Czech arrested on Koh Tao after overstaying visa 6 years

snoop1130

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Not anymore apparently. Immigration has finally started doing what many on TVF had stated they should do: check their records. But of course now the TVF members say that they should be doing more important things instead.

Do you know know the two old guys from muppets show ?

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

It's all right to joke about these things but some people are really getting worried about their options...

I'm talking about the younger person, say age between 30 to 50 who has come over here, got married and ploughed everything into setting up a home and business for the wife.. the only option for him to work is as a teacher (if he's qualified), most other things are prohibited..

Now they find themselves without the requisite lump sum in the bank nor the monthly income required...

question is what are they now supposed to do to stay here?

If you are married you don't need to show income, actually. Tho' if you want/need to avoid showing that, you do need to get a multiple entry visa (available in Savanakhet, maybe Jakarta, Indonesia still as well, not sure if they issue that type of visa anymore) and leave the country every 90 days tho'. I can't stand the lack of clear rules and games of internal immigration, so to me its easier just to leave the country every 90 days than to go through the extension of stay process. I would then also have to travel even further than out of the country to do my 90 day reporting, which is made unnecessary by my leaving the country every 90 days, going to Laos is closer than the nearest 90 day reporting office, since for my area they make us go way out of the way rather than to a relatively nearby immigration office in Khon Kaen.

14 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Oh you mean in America where as long as one is a "documented illegal alien" they run little risk of getting in trouble.  In fact I recall some midwest banks that were actively seeking out and encouraging lending to help out such people.  Good old organized consolidated US of A.

How can you be 'documented' and 'illegal' at the same time:clap2:  unless you mean 'visa overstayer' then that would work..........The US of A is much too vast to catch overstayers without some else turning them in  or they are arrested and their papers are checked.

On 10/15/2018 at 7:42 PM, JLCrab said:

He wasn't really 'caught' --

"Police say they received an anonymous tip who said Ruzicka had been living on Koh Tao for six years without leaving the country" per KhaoSod link in OP.

disgruntled ex-employee I suppose............you reap what you sow.

3 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

How can you be 'documented' and 'illegal' at the same time:clap2:  unless you mean 'visa overstayer' then that would work..........The US of A is much too vast to catch overstayers without some else turning them in  or they are arrested and their papers are checked.

How can you be documented an illegal at the same time?  Happens all the time in the USA.  The size of the country itself is used to hide in, but that is a separate thing.  The USA has policies about documented illegals.  It is extremely common.  Do a little research and you will see.

22 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

This will happen more and more if they really start a hard crackdown on low income earners. At the end of the day, some people have nothing to return to their country for - no house to live in and not enough money to live on that can provide food and a roof over their heads at Western prices.

Risk of getting caught or homelessness and destitution in their own country ? Not really a hard choice to risk the law in some cases.

I'm quite lucky in that regard. I still own my UK house and use the rental income, but I really feel for many people that I know that do not have any fall back, other than to hide form the Thai authorities if there is a serious clampdown.

Agreed, I have some sympathy for the younger person trying to make a go-of it over here.

I have some friends in their 30's to 45 age bracket... all have left Europe to come here.

Selling what they had in their home countries to finance a start over here with their Thai wives.

The money they had has gone into a business for the wife to bring in an income, other money has gone into a home, rental or otherwise and furnishing the place.

Now they find themselves un-able to meet the 40,000 baht per month level because technically the husband cannot work! (not everyone is a qualified teacher)

All they can do is help the wife in the family business... which in most countries is exceptable and what they want you to do.. WORK !

They make enough money to live on and pay their way.. as most people do they're working and accumulating finances as they grow older... no-one is born rich !

Now they find themselves in a position where the husband may be denied a marriage visa!

Thailand is so protectionist that it's almost impossible for some to meet the requirements although they are making an honest living and trying to be good residents!

21 hours ago, FigaroLucowski said:

i love it when these guys get away without renewing their visas, there might be guys out there who haven't renewed for 40 yrs! 

Don’t really know how many are left, but there are US Vietnam Vets apparently that never went back to the US, so the story I was told going back 20 years ago.  Wonder if they even have a US passport that’s if that story was true. 

On 10/16/2018 at 12:37 PM, BritManToo said:

Absolutely nobody bothers.

In the 10 years I've rented and purchased in Thailand, only Top North Guesthouse in Chaing Mai ever made the effort.

And even they didn't bother when I had a room one night for a 'romantic meeting'.

I've totted up around 2 years of non-reported hotel stays, 3 years of non-reported private house rental stays, and 5 years of non-reported house ownership stay. 

How do you know that no one bothers .

The hotels and condos that I stay in , they report it without telling the reported person

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

How do you know that no one bothers .

The hotels and condos that I stay in , they report it without telling the reported person

They've never asked for any I'd.

If they don't know who I am, how can they report I'm staying?

Maybe I just look honest (or you don't).

On 10/16/2018 at 8:23 AM, joebrown said:

he standard of policing on KT has often been questioned and I think that this visa overstay confirms the doubts many posters have raised in the past.

That this man can stay continually on a small island for 6 years without raising any suspicion is a big joke.

Not really , it happens all over Thailand , overstayers are everywhere , especially in remote villages in Isaan .

Don't make this a KT problem again , because it's not . 

Big Joke is in the news weekly arresting overstayers and criminals all over Thailand. 

On 10/16/2018 at 3:01 AM, gk10002000 said:

If they enter anything in the records and have any sort of rudimentary database, it should be easy and fairly quick to do some searches or queries and find the gaps.  No doubt thousands of missing or incomplete records, name errors, passport errors.  But fine, start there look for entry date and exit date.  No find?  Dig and look deeper

Or actually do something useful with government $$$.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:45 PM, gk10002000 said:

How can you be documented an illegal at the same time?  Happens all the time in the USA.  The size of the country itself is used to hide in, but that is a separate thing.  The USA has policies about documented illegals.  It is extremely common.  Do a little research and you will see.

You didn't answer my question.............give is an example, somthing we can chew on.

18 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

You didn't answer my question.............give is an example, somthing we can chew on.

Do your own research. If the question was how can one be a documented illegal, the answer is simple.  The USA actually has a fairly long and drawn out deportation system. One can get a lawyer, claim abuse or fear of reprisal back home, the case can be under adjudication for a very long time.  For some data you could read here, or get off your butt and look into the issue if you really care.  And the article contains several links to DHS websites.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/frequently-requested-statistics-immigrants-and-immigration-united-states

On 10/15/2018 at 10:28 PM, wolf81 said:

Whenever you stay anywhere (be it at a hotel, a person's home, etc…) the owners of the place have to report you to immigration within the first 24 hours

I have stayed in umpteen number of road side co called resorts in Issan but never my passport was scanned or I was registered. I was always with my GF though. One time my passport was stolen and I even reported to police to get a police report for a new passport. Police never questioned me for TM30 or other such nonsense. Of course, that was may be 2011/12. 

19 hours ago, onera1961 said:

I have stayed in umpteen number of road side co called resorts in Issan but never my passport was scanned or I was registered. I was always with my GF though. One time my passport was stolen and I even reported to police to get a police report for a new passport. Police never questioned me for TM30 or other such nonsense. Of course, that was may be 2011/12. 

I do not stay at any hotel asking for my passport, if they do not want my driving license they can go to hell, I will stay somewhere else.

10 minutes ago, jrjrjr said:

I do not stay at any hotel asking for my passport, if they do not want my driving license they can go to hell, I will stay somewhere else.

I guess that excludes staying at any reputable hotel then. Any business accommodating guests is required to online register guests with immigration with one of the required information being the Passport number. 

I would assume smaller guesthouses in the countryside might close both eyes but doubt that any better hotel in a tourist centre would accept this?

35 minutes ago, huberthammer said:

I guess that excludes staying at any reputable hotel then. Any business accommodating guests is required to online register guests with immigration with one of the required information being the Passport number. 

I would assume smaller guesthouses in the countryside might close both eyes but doubt that any better hotel in a tourist centre would accept this?

Wrong, so many hotels accept this. The only cheap chain that requires passport is Hopinn, all other hotels around 1000 thb do not care. I haven't showed my passport to any hotel since years, and when going to higher range hotels Thai check inn for me and my passport is never asked.

2 hours ago, jrjrjr said:

Wrong, so many hotels accept this. The only cheap chain that requires passport is Hopinn, all other hotels around 1000 thb do not care. I haven't showed my passport to any hotel since years, and when going to higher range hotels Thai check inn for me and my passport is never asked.

Interesting, did not think that bigger corporates would be willing to break the law for the sake of a night's accommodation. 

On 10/24/2018 at 5:31 PM, huberthammer said:

Interesting, did not think that bigger corporates would be willing to break the law for the sake of a night's accommodation. 

My Thai DL is accepted everywhere , the passport number is the same number on the DL . My address is printed on the back of the DL so it's actually better than a passport, give them all the information they need. 

Archived