Uk Police Checks

DaiHard

great link - thanks!

some highlights:

##There are three possible ways of obtaining the form. You can write/telephone the force involved and they will post one out to you, if you are outside the UK you can ask a friend relative to collect one from the local police station in the force area concerned or some forces may have the form on their website that you can download.

By law these checks have to be done in a maximum of 40 days. The cost of one of these types of checks varies from Police Force Area to Area, but is usually around £10. ##

I notice the cited website says, "it is known as a subject access request. This is not a criminal records check." I thought other Brits were saying they couldn't get the more complete CRB, and we're all assuming that every Thai official knows to looks at a subject access request and say, "Right, chipper, old school tie, guv'nor, spot of tea, stiff upper lip." By contrast, a deputy sherriff's handwritten letter from East Podunk, Arkansas would be received by Major Upchalakorn with "Hey dude, right on, big dooby to y'all!"

How long does your police check stay valid for?

I can only assume that if you go back home,you have to obtain a new one before you re-enter Thailand?

I was on the phone to the Police today and they said they are valid for 90 days and they come in the form of a certificate on tamper proof paper (whatever that is). This is all you can get as an individual, the crb checks are for institutions only, they list all convictions including cautions, reprimands etc oddly enough they were't issued for visa purposes but for individuals to check that the data held on them on the Police National Computer is correct under the freedom of information act. Before that you weren't entitled to know what was writen on the database about you. Bloke at the Home Office I contacted said they are acceptable by Thai Authorities.

Glad the Thais are taking this seriously.

Do you know if the CRB stay's valid for longer?

Mines dated 17th January,i fly to Thailand on friday(16th Feb).

Why do they only stay valid for 3 months? If I'm living in Thailand,how can i commit crimes in England!?! Surely the Thai immigration/police will have the brains to realise this?

Edited by Jonson83

Johnson 83

Mine is dated 17th Jan and I fly on 14th March on a multiple entry non O which I will then convert to a reirement visa. Technically I think I have to do this no sooner than 60 days after I arrive in LOS.

Not short of cash in my uk bank but zilch in a Thai bank yet, I will open an account when I get there and stock up to the above 800,000baht requirement for my via.

This means that either:-

1. My uk police clearance cert is put of date when I apply for the retirement visa OR

2. I apply for the visa before I have had the money in a thai bank account for less than the required 90 days.

The Thai consul in Hull told me that the answer was to take the police clearance cert to Immigration within my first week in Thailand.

the tamper proof paper bit is quite clever, I photocopied the original thinking copies may be required in Thailand. The copies come out with large white lettering showing through the background saying FRAUD!

It would be impossoble to copy one then fiddle with the details and reprint it!!!

Lets see how the Kho Sarn road guys get around that one eh :o

Seems we still don't have much idea of what's needed from/ by whom :o ?

I suppose the proverbial fan-hitting time will be September, when the new terms start for the kind of schools who might be expected to have their teachers working legally.

Or perhaps the whole idea will evaporate during the summer.

the tamper proof paper bit is quite clever, I photocopied the original thinking copies may be required in Thailand. The copies come out with large white lettering showing through the background saying FRAUD!

It would be impossoble to copy one then fiddle with the details and reprint it!!!

Lets see how the Kho Sarn road guys get around that one eh :o

Is the 'fraud' black or white?

Have you tried scanning one?

Just interested of course.

Seems we still don't have much idea of what's needed from/ by whom :o ?

I suppose the proverbial fan-hitting time will be September, when the new terms start for the kind of schools who might be expected to have their teachers working legally.

Or perhaps the whole idea will evaporate during the summer.

The feces may hit the revolving ventilator SOON. The entire academic year for most Thai schools begins in May, roughly middle of May. Most Thai recruiters put their ads up in late April, or second week of May. It's going to get very, feces-ventilator interesting in less than three more months.

Paul Smithson, are you trying to get a retirement visa, and then work as a teacher? Most immigration lawyers aren't sure yet how to do that in Bangkok, yet. Don't yet yourself get screwed up, please. :D

The entire academic year for most Thai schools begins in May, roughly middle of May. Most Thai recruiters put their ads up in late April, or second week of May.
Ahem. Thanks, PeaceBlondie. I do know I'm in Thailand and not some other Asian countries where summer break happens at another time of year and the new academic year starts in September, really I do. :D :D.

My excuse is that I come from the deep South of the Southern hemisphere and Christmas has not been in summer, as it should be, since I crossed the equator. I am waiting to see if it will take a year for the cat to know when to moult (U.S. "shed").

Yes. May, not far away and it will be interesting.

The entire academic year for most Thai schools begins in May, roughly middle of May. Most Thai recruiters put their ads up in late April, or second week of May.

But are there really schools advertising positions a whole 2 weeks ahead ? :o Those must be the big international schools who get applicants from around the world; super-teachers who can demonstrate their formidable organisational skills and cultural adaptabilty by accomplishing an international relocation within this time frame. :D.

Edited by spectrum

My school received a paper today saying that all the foreign teachers employed there will need this police check by May.

Who is in fact responsible for checking you have this, as my Immigration office know nothing about it? Is it down to the school itself? The Immigration or the work permit office?

This seems to be a real situation that is going to be enforced i have a strange feeling it is not going to just go away as some here would like to think

Just in case anyone WAS a naughty boy (or girl) at some point in their life.........

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 applies only to the United Kingdom and has no effect so far as the laws of other countries are concerned. This means, for example, that applicants for immigration and work permits or for visas to countries such as the USA will be under a duty to disclose spent convictions - unless the law of the relevant country has an Act similar to ours, in which case the extent of your duty will often be made clear on the application form. If in doubt about the law of the country concerned, ask their embassy or high commission in this country.

If this helps, I went to Sinapore a couple of weeks ago to get a new non b and the lady in front of me at the embassy was refused a non b for a teaching job in bkk as she didn't have the letter/form from the police in her home country

Be warned

My school received a paper today saying that all the foreign teachers employed there will need this police check by May.

Who is in fact responsible for checking you have this, as my Immigration office know nothing about it? Is it down to the school itself? The Immigration or the work permit office?

This seems to be a real situation that is going to be enforced i have a strange feeling it is not going to just go away as some here would like to think

For the moment, where some people are, this requirement is not going away, for them. My ignorant advice is that you find out how to do it, send for the forms, send the forms to the guarda or the sheriff or to Scotland Yard or FBI, and keep copies (dated) to show you did what you could, and what you got in return for your troubles. Submit copies of everything (including your efforts, and receipts or tallies of what it cost you, even if they failed), give the Thai authorities what you have, and chances are ....maybe... it will all blow over.

^That's about it. If this comes up at my school, I'll find out what the forms are, and start going through the motions. Will it really become necessary? Who knows? Is it possible for people to complete this check by May even if they start right now? Barely. Will I hear about it before then? Probably not.

Here is the reply i got from UK police following the link in the first post. You will need to contact your local HQ in the area you last resided it would seem. I have Done this very thing and am awaiting a reply from the local office. I will update this as i get anything of use. Goodnight!

Hello ....

Different forces deal with this in slightly different ways. We suggest you

get a friend or relative in the UK to ask the police force you require the

clearance form from to advise on information they require from you as this

is not a standard situation.

Please note:

PNLD does not have the resources to research every email in depth. This

reply is intended as a guide only. The advice you are given is based on the

information provided. You are advised to seek professional advice before

any further action is taken, see Terms and Conditions for further

information.

Regards,

PNLD

Where did the letter come from? MoE?

What type of school is yours? Private? Public? Uni? Language institute?

Am I correct in interpreting your message to mean that all teachers, new and current, will have to present this by May regardless of whether or not it involves a new hire or renewal?

Hi PB

yes I am applying for retirement visa but am told i need the police check also for this.

When I applied for mine I had to produce my passport to the local station to prove my identity.

How you will get over this if you are already outside the Uk I do not know. Obviously the data protection act prevents anyone, friend or relative, applying for this information on your behalf!

Maybe an application made via your own embassy will be in order?

OK we on this board are aware of this requirement.

How many teachers are working away at their schools now, testing, marking and completely ignorant of the fact they will need a police check clearance in May when/if they renew? Thousands!

I still can't see it working.

I know a couple of schools that are considering ways to get all this bs out of their schools and their answer is hire teachers through an agency or outside language school.

Exactly, Loaded - only a fraction of the teachers in Thailand read these teachers' forums, and even if they did, it is difficult to know exactly what to do for each nationality, and not easy to get the clearance.

That's why I say, if a teacher knows how to get their police check, get started now. If the admin at the school says to get XYZ, try to get it.

Maybe the English, Mini-English, and other programs of EFL will just have lots of vacancies. Or the programs will shut down. Or they'll just keep violating Thai law.

The feces may hit the revolving ventilator SOON. The entire academic year for most Thai schools begins in May, roughly middle of May. Most Thai recruiters put their ads up in late April, or second week of May. It's going to get very, feces-ventilator interesting in less than three more months.

Hey PB. My take on this is that a couple of small rabbit dropping faeces will hit the fan in May. A pre-cursor faece if you will. The main body of faeces will hit in about July.

Here's why i think that.

Well organised schools are aware of this and are already mentioning it in their adverts for new teachers to start in May. Thats fine. It's February now and we have a couple of months to sort out paperwork and also, some new teachers may still be in their home countries and can get their checks done quicker and easier.

Then, the newbies come in May but become disillusioned by about June and then hit the road in July. They become disillusioned because of many reasons of course, but, in my experience, mainly because of the ill-disciplined students, rampant disorganisation, low wages vs high management expectations. This however is digressing into a whole different subject.

So, come the end of June. Teacher Bob hands in (if you are lucky) his one months resignation notice.

He leaves at the end of the month.

Who is going to replace him and work legally.

The time from signing the contract to getting the Type B and then the work permit and TL is ohhhhhhhhhhhh about 3 months.

I say in June there will be a lot of empty classrooms and a lot of Thai teachers teaching, "Now, lepea after me, one, two, tree, foe, fie, sih, sewen................."

If you're unlucky, Teacher Bob tells you on Wednesday that he cant take it anymore and he will leave on Friday. So, we have empty classrooms for 3 months of Semester one. The new teacher comes just in time for summer camp and the start of semester 2. Then leaves.....repeat ad infinitum.

Edited by markg

Hey PB. My take on this is that a couple of small rabbit dropping faeces will hit the fan in May. A pre-cursor faece if you will. The main body of faeces will hit in about July.

Here's why i think that.

Well organised schools are aware of this and are already mentioning it in their adverts for new teachers to start in May. Thats fine. It's February now and we have a couple of months to sort out paperwork and also, some new teachers may still be in their home countries and can get their checks done quicker and easier.

Then, the newbies come in May but become disillusioned by about June and then hit the road in July. They become disillusioned because of many reasons of course, but, in my experience, mainly because of the ill-disciplined students, rampant disorganisation, low wages vs high management expectations. This however is digressing into a whole different subject.

So, come the end of June. Teacher Bob hands in (if you are lucky) his one months resignation notice.

He leaves at the end of the month.

Who is going to replace him and work legally.

The time from signing the contract to getting the Type B and then the work permit and TL is ohhhhhhhhhhhh about 3 months.

I say in June there will be a lot of empty classrooms and a lot of Thai teachers teaching, "Now, lepea after me, one, two, tree, foe, fie, sih, sewen................."

If you're unlucky, Teacher Bob tells you on Wednesday that he cant take it anymore and he will leave on Friday. So, we have empty classrooms for 3 months of Semester one. The new teacher comes just in time for summer camp and the start of semester 2. Then leaves.....repeat ad infinitum.

I think it'll hit earlier as even too many of the "well organised schools" all too often leave things to the last second or after the last second!

At the same time, I think you are correct about a crunch around July.

Edited by mopenyang