Koh Tao rape claim: Big Joke press conference today amid claims of "no DNA" whitewash

webfact

Koh Tao rape claim: Big Joke press conference today amid claims of "no DNA" whitewash

1pm.jpg

File photo 

The national police chief Gen Chakthip Chaijinda and Immigration chief Maj-Gen Surachate Hakparn will hold a press conference today to announce the latest in the inquiry about the alleged rape of a 19 year old British woman on Koh Tao. 

But as Thailand's most senior policeman and the darling of the media known as "Big Joke" prepared to meet the press the mother of the victim is claiming a whitewash.

The Samui Times printed a story quoting her as saying that she feels let down by the Royal Thai police, the British metropolitan police and the British Embassy. 

She allegedly claims the British joined in a whitewash for "diplomatic reasons" and said the case "will not go away". 

The Samui Times' editor is wanted by the police for what they say is spreading fake news over the alleged rape. 

The story from the online news organisation on the neighboring holiday island claims that police will announce that no DNA was found on a shirt brought back from England after a police team went to interview the alleged victim in London.

The mother of the alleged victim is Sarah Baxter, though she was not named in the Samui Times. Thaivisa has repeatedly tried to ask her for comment in the past without success.

The Samui Times said she felt let down by the Thai and British authorities "aiding a corrupt system for diplomatic reasons".

She questioned what was the point of going to the UK if the police had made up their minds - Maj-Gen Surachate had visited Koh Tao and determined that due to tides and other evidence she could not have been in the place she said she was. 

There was also a big world cup football match on at the time and the resulting police presence and that of other tourists was high and it was felt someone would have seen the incident, reported the Thai media.

The mother allegedly reaffirmed: "Our daughter was spiked robbed and raped on Koh Tao - this will not go away". 

Arrest warrants are out for the editor of the Samui Times and the owner of CSI LA for publishing fake news. 

They are both believed to be abroad. The editor also may counter sue, as was reported on their site. 

Twelve people were arrested by the Thai police for sharing the stories. 

The press conference will be held at 10 am today, reported Thai media. 

The Thai media did not give any indication as to what they were likely to say regarding the alleged rape. 

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-16

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Samui Times printed a story quoting her as saying that she feels let down by the Royal Thai police,

join the crowd; none of the most commonly cited reasons for a woman claiming rape falsely have been noted anywhere along this story, thus the balance swings in her favor; add in Where it happened....why else make this up ?;

31 minutes ago, webfact said:

Twelve people were arrested by the Thai police for sharing the stories.

Hush hush, these types of things don't happen here in Thailand, especially Koh Tao, we know farangs come here to Thailand and lie about insurance claims, they even kill themselves to claim their life insurance by jumping off buildings, and now we believe this rape too also be same same as above because she wants to claim insurance money.

Image result for gif of a Thai police man scratching his head

55 minutes ago, webfact said:

She allegedly claims the British joined in a whitewash for "diplomatic reasons"

So now the British government is part of the conspiracy too? The KT mafia is more powerful than anyone could have imagined. 

I guess this is a preview of what’s to come in terms of the DNA findings. 

When the Big Joke went to Koh Tao and said that nothing happened before he sent someone to the UK to investigate, the die was cast.

I simply do not know if that young woman was raped or not (as a general rule, I tend to believe women who make that claim), but unfortunately the Thai police have little credibility, so...

This whole situation is what the American military calls a "ClusterF**k".

What I do know is that I would not allow any of my loved ones to stay on that cursed island. And, no one should stay there until there is high confidence regarding the safety of visitors, something that does not exist today. In a word, boycott!

To those who do not like my calling for a boycott, let me ask a question; what do YOU think it will take to ensure proper investigations of past crimes and to ensure future safety? The only thing that occurs to me is economic pressure, but I am all ears for alternative ideas...

Hey tourists/travelers! There are many nice places about; do yourself a favour and go elsewhere.

In what must have been a reaction to the case in the OP. I have received an email from HM Gov regarding travel to Thailand. In the Safety and Security section this paragraph caught my eye.

Crime

You should report any incidents of crime to the Thai police before leaving the country. If you do not, your case may not be investigated. You should be aware that the reporting of crimes in the media is different from that in the UK. Local authorities, including the police, may give detailed press briefings. There have been instances where the victims of crime have been identified and threatened with prosecution by the police for damaging Thailand’s reputation.

A rather damning report  by the UK Gov on the way things are seen to be being done in Thailand, particularly "There have been instances where the victims of crime have been identified and threatened with prosecution by the police for damaging Thailand’s reputation."

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/safety-and-security

So if the young lady lied and seeing that arrest warrants were issued for those who reported and shared her story anything less than a similar arrest warrant for the young lady should be expected today and since her whereabouts is known we can expect her and her mother to be arrested and extradited? I think it's amazing even shocking that the British authorities allowed the Thai Police to come into their parlor and bully them. What is proof positive is now the world can see Justice in Thailand is a commodity bought and sold to the highest bidder. Then again just because they did not find semen does not mean there isn't any just like there was cctv but the Thai Police couldn't find any ... that worked. What's irking me is the silence even disinterest of the UK authorities and their willingness again to toss their citizens under the bus? 

2 hours ago, sweatalot said:

What I dont understand:  they gave the shirt to Thai police without checking for DNA before?? !!

If so - incredible self goal.

Not sure that is what happened at all, if it did - if this evidence was handed over to Thai police without first having it tested in the UK then this is over, there will be no way to pursue this further, the fact that (claimed) the Thai police found no DNA on the shirt is of no surprise.

As I said before, All DNA/Forensic testing should be carried out by the independent Central Institute of Forensic Science who the police do not like - pretty obvious why

For now it seems young pretty western girls will keep flocking to that Island and the scum Vultures will be ready to drug abuse rape and murder them - and anyone that gets in their way

and just to add

The problem now after the poor handling of this incident - is any future victims will be reluctant to report anything to the authorities in case they end up being arrested charged and jailed - that is the message that Thailand is sending to possible future victims - I hope the next one is from China  

This might disappoint the conspiracy theorists but do you really think anybody in their right mind would produce false DNA test results after the MET had the evidence in their hands for a long time? You would suspect that they had a look at the evidence already and certainly not risk your reputation on making a false claim with the spotlight right on you. Why risk it when DNA alone would still not give conclusive answers to the filed accusation?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai and British authorities "aiding a corrupt system for diplomatic reasons".

That sounds a pretty accurate assumption. The same reasoning could be applied to the Rolls-Royce corruption scandal. Diplomacy is always a convenient excuse to stifle justice and hide incompetence. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"Our daughter was spiked robbed and raped on Koh Tao

Dear Sarah baxter, you obviously don't know the reason youngsters like your daughter, goes to these islands. For sure, it's not to study the 'phenomenon' of a 'full moon' (what are they, astronomers?) or going to temples etc. No it's more about the party, getting high on drugs (very stupid to do in Thailand) or alcohol and getting laid.

5 hours ago, PREM-R said:

In what must have been a reaction to the case in the OP. I have received an email from HM Gov regarding travel to Thailand. In the Safety and Security section this paragraph caught my eye.

Crime

You should report any incidents of crime to the Thai police before leaving the country. If you do not, your case may not be investigated. You should be aware that the reporting of crimes in the media is different from that in the UK. Local authorities, including the police, may give detailed press briefings. There have been instances where the victims of crime have been identified and threatened with prosecution by the police for damaging Thailand’s reputation.

A rather damning report  by the UK Gov on the way things are seen to be being done in Thailand, particularly "There have been instances where the victims of crime have been identified and threatened with prosecution by the police for damaging Thailand’s reputation."

I think they should also advise people not to travel to KT

7 minutes ago, cass74 said:

I think they should also advise people not to travel to KT

Except that if you read the whole story, it seems she knew, well in advance, exactly what she was doing and exactly where to go and exactly who to look for.

Which is how she ended up in "that" bar, where "that" person supposedly also was, and then ended up on "that" beach and then somehow "knew" that it wasn't safe to report anything to the police on Koh Tao - or go to a hospital/clinic there.

Not to mention that her boyfriend was on a different island (Koh Phanang) at the time and she was out partying with a guy that was staying in the same room at the same hostel as she was. The guy who supposedly was at the bar with her and went for a walk on the beach with her and was still with her when she "woke up" and "discovered" that she'd been "raped". 

(The first story claimed that she woke up and there was a Thai guy lying beside her who calmly got up and left. Then the story changed to she woke up and saw a Thai guy "leaving the area". Then the story changed again to she'd gone for a walk on the beach with the guy she'd been partying with, who (conveniently) was also drugged and passed out at the exact same time as she did and apparently woke up at almost the exact same time as well !)

(If this had of happened anywhere else in the world, you know exactly who would be the prime suspect.)

Never goes to a hospital to have an exam or rape kit done, but keeps a shirt she claims has the DNA proof on it.

Continues her holiday as if nothing happened and then (supposedly) reports it when she finally gets back to the UK (over a week later) and (supposedly) gives them the t-shirt and claims she was raped.

Then, instead of contacting any local (UK) media, or any mainstream Thai media, the story breaks in the Samui TImes, 2 MONTHS later.

And then the mother claims SHE has the t-shirt with the evidence. The shirt that supposedly had already been given to the Met Police months earlier. The same Met Police who apparently took her claim so seriously that they did nothing about it. At all.

Except, it seems, they gave the t-shirt back to the mother.

Uh huh.

As I and many have said on here, the murders and rapes will continue until people stop going to Ko Tao. You still have Lonely Planet talking about Ko Tao in glowing terms on their website without one mention of even the most high profile cases. As of last year, their books on Thailand have no mention either. I really wonder what is their deal. They have warnings galore about African countries, and they rightly still recommend visiting those places, but advise about safe areas within those countries where you can have little to no trouble. I don't see why they cannot do they same with Thailand, even just a footnote in one of their guides. Would it not help people think twice and visit other places that are safer and more worthwhile? The west seems to really have a problem, still, with the way Thailand has charmed them into thinking the country is some kind of Buddhist utopia. 

That said, I returned from a trip to Bali recently, infinitely bettter island to visit than Ko Tao or Thailand as a whole imho. The one time I visited Ko Tao, it was to do some snorkeling, which I have always been keen on since childhood. Bali presents an order of magnitude better snorkeling at places such as Amed, Nusa Penida, Permuteran and Menjangan. People's ability to think and behave kindly and sensibly, to actually communicate clearly as a matter of second nature, the better value food and accomodation, spectacular volcanoes and architecture amazing traditional dance and music that still seems to be kicking with much vitality. The air was fresh the food was as well. I feel sorry for people who come all the way out from Europe or America just to go to Thailand or god forbid Ko Tao. Bali and Indonesia have so much more to offer, they speak English much better as well and there so many genuinely kind and decent people. There is often palpable hatred and not much else I get from Thais these days. It didn;t used to be that way either.  Thailand has sold its soul to globalist consumerism yet has never adopted a modern education system, you get the worst of both worlds and it festers as the symptoms we see with the ongoing Ko Tao situation, it will be Asia's garbage dumping ground as well as China has outlawed electronic waste dumping and because of the corruption in Thailand, no amount of laws will reverse the tide of highly toxic refuse from there to here and all the money the dumpers will get for accepting all the junk. 

8 hours ago, YetAnother said:

join the crowd; none of the most commonly cited reasons for a woman claiming rape falsely have been noted anywhere along this story, thus the balance swings in her favor; add in Where it happened....why else make this up ?;

To prevent her boyfriend getting angry with her for supposedly having drunken sex with Martin. Really the authorities should find out Martin's surname from the hostel records and then ask him if he did have some hanky panky on the beach with the girl.

But apparently he already got into a fight with the boyfriend so he might be unwilling.

The gutter press could find him and offer him a lump sum but it would destroy their story of death island and holiday from hell clichés 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The Samui Times printed a story quoting her as saying that she feels let down by the Royal Thai police, the British metropolitan police and the British Embassy. 

She allegedly claims the British joined in a whitewash for "diplomatic reasons"

8 hours ago, webfact said:

the mother of the victim is claiming a whitewash

Who'da thunk it?

British embassy? British diplomats & politicians?

Never !

Did we expect any other results? Nope. It's all about the tourist dollars, or pounds in this case. I will never go to death island and intend on telling anyone who is thinking of going there to stay well away. Corruption at all level there.

22 minutes ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

As I and many have said on here, the murders and rapes will continue until people stop going to Ko Tao. You still have Lonely Planet talking about Ko Tao in glowing terms on their website without one mention of even the most high profile cases. As of last year, their books on Thailand have no mention either. I really wonder what is their deal. They have warnings galore about African countries, and they rightly still recommend visiting those places, but advise about safe areas within those countries where you can have little to no trouble. I don't see why they cannot do they same with Thailand, even just a footnote in one of their guides. Would it not help people think twice and visit other places that are safer and more worthwhile? The west seems to really have a problem, still, with the way Thailand has charmed them into thinking the country is some kind of Buddhist utopia. 

That said, I returned from a trip to Bali recently, infinitely bettter island to visit than Ko Tao or Thailand as a whole imho. The one time I visited Ko Tao, it was to do some snorkeling, which I have always been keen on since childhood. Bali presents an order of magnitude better snorkeling at places such as Amed, Nusa Penida, Permuteran and Menjangan. People's ability to think and behave kindly and sensibly, to actually communicate clearly as a matter of second nature, the better value food and accomodation, spectacular volcanoes and architecture amazing traditional dance and music that still seems to be kicking with much vitality. The air was fresh the food was as well. I feel sorry for people who come all the way out from Europe or America just to go to Thailand or god forbid Ko Tao. Bali and Indonesia have so much more to offer, they speak English much better as well and there so many genuinely kind and decent people. There is often palpable hatred and not much else I get from Thais these days. It didn;t used to be that way either.  Thailand has sold its soul to globalist consumerism yet has never adopted a modern education system, you get the worst of both worlds and it festers as the symptoms we see with the ongoing Ko Tao situation, it will be Asia's garbage dumping ground as well as China has outlawed electronic waste dumping and because of the corruption in Thailand, no amount of laws will reverse the tide of highly toxic refuse from there to here and all the money the dumpers will get for accepting all the junk. 

Maybe next time, try the real Thailand.

Ya know, the places not on a tourist itinerary, a bit off the beaten track. It still exists. And there you will still find genuine people with genuine smiles.

I'd never consider Phuket, KT, Pattaya and all the other loaded tourist beach holiday resorts the "Real Thailand" either.

Neither would i consider Bali the real Indonesia...

They all died a long long time ago.

2 minutes ago, mdmayes said:

Did we expect any other results? Nope. It's all about the tourist dollars, or pounds in this case. I will never go to death island and intend on telling anyone who is thinking of going there to stay well away. Corruption at all level there.

there was only 1 result that would be accepted on TV regardless!

If they’re your views that’s your choice I just hope nothing happens to you on KT because you seem oblivious to the dangers

Ive been to KT and when I first read her allegation I totally got the sequence of events

I have to admit when I first went there although I’d read about everything that had happened there it never occurred to me we’d be  in danger as I’m well travelled, very aware, don’t do drugs and don’t drink to excess.

it has been known for target and companion to be drugged 

45 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Except that if you read the whole story, it seems she knew, well in advance, exactly what she was doing and exactly where to go and exactly who to look for.

Which is how she ended up in "that" bar, where "that" person supposedly also was, and then ended up on "that" beach and then somehow "knew" that it wasn't safe to report anything to the police on Koh Tao - or go to a hospital/clinic there.

Not to mention that her boyfriend was on a different island (Koh Phanang) at the time and she was out partying with a guy that was staying in the same room at the same hostel as she was. The guy who supposedly was at the bar with her and went for a walk on the beach with her and was still with her when she "woke up" and "discovered" that she'd been "raped". 

(The first story claimed that she woke up and there was a Thai guy lying beside her who calmly got up and left. Then the story changed to she woke up and saw a Thai guy "leaving the area". Then the story changed again to she'd gone for a walk on the beach with the guy she'd been partying with, who (conveniently) was also drugged and passed out at the exact same time as she did and apparently woke up at almost the exact same time as well !)

(If this had of happened anywhere else in the world, you know exactly who would be the prime suspect.)

Never goes to a hospital to have an exam or rape kit done, but keeps a shirt she claims has the DNA proof on it.

Continues her holiday as if nothing happened and then (supposedly) reports it when she finally gets back to the UK (over a week later) and (supposedly) gives them the t-shirt and claims she was raped.

Then, instead of contacting any local (UK) media, or any mainstream Thai media, the story breaks in the Samui TImes, 2 MONTHS later.

And then the mother claims SHE has the t-shirt with the evidence. The shirt that supposedly had already been given to the Met Police months earlier. The same Met Police who apparently took her claim so seriously that they did nothing about it. At all.

Except, it seems, they gave the t-shirt back to the mother.

Uh huh.l

8 hours ago, PREM-R said:

Crime

A "Well done" is due to the British Government for that travel advice.

Archived