Satun immigration chief transferred after video clip of five-hour queues at checkpoint

Satun immigration chief transferred after video clip of five-hour queues at checkpoint

By The Nation

n3.jpg

Image: Wang Prachan border checkpoint - file photo

The chief of Satun Immigration Office has been transferred to an inactive post after a Facebook video clip complained of long queues at a checkpoint in the southern province.

Immigration Bureau acting commissioner Pol Maj Gen Surachate Hakpal issued the order on Friday to transfer Satun immigration chief Pol Col Phuwasit Mekhi and four immediate subordinates.

Phuwasit said on Saturday he accepted the order without argument.

He said the clip that complained of a five-hour wait at the Wang Prachan border checkpoint in Khuan Done district was taken on September 8.

Phuwasit said on that day 2,224 tourists from Malaysia crossed the border when normally 300 to 700 tourists pass through the checkpoint each day.

Phuwasit said the officials tried their best to clear the queue but they were understaffed.

He said he was not angry at the person who posted the clip and he would explain the situation to Surachate.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30356380

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-13

19 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

So without looking into the cause of the long queues the chief gets transferred?

Sounds like another PR move that is not solving anything.

A typical quick shot of the super cop.

I know why I don't trust this joke.

And now please fire the office chiefs of Chiang Mai, Chaeng Wattana, Phuket, ....

Please add to the list.

19 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The chief of Satun Immigration Office has been transferred to an inactive post after a Facebook video clip complained of long queues at a checkpoint in the southern province.

But, ...wasn't he on an inactive post already? :unsure:

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

So I guess we just need a video clip of the overnight queues for extension of stay and  education visas etc at Chiang Mai and all will be well?

Worth a try.

Just that nothing changes except the boss.

But 5 hour queues in Chiang Mai to simply obtain yet another Queue Number to be seen later in the day for an extension of stay is simply 'business as usual'?  Quite obviously the answer is "Yes".  Som naam na farangs.

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

A typical quick shot of the super cop.

I know why I don't trust this joke.

And now please fire the office chiefs of Chiang Mai, Chaeng Wattana, Phuket, ....

Please add to the list.

Unfortunately, streamlining administrative processes doesn't get your picture on the front page of the newspaper quite like busting 100 Nigerian Romance Scam artists who are in the country without visas. 
I wouldn't hold my breath in expectation that the Big Jokester will do anything to resolve the pathetically long queues and Chinese mass queue jumping that is happening in Chiang Mai at the present time no less anywhere else in Thailand.  Foreigners are outsiders, and outsiders be damned. 

3 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

So without looking into the cause of the long queues the chief gets transferred?

Sounds like another PR move that is not solving anything.

The report is very brief so how do you know whether or not the big guy had any further information? 

It's mentioned the incident happened on 8 Sept but just yesterday it was revealed that the local senior guy has been transferred. Maybe there was an investigation between 8 September and yesterday? 

3 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

But, ...wasn't he on an inactive post already? :unsure:

In Thailand there are degrees of inactivity. It is perfectly possible, I understand, to go from a 'relatively inactive' position to a 'more inactive' post, and from there to 'completely inactive'. The apogee of inactivity is reserved for those who can attain the status of 'nawn len', a legendary state achieved by a surprising number of Thais.

... he got sent to the back of the line... 

looking on the map... the location is bordering on the insane (depending upon which direction you are looking) - and he wanted out!

- this was the best way he could think of...

Anyone ever been on the highways in Malaysia during a holiday?

Anyone ever tried to get to a Thai Malaysian border crossing during the holidays?

Just getting there is a miracle in itself... haha

Archived