some horror stories about this. 

People would walk in and offer to pay more for a hotel room, so they got the room, and the original booking booking cancelled at late notice.  Not a nice thing to do. 

It's a bit of an effort to go to Buriram to scout out a hotel room that may not even be held for you come race time. 

No, that is not what happened. 

Hotels only put a percentage of their rooms on the internet. There are rooms available for walk in customers.

Archived