Thailand losing favour among expats: HSBC survey

rooster59

3 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

You sure? A teacher earning 30k and living in a 4k fan room may actually be better off

Well if you consider a 4k room in Thailand with shared bathroom a better standard of living than a 1 or 2 bedroom condo in Singapore, I don't know what to comment.

The other thing is, the English teacher will stay an English teacher in Thailand. No career progress opportunities.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, lkv said:

Well, then relative to the expat package, it's not that expensive. It still ensures a good standard of living and plenty of opportunity to save. Then you take the savings into neighbouring poorer countries and you feel rich.

So it does give people an opportunity to aquire wealth and progress in their careers. Not the same can be said about Thailand, from both perspectives. ????

Remember it's an HSBC Expat Survey.

We had a great time living in both Singapore and Hong Kong. 

But we were fortunate that we both had good jobs and could afford it.

If we were the, sorry I’m, gonna say it, typical sexpat in Thailand, it’s impossible

Well if you consider a 4k room in Thailand with shared bathroom a better standard of living than a 1 or 2 bedroom condo in Singapore, I don't know what to comment.

The other thing is, the English teacher will stay an English teacher in Thailand. No career progress opportunities.
Doubt they would have a shared bathroom unless it's a backpackers. Reading on here 4k can get you half descent outside of bangkok.

Funny nearly all friends I know back home are maxed out and in deep debt.

People in Hong Kong would be not much different

Just now, blackhorse said:

Doubt they would have a shared bathroom unless it's a backpackers. Reading on here 4k can get you half descent outside of bangkok.

Funny nearly all friends I know back home are maxed out and in deep debt.

People in Hong Kong would be not much different

Obviously the expats surveyed came to the conclusion that comparing 4K decent in Thailand and xK decent in Singapore, the surroundings look nicer at xK in Singapore.

Yes, the friends at home are maxed out and half of the expats in Singapore earn over SGD 250,000 per year.

I think some don't realise the wages in these 2 places. A bus driver in Hong Kong (never mind qualified expats), is looking to make HKD 23,000 per month (almost USD 3,000 per month), with a join bonus of HKD 36,000 ( USD 4,600)

1862784300_Screenshot_20181013-230924_SamsungInternet.jpg.469522232018f5046564f3226fb84601.jpg

So this is for a local bus driver in Hong Kong.

13 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Expats are also more likely to have access to more affordable healthcare than back home.

?

I doubt that many people living in the EU would consider health care in Thailand to be very good or affordable. It can be OK if you have good insurance, but that insurance does not come cheap. "More affordable healthcare" is certainly not on my list of plus points for living in Thailand.

14 minutes ago, dutchbull said:

This is only for working expats

how about expats WHO want to live abroad ?

No not working expat want to live in Singapore

Many live in more affordable places such as Thailand, although many are somewhat complaining about all the do nots expressed by @NCC1701A in his previous post, but outweigh them with the cheaper cost of living.

23 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

the key to being RETIRED in Thailand is to keep everything simple.

don't buy property.

don't get married.

don't start a business.

800,000 baht in a Thai bank.

be ready to move at a moments notice.

that is all there is to it. 

Thing is.

Unless you are a citizen or have some permanent resident status, you’re always at some degree of risk no matter where you live.

I’m always a little stunned by how blinded many of the prognosticators on TVF are regarding their long term security in Thailand

Hopefully everything works out fine.

But hope for the Best, Plan for the Worst, whats stupid in that plan?

5 hours ago, inThailand said:

If you don't have 800k then you should move to another cheaper country  rather than taint the rest of us. 

Ah, another hoity toity farang, more concerned with those that have less than him. Those people you call tainters are probably the same people supporting many many Thai familes and children - Thailand will be more tainted by their absence than their presence 

50 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

the key to being RETIRED in Thailand is to keep everything simple.

don't buy property.

don't get married.

don't start a business.

800,000 baht in a Thai bank.

be ready to move at a moments notice.

that is all there is to it. 

I enjoy an element of uncertainty, almost thrive on it, risk, ability to cope with and accept change, yep, married, my wife owns a house bit of land, two kids, I doubt they will want me out anytime soon, but who knows life is great.

Sorry what were you droning on about......ah yes fear of failure......

33 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Ah, another hoity toity farang, more concerned with those that have less than him. Those people you call tainters are probably the same people supporting many many Thai familes and children - Thailand will be more tainted by their absence than their presence 

Common on...800K in the bank is almost as much as many guys spend drinking in a year. This isn't a kings ransom. 

The survey found that some of the positives to living in Thailand is that expats have more disposable income and are likely to live in a nicer property than in their home country”.

That’s all well and good, but no matter how cheaply expats can stay in Thailand, its not much use if living on very basic budgeted funds.

“However, some of the negatives to living in Thailand included safety, the standard of education, job security, career progression and wage growth, all of which expats said were worse in Thailand than in their home country”.

Many have expectations that Thailand is going to be like a home from home with the same high standards as in their home countries and for some reasons seem shocked and surprised when they discover that the country is still very third world in comparison.

Thailand is not a land of opportunity, especially for foreigners. Unlike in our own countries whereas by changing location it is possible to progress or continue as we left off, unless already obtained some financial security from our home countries and have money to become established in Thailand, then expats are not going to last very long here. The job market in Thailand is extremely limited and almost non-existent.

Ideal for business entrepreneurs that already have substantial financial funds to create a successful business in Thailand, or those over 50 that have pensions to support them for the remainder of their lives, but as for the others that risk coming here and hope to find work, I would advise don’t come, unless for the adventure no longer than 12 months or an extended holiday.

31 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I enjoy an element of uncertainty, almost thrive on it, risk, ability to cope with and accept change, yep, married, my wife owns a house bit of land, two kids, I doubt they will want me out anytime soon, but who knows life is great.

Sorry what were you droning on about......ah yes fear of failure......

ouch. :shock1: you really got me there. thanks for that. :cheesy:

11 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Just back in the UK for a family funeral and talking about the survey.

My brother and his wife cannot understand why we put ourselves through the hoops just to live in Thailand.?

Money in Thai bank. 

65,000 b income.

Border runs. 

Non O visas etc.

Retirement extension. 

90 day reporting. 

Report residence. 

Carry I.d. All times.

Random stops on the street. 

Corrupt police system and cash fines in the pocket. 

Crap exchange rates.

Needs for private insurance. 

Cash up front at public hospitals.

The soi dog's. 

Rubbish on the streets.

Crazy bike drivers..

I will stop there and see if I can think of the positives. 

*I think he is currently winning the argument. 

Wow,

Keep going , i want to see how many things you don't like about thailand ...How long have you been living here..???....????

13 minutes ago, CARLO BALDASSARRE said:

Wow,

Keep going , i want to see how many things you don't like about thailand ...How long have you been living here..???....????

Good score card.....someone has been paying attention and not to just the local girls......rock on.....????????

13 hours ago, stropper said:

what are you talking about, it is easy to get a visa in thailand, if you abide by the rules, try getting a thai a visa to aus or gb, if you are secure it is easy, if not go home and get back on welfare!

I fall into the secure category, but when you've been married to a Thai, raised children to adulthood, own property and paid taxes for years I would not call the BS rigmarole to obtain a 1 yr ME visa easy.

Kick folks out. How would they cope with those who cant afford the Flight home anymore after buying that house in Nowhere Land, the Truck, someone elses kids fed half the Village for the last few Years, cant see that happening. Funny that many Ferangs are here because their Government  made it easy for any old beggar to live there free, yet dont like Thais monitoring their own country.

Thais can move to many other countries, become that countrys citizen

and buy and own property, bank accounts, work at what ever they want

to in that country. Not an even situation I am sad to say. My Thai relatives

here in Canada, own their own house, have careers, and enjoy a happy life here.They

have finished their educations, as well. Too bad the same stuff will not happen in

LOS Thailand,

Geezer

Even, when this thread is not the exactly the right one!
After reading so many of those comments for a long time, I'd like to say a word about the "Go home/kick them out" faction. 

They're so superior! Because "some" of them

- can throw 800k, or even the double/triple into the Thai bank
- (because it's peanuts)
- Visa hassle is no problem at all
- purchasing property (f.e.) and other official matters are easy
- (because of their "skilled" dealing with the Authorities)
- so well integrated and adopted completely to "Thainess" 
- (because speaking fluently Thai)
- living in the most decent and morally clean spots
- (because avoiding any questionable entertainment)
- only interested in spotless beaches and temples
- (because that's why in Thailand)
- etc.

All others, who are criticizing, or even mention anything,
are: 
"Poor Losers, Bar Boozers, Sexpats, Lazy Beg- Backpackers, Cheap Charlies" and so on and on.
Who are "tainting" their "Expat Status"?!

These "Good Guys" forget, that they've, roughly, a not very different status for "a" reason (Exceptions confirm the rule)
But that's another book.
And the yelling "Go Home" and "Kick them out" 
of "self-estimated" Good Guys,  
isn't helpful to anybody, 
neither important to any authority. 
It just tells something about the personal attitude.

Visa Agency Crackdown is on the Agenda already.
Perhaps, the 800k will be 1600k next month, 3200k in 12 months? Or just "MYA"? Who knows?
What I know, many arrogant smiles would change to a frozen grin.

19 hours ago, inThailand said:

If you don't have 800k then you should move to another cheaper country  rather than taint the rest of us. 

That's a very arrogant and silly thing to say. For various reasons people don't have this cash to show... As for the "... rest of us" yes.. Thanks for the reminder I'm surrounded by such elitists... 555 

When are you guys going to wake up to the fact that in a self sufficiency society land cannot be sold off to foreigners! The majority of the Thai people carry little more than the means to survive, with a little government aid. Until there is full employment availability to enable all people without land to earn income, the government is absolutely correct in maintaining land ownwership for the use of the Thai people.

The alternative could be high tax foreign land users in order to provide for displaced Thai people.

Be careful what you wish for!!

On 10/13/2018 at 2:22 PM, HAKAPALITA said:

HSBC isnt much use here im told.Only one office.

They sold off their retail banking business to BOA/Krungsri several years ago. They have one office for some business but won't have anything to do with retail customers.

Archived