Yet more confusion over the removal of Income Certification Letter for British expats

rooster59

Yet more confusion over the  removal of Income Certification Letter for British expats

ViAjpVyhpMkuUZW-800x450-noPad.jpg.b595f0274375976c43a31f14950a829d.jpg

An attempt by the British Embassy to clarify the situation regarding the news that it will soon stop issuing income certification letters has only added to the confusion among expats in Thailand.

Earlier this week, the British Embassy Bangkok announced that it will stop providing British Nationals with letters confirming their income.

The letters are used as supporting documents for expats applying for retirement or marriage extensions.

From Jan 1st 2019, expats will need to show either 800,000 THB in a bank account in Thailand three months prior to submitting the application  or show a monthly income of 65,000 baht also transferred into a bank account in Thailand.

Applicants for marriage extension will need to show 400,000 THB in an account in Thailand for no less than three months prior to the visa application, or a monthly income of at least 40,000 THB transferred into an account in Thailand.

But in an interview with Tommy Dee of Fabulous 103FM, comments from a spokesperson for the British Embassy have only added to the confusion among expats affected by the new rules.

The spokesperson claimed that the income letters are not always required by Thai immigration and that expats can simply show a copy of their bank statements when submitting their application.

However, anyone who has ever applied for a marriage or retirement extension in Thailand will know that is not the case and that the income certification letter has to date been a requirement.

The interview also revealed that the British Embassy Bangkok issues around 250 income certification letters each month.

The reason the British Embassy will stop issuing the income letter is because Thai immigration has said it expects the embassy to verify all sources of income of British Nationals requesting an income letter, as first reported by Thaivisa earlier this week.

One of the main concerns among expats is that Immigration offices around Thailand are brought up to speed on the new rules and do not continue to insist on an income certification letter after 1st Jan 2019.

The advice from the British Embassy is as follows:

1356960474_ScreenShot2561-10-08at13_56_23.png.2aeed8812cdc05441cca6873257b6376.png

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-13

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...The spokesperson claimed that the income letters are not always required by Thai immigration and that expats can simply show a copy of their bank statements when submitting their application..."

Hmm... methinks that this 'spokesperson' doesn't actually handle any immigration matters themselves...

What a helpful bunch at the British Embassy... 

Not.

Just now, Samui Bodoh said:

"...The spokesperson claimed that the income letters are not always required by Thai immigration and that expats can simply show a copy of their bank statements when submitting their application..."

Hmm... methinks that this 'spokesperson' doesn't actually handle any immigration matters themselves...

Agreed.  This is from the BKK website.

image.png.bf87832fdeaa7c2acf22eeae09c4740e.png

This is a form given to me by an Immigration Officer in the BKK Immigration office.

image.png.63a51249860cca2d2a46129d89adfedd.png

Just now, TeaMonkey said:

Still the question of why it is only why it’s only the British Embassy taking this action as the others do not do anything different. 

Because the others do not do verification letters!  just pay in 65k a month into your Thai account?  

My latest mail to the Embassy...

I listened with interest to your interview with Tommy from Pattaya News.

You say that if necessary you will go to Pattaya to speak to Immigration there. 
I live in Udon Thani and they still require Embassy Income letters & according to mates of mine so do the  Khon Kaen & Surin Offices. When we suggested what you advise it was a straight NO. No Embassy Letter No Extension.
If what you is saying is true, then you really need further dialogue with the head of Immigration and to urge them to instruct all offices that Bank Statements or even a Bank Letter is acceptable showing and verifying the 400/800k per year equating to 40/65k per month and this should be posted in all Imm offices and on the Immigration Website. Until then its all the same.
I make some suggestions which may assist.
(1) A Bank Letter similar to the 800k in a Thai Bank account stating that Mr Expat has shown deposits of at least 400/800k over the last 12 mths which equates to 40/65k per month. Or copies of our Thai Bank Statements showing the same.
(2) That we send said Letters or Statements to you as per income letter & you  can then issue an Embassy letter saying that you have seen these deposits and can verify these deposits have been made into Mr Expats Thai account. Further proof if required (Statements or Bank Book can be shown to the Imm Officer.)
When and only when this is acceptable to Thai Immigration will be we able to breath easy again.

2 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Agreed.  This is from the BKK website.

image.png.bf87832fdeaa7c2acf22eeae09c4740e.png

This is a form given to me by an Immigration Officer in the BKK Immigration office.

image.png.63a51249860cca2d2a46129d89adfedd.png

Someone on the other thread said that these are the requirements for converting to a non-O from another visa (tourist or 30 day stamp I assume); I don't know but that is what it seems to say at the top of the form. Does anyone have the equivalent for the marriage extension (and the retirement if it is indeed different to the above)?

I've been doing the marriage (spouse) Visa extension for the last 15 years (in Chiangmai) and have NEVER used a letter from the Brit Embassy/Consulate … I just show Immigration my Bank Book with Baht 400,000 BUT … I do also have to show a confirmation letter from Bangkok Bank (they charge Baht100) that I do have the funds. 

BTW .. The is no Brit Embassy or Consulate in Chiangmai.

1 minute ago, Exploring Thailand said:

It sounds as though you've sent a few. Do you typically get meaningful replies, or just cut-and-paste "Thanks for you email. We consider all suggestions"?

Ive sent 3 and only had 1 reply to date which said nothing other than confirming their decision

4 minutes ago, csmith said:

I've been doing the marriage (spouse) Visa extension for the last 15 years (in Chiangmai) and have NEVER used a letter from the Brit Embassy/Consulate … I just show Immigration my Bank Book with Baht 400,000 BUT … I do also have to show a confirmation letter from Bangkok Bank (they charge Baht100) that I do have the funds. 

The letter is for people applying via the monthly income route. If you have a lump sum deposited in a Thai bank, you don't need the letter. 

1 minute ago, csmith said:

The problem is not with the 400k or 800k deposit and a confirmation letter from the bank, that is business as usual. The problem is people using the 40k/65k income method, and a letter from consulate to confirm that income.

3 minutes ago, csmith said:

You did not/ do not require a letter from the embassy/consulate for lump sum applications. Only for combos or monthly income applications, this is where the problem is.

24 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The spokesperson claimed that the income letters are not always required by Thai immigration and that expats can simply show a copy of their bank statements when submitting their application.

PULL THE OTHER ONE, JEREMY.  IT'S GOT BELLS ON.

17 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Why does the British Embassy or Brits in general have any involvement or concern about this situation  regarding Americans either way?

How does it matter to them?

Because the Brits like to stick their nose in everywhere it's not wanted. It's an inherited throw back from colonial rule royal Britannia Britannia rules the waves

Just now, Just1Voice said:

Wrong!  The US Embassy and Consulate issue Income Verification letters. 

Is the US letter a letter written and signed by the consulate or an affidavit signed by the citizen ?

12 minutes ago, TeaMonkey said:

Still the question of why it is only why it’s only the British Embassy taking this action as the others do not do anything different. 

I doubt it will be the last - if the Embassies are being honest.  Most embassies do NOT have the ability to verify income letters "verifiably" for anything other than government pensions.  There are other government agencies that can verify some information (such as CRA - Tax agency in Canada - but this information is not available to other government agencies).  If Thailand accepted proof in the form of a sworn affidavit -- then it would be possible but it is Thailand that is changing the requirements without enough consultation with what is possible.  

perhaps a large group of UK expats (100 or so) can show up at the main immigration office at the same time demanding clarification now so you can start your preparations to leave Thailand. Tell them you speak for a quarter million other expats who need to leave due to these requirements which cannot be met without a letter from the UK embassy. 

At least they can just smile and start back peddling in private.       

I cant see why the Embassy wont issue these letters as they are a part of the British Government and the Pensions are issued from the same Government , it should be a very simple matter to confirm the applicants identity and issue the statement . The other possibility is that they are just to lazy to do the job there being paid for .

Archived