FOET course - which one?

richy2201

Hi,

As most know by now, the FOET / BOSIET has changed slightly with the introduction of the CA-EBS (compressed air) breathing system.

My BOSIET is up in a few months and having to renew it, I'm a bit confused to what course to take.  I understand the 'FOET with CA-EBS' is mainly for working in the UK sector (maybe Norway & Dutch as well I believe?) and I'm pretty sure most other sectors worldwide will eventually at some stage adopt this CA-EBS. 

I work worldwide at times and so would require the EBS & CA-EBS to satisfy (worldwide) local requirements.  My question is this:  I have contacted all the centers in Thailand and while they are all helpful, I still am not 100% if it is possible to carry out the normal 'FOET with EBS' and then do the 'CA-EBS' as an extra bolt on and this will be allowed in the UK sector.  My reasoning for this is because the main HUET underwater practical would use the standard EBS system and then the 'bolt on' CA-EBS course I believe is just a dry run etc and not actually used for the practical HUET part.

The 'FOET with CA-EBS' however does use the CA-EBS for the HUET practical but of course doesn't use the standard EBS system.

There are centers in UK that offer "Universal" refresher course i.e. both, but none of the centers here offer this to the best of my knowledge.

Any advice greatly received.

Many Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting question as i just booked the FOET (with EBS) course for next month.

I send them a email with the question if they can supply the CA-EBS training together with the normal FOET-EBS course.

They informed me that the CA-EBS training can be provided.

Last November at MOGIT in Laem Chabang, I was the only class member doing the CA-EBS add-on and it was exactly as described in the OP where I was given a dry-run on deck before joining the rest of the class in the pool exercises. In the pool, they were all using the EBS 'rebreather' whereas I was using the time-served, hold your breath method, ie. no EBS and no CA-EBS. At the end of the day, I was fully OPITO approved and thus fully endorsed to panic while inverted under water in a helicopter anyplace if required to do so. Maybe with an increased global rollout, training centers are offering the CA-EBS in the pool option but AFAIK, the dry-run method of instruction is acceptable.

PS. I always ask for a window seat on the chopper.

53 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Last November at MOGIT in Laem Chabang, I was the only class member doing the CA-EBS add-on and it was exactly as described in the OP where I was given a dry-run on deck before joining the rest of the class in the pool exercises. In the pool, they were all using the EBS 'rebreather' whereas I was using the time-served, hold your breath method, ie. no EBS and no CA-EBS. At the end of the day, I was fully OPITO approved and thus fully endorsed to panic while inverted under water in a helicopter anyplace if required to do so. Maybe with an increased global rollout, training centers are offering the CA-EBS in the pool option but AFAIK, the dry-run method of instruction is acceptable.

PS. I always ask for a window seat on the chopper.

I use Falck-Nutec in BKK to do the course as MOGIT was not OPITO approved but maybe that is changed.

At Falck-Nutec all members are using window seats. ????

1 hour ago, merijn said:

I use Falck-Nutec in BKK to do the course as MOGIT was not OPITO approved but maybe that is changed.

At Falck-Nutec all members are using window seats. ????

As far as I can work out, MOGIT's been fully OPITO approved for at least 6 years already (my last 2 certificates issued there).

There's a newer place, a new business, just north of Pattaya that's also OPITO approved and some instructors are former MOGIT staffers. Well it was about 2 years ago.

48 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

As far as I can work out, MOGIT's been fully OPITO approved for at least 6 years already (my last 2 certificates issued there).

There's a newer place, a new business, just north of Pattaya that's also OPITO approved and some instructors are former MOGIT staffers. Well it was about 2 years ago.

Ok thanks, I remember that in the beginning there was a training center in Pattaya (MOGIT i believe) who was not OPITO approved and only Falck Nutec was approved.

As i also have to do my medical i stay downtown Bangkok with the misses so we can make the best of it ????

OK guys thanks for reply.

So, I have just done my FOET and long story very short......If you want to be covered for both CA-EBS and EBS you will need 2 x separate certificates.  If you do the 'FOET with CA-EBS' you will do both the CA-EBS (in water exercises but not in the FUET as not allowed yet by law) and EBS  (normal FUET exercises) however this does not cover you for the EBS!  I know, a bit strange but that is that. 

What I would advise you to do is the normal 'FOET with EBS - 5858' and then do the CA-EBS add on which will be a separate certificate and this should cover you for both.

If you look at the training centers in UK, a lot of these offer "Universal FOETs" which cover everything, however I don't think anywhere over in Thailand offer this yet, so the above seems to be the solution.

Hope this helps....until another 4 years!

47 minutes ago, richy2201 said:

OK guys thanks for reply.

So, I have just done my FOET and long story very short......If you want to be covered for both CA-EBS and EBS you will need 2 x separate certificates.  If you do the 'FOET with CA-EBS' you will do both the CA-EBS (in water exercises but not in the FUET as not allowed yet by law) and EBS  (normal FUET exercises) however this does not cover you for the EBS!  I know, a bit strange but that is that. 

What I would advise you to do is the normal 'FOET with EBS - 5858' and then do the CA-EBS add on which will be a separate certificate and this should cover you for both.

If you look at the training centers in UK, a lot of these offer "Universal FOETs" which cover everything, however I don't think anywhere over in Thailand offer this yet, so the above seems to be the solution.

Hope this helps....until another 4 years!

Thanks for the update and very useful as i do my FOET CA-EBS/EBS in December.

Which training center did you use? I'm booked at Falck-Nutec in BKK.

Archived