New Directive Bans Expulsion of Pregnant Students

rooster59

New Directive Bans Expulsion of Pregnant Students

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

education.flickr-768x512.jpg

Primary students at a Ratchaburi school in a February 2011 file photo. Photo: Office of the Prime Minister.

BANGKOK – A new ministerial directive was announced Friday banning the expulsion of pregnant students and allowing them pregnancy leave.

The directive, announced Friday on the Royal Gazette – covers all schools, colleges and universities in the kingdom.

The new education ministry directive requires that all educational institutions provide support for pregnant students by offering them flexible education programs and counselling.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/10/13/new-directive-bans-expulsion-of-pregnant-students/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-10-14

"...The new education ministry directive requires that all educational institutions provide support for pregnant students by offering them flexible education programs and counselling...

Until the new regulation passed Friday, schools would commonly expect pregnant students to drop out, with some even being expelled..."

It is a VERY, VERY rare day that I have anything good to say about the Ministry of Education, but this IS good.

The simple fact is that sometimes students will get pregnant and it behooves a society to accept and support them if/when it happens; it beats the hell out of ending a young person's education in its tracks.

BTW, the old policy of expulsion was/is plain idiotic.

Soooo, a rare 'Atta Boy' to the MoE...

Thais don't produce enough babies and population of the old ages is more than young ages. Furthermore, there are more LBGT compare with normal genders. Maybe the MOE trying this way to encourage more young people to produce more babies. The government need to come out more benefits and freebies to the young families. 

And some sex education that teaches proper behaviour and responsibility when it comes to having sex while very young would do a lot of good to insure that those kids are aware of the consequences of the aftermath...

15 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Thread is about pregnant students, so why use a photo of prepubescent girls?

Khaosod posted the article, perhaps you can contact them asking why they used a photo of prepubescent girls, here's the contact details:

1421265816_ScreenHunter_1035Oct_1407_11.jpg.f031b77e764523fe3b915fab4cec70d4.jpg

Post in breach of Forum Rules removed.

3. If possible please proofread your post first, poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However be aware that not every member is a native English speaker and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.

In the 21st century why on earth would a student be expected to drop out of school if they become pregnant? They should be supported to ensure that they can complete their education in these difficult circumstances.

3 hours ago, blinkers said:

I am not saying this is right or wrong. however I am wondering whats going to happen after the baby is born, breast feeding in the classroom perhaps?

Yes a very good idea,plus changing diapers and everything that comes with it.This would show the others kids what getting pregnant is all about.It might deter some.

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Gee, why would a single, young mother need an education ?   Past logic escapes me, but happy it is now consigned to the dust bin of Thai history.   

Oh, I don't know.

In Australia they learned a long time ago that there is more money in babies than in education.

These days the government even pays them to make them.

Has anyone told the parents of the students that get pregnant ,the girls that I have heard of in this area that get pregnant, it is the parents that take them out of school .to much face to lose in the family, with a pregnant daughter, she normally just stay at home until the baby is born,I have been told in some cases the school does not know that the girl is pregnant .

All is not lost, our local Ratchpat, collage run further education courses for girls that get pregnant at an early age on a Saturday and Sunday.  

Parents removing daughters from school  due to pregnancy is not just a Thai thing had a go in Canada about 40 years ago made the mistake of trusting the wrong guy (not me)  as soon as parents found out she disappeared to an aunts house. 

Teaching sex ed does not work but it helps.   Giving girls condoms is better or making it mandatory they go on the ????.   I know what it sounds like but remember 

Paradise is by the  dashboard light and us guys will do say anything to get some

10 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...The new education ministry directive requires that all educational institutions provide support for pregnant students by offering them flexible education programs and counselling...

Until the new regulation passed Friday, schools would commonly expect pregnant students to drop out, with some even being expelled..."

It is a VERY, VERY rare day that I have anything good to say about the Ministry of Education, but this IS good.

The simple fact is that sometimes students will get pregnant and it behooves a society to accept and support them if/when it happens; it beats the hell out of ending a young person's education in its tracks.

Agree.

Just curiosity, I wonder if there used to be any punishment (by the school) if the father was known and was a student at that school?

16 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Well said that man! In 20 odd years this is the first time I've been "gob smacked" by the MoE! Now I'm wondering....why have they changed their collective minds? Pretty radical?

Archived