Thailand losing favour among expats: HSBC survey

rooster59

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/14/2018 at 2:32 PM, Bournville said:

That's a very arrogant and silly thing to say. For various reasons people don't have this cash to show... As for the "... rest of us" yes.. Thanks for the reminder I'm surrounded by such elitists... 555 

This droning on about 800k is hard to understand.

You need cash flow to live here yes?

Legal cash flow.

If you work here, then you have a visa and no 800k is required. If you are married, the 800k is 400k. If you do not work here - nowhere does it say you need to SPEND 800k each year. Put in 800k, live on 100k if you can/want, and top your account back up to 800k in time to renew your visa....whats the big issue? 

This country would be overrun with people if they did not have some controls, and they would lose their homeland - their only homeland. So of course they are going to want some control - and to be sure those staying are not flouting the laws by working illegally.

On just anecdotal musing.

I lived in Thailand just over 10 years, and I watched in our small town every farang slowly slip back home.

When we came back to the US, the last man standing was one German guy and I guarantee you he couldn't afford to leave even if he wanted to

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

On just anecdotal musing.

I lived in Thailand just over 10 years, and I watched in our small town every farang slowly slip back home.

When we came back to the US, the last man standing was one German guy and I guarantee you he couldn't afford to leave even if he wanted to

It's funny, I live in quite a large city, not touristy, and for a lot longer than you did.

Believe me, the percentage of expats still living here, added to the new arrivals every year, outweighs the "lightweights" who have returned home enormously, and most still seem to be enjoying themselves. 

Just as a footnote, out of the few returnees, practically NONE regularly go onto Thailand forums slagging the place off, but would rather remember the good times they had, and have moved on with their life.

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

It's funny, I live in quite a large city, not touristy, and for a lot longer than you did.

Believe me, the percentage of expats still living here, added to the new arrivals every year, outweighs the "lightweights" who have returned home enormously, and most still seem to be enjoying themselves. 

Just as a footnote, out of the few returnees, practically NONE regularly go onto Thailand forums slagging the place off, but would rather remember the good times they had, and have moved on with their life.

Well, I’m not a Thai hater, and still spend at least 3 months back in Thailand every year, just not a full time resident anymore.

So I like participating on this forum as I still have an interest in the place

That doesn’t mean I can’t like, and criticize the place in equal measure

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well, I’m not a Thai hater, and still spend at least 3 months back in Thailand every year, just not a full time resident anymore.

Well said.

13 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

How do you find living back home after having been in Thailand a long time?

A worry of mine about going back in future would be boredom and not being able to relate to people back home.

19 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

A worry of mine about going back in future would be boredom and not being able to relate to people back home.

We’re probably not the typical returnee. 

I have adult kids in the US, and my step son, had moved to the US 6 years ago. My wife had lived lived in the US for many years when she was young and went to college here.

So, it wasn’t really a hard move, and my wife really wanted to move back to be close to our son.

In reality, I was done with Thailand, and just being in the US for the majority of the year, I feel better, and I now I love our 3 months in Thailand over the winter, whereas I was getting to a point where almost everything in Thailand irritated me when we were there full time.

My wife is the smart one, and now being here, she’s actually able to fulfill her career goals here, which she was feeling very unhappy about while we we in Thailand, so as the saying goes; 

If Momma’s happy, we’re all happy!

2 hours ago, Crash999 said:

I can imagine going home without a job would quickly wear thin, and my contacts back in the Old Country are not sufficient to guarantee a return to lucrative employment.  I see myself as a transient expat, or an economic migrant / itinerant worker, like the Thai girls you meet around the world...

10 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I can imagine going home without a job would quickly wear thin, and my contacts back in the Old Country are not sufficient to guarantee a return to lucrative employment.  I see myself as a transient expat, or an economic migrant / itinerant worker, like the Thai girls you meet around the world...

Trouble is there are so many variables it’s really hard to say what works for one guy, yet doesn’t for another.

Work is one factor, that was a very big thing for my wife.

For me being close to my daughters and son was another biggie.

I did recognize, and this might be a factor of getting older too, how much when we lived in Thailand, and for many years prior all over Asia, how much I had missed family

It’s a real mixed bag of stuff of what works and what doesn’t.

I now love the mix n match arrangement. Few months in Thailand then back home. 

But, thats what works for us, doesn’t work for others

Who's talking about applying for anything ? I can get a free three month visa on arrival and apparently it's very easy to stay.......  What i like the most is though, when i enter Malaysia i get a "You're welcome Sir, have a nice stay" as opposed to Thailand which is "Why are you here and what are you doing here" ?    After nearly thirty years in Thailand it's all getting a bit boring....... I'm interested is that Cleveland USA, or Cleveland UK ?  Yeah and don't forget you can own a house and car in your own name, have rights, and don't have the constant worry of the government moving the goalposts all the time...... I think you'll find that most people who have been in Thailand a long time have realised that the show's over, infact i've never seen foreigners and Thais as unhappy as they are now........ Till the next coup.........

2 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Who's talking about applying for anything ? I can get a free three month visa on arrival and apparently it's very easy to stay.......  What i like the most is though, when i enter Malaysia i get a "You're welcome Sir, have a nice stay" as opposed to Thailand which is "Why are you here and what are you doing here" ?    After nearly thirty years in Thailand it's all getting a bit boring....... I'm interested is that Cleveland USA, or Cleveland UK ?  Yeah and don't forget you can own a house and car in your own name, have rights, and don't have the constant worry of the government moving the goalposts all the time...... I think you'll find that most people who have been in Thailand a long time have realised that the show's over, infact i've never seen foreigners and Thais as unhappy as they are now........ Till the next coup.........

Agreed.

Good post.

On 10/24/2018 at 2:55 PM, Cleveland said:

From the Government website for the MM2H 10 year visa..

"Applicants aged 50 and above may comply with the financial proof of RM350,000 (THB 2,757,800) in liquid assets and off shore income of RM10,000 (THB 78,795) per month. "

UPON APPROVAL

Aged 50 years and above

•  
  • Open a fixed deposit account of RM 150,000.00 (THB 1,181,910)

• After a period of one year, participant who fulfills the fixed deposit criterion can withdraw up to RM50,000.00 for approved expenses relating to house purchase, education for children in Malaysia and medical purposes.

Now you have all the facts needed to make an accurate post. Somehow I don't see many of the string vested pensioner brigade being able to satisfy any of those requirements.

Your welcome.

Malaysia is well worth it if you can. Renewable 10 year visa, no 90 day reports, no 24 hr. address reporting, no need for exit permits, you can own your own home. Over 50's can even get permission to work 20hrs./week in certain sectors if needed.

6 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

Malaysia is well worth it if you can. Renewable 10 year visa, no 90 day reports, no 24 hr. address reporting, no need for exit permits, you can own your own home. Over 50's can even get permission to work 20hrs./week in certain sectors if needed.

The dream..the endless fantasy..

On the Road to Mandalay,

Only one little draw back.. You actually have to live there!

20 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

I would like to confirm that. I only do 6 months of the year in Thailand, but earlier this

year, I was happy to go back to the UK.. with a 2 day overstay fine of B1000

Going back to Los shortly, but for only 5 months [understay]

Next year I might try Russia.

'When i enter Malaysia i get a "You're welcome Sir, have a nice stay"

You don't get it? People will do extraordinary things to stay in Thailand.

Nobody wants to live in crappy Muslim Malaysia!

1 hour ago, blackhorse said:

'When i enter Malaysia i get a "You're welcome Sir, have a nice stay"

You don't get it? People will do extraordinary things to stay in Thailand.

Nobody wants to live in crappy Muslim Malaysia!

I'll be honest with you and say that i'll be <deleted> if i gonna say where i'm thinking about, but after all the years here i need a bit more stability..... I can always cross the border for a nibble, both sides as well, Singapore's down the road with the attraction of the Four Floors of Whoores...... and guess where they're from ?    I think shortly looking at the latest lunacy going on in immigration and the shenanigans of the <removed> i don't think this place will be so attractive......  Ps, Certain parts of Malaysia are not Moslem...... and there's plenty of pi^& and Pus&*y  if you know where to look,.......

Archived