Koh Tao rape claim: Big Joke press conference today amid claims of "no DNA" whitewash

webfact

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uk police & FO have been totally hoodwinked by the Thai police and they’ve badly let the victim down.  They should have kept part of the DNA sample as now there is no chance of justice and the rapist can carry on safe in the knowledge that they are above the law regarding crime against farangs 

The FO know it  hence the updated travel warning which although good also needs to have a specific warning about KT as there are unresolved crimes there and therefore dangerous criminal/ criminals at loose there and UK citizens have no protection or recourse 

6 minutes ago, cass74 said:

Uk police & FO have been totally hoodwinked by the Thai police and they’ve badly let the victim down.  They should have kept part of the DNA sample as now there is no chance of justice and the rapist can carry on safe in the knowledge that they are above the law regarding crime against farangs 

The FO know it  hence the updated travel warning which although good also needs to have a specific warning about KT as there are unresolved crimes there and therefore dangerous criminal/ criminals at loose there and UK citizens have no protection or recourse 

Don't you think the UK police checked the T shirt for DNA?

12 minutes ago, cass74 said:

Further down from the extract quoted by the original poster, the FO advice now states:

"Violent sexual assaults and unprovoked attacks have been reported in popular tourist destinations, including in the Koh Samui archipelago and Krabi province. These are particularly common during the monthly Full Moon parties and generally occur late at night near bars."

and:

"Drink spiking has been reported in tourist destinations around Thailand, with both male and female victims. Be careful about taking drinks from strangers and at clubs and parties, or leaving your drinks unattended, particularly in Koh Tao, Koh Samui, Pattaya and at the Full Moon party on Koh Phangan, where date rapes have been reported."

2 hours ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

As I and many have said on here, the murders and rapes will continue until people stop going to Ko Tao. You still have Lonely Planet talking about Ko Tao in glowing terms on their website without one mention of even the most high profile cases. As of last year, their books on Thailand have no mention either. I really wonder what is their deal. They have warnings galore about African countries, and they rightly still recommend visiting those places, but advise about safe areas within those countries where you can have little to no trouble. I don't see why they cannot do they same with Thailand, even just a footnote in one of their guides. Would it not help people think twice and visit other places that are safer and more worthwhile? The west seems to really have a problem, still, with the way Thailand has charmed them into thinking the country is some kind of Buddhist utopia. 

That said, I returned from a trip to Bali recently, infinitely bettter island to visit than Ko Tao or Thailand as a whole imho. The one time I visited Ko Tao, it was to do some snorkeling, which I have always been keen on since childhood. Bali presents an order of magnitude better snorkeling at places such as Amed, Nusa Penida, Permuteran and Menjangan. People's ability to think and behave kindly and sensibly, to actually communicate clearly as a matter of second nature, the better value food and accomodation, spectacular volcanoes and architecture amazing traditional dance and music that still seems to be kicking with much vitality. The air was fresh the food was as well. I feel sorry for people who come all the way out from Europe or America just to go to Thailand or god forbid Ko Tao. Bali and Indonesia have so much more to offer, they speak English much better as well and there so many genuinely kind and decent people. There is often palpable hatred and not much else I get from Thais these days. It didn;t used to be that way either.  Thailand has sold its soul to globalist consumerism yet has never adopted a modern education system, you get the worst of both worlds and it festers as the symptoms we see with the ongoing Ko Tao situation, it will be Asia's garbage dumping ground as well as China has outlawed electronic waste dumping and because of the corruption in Thailand, no amount of laws will reverse the tide of highly toxic refuse from there to here and all the money the dumpers will get for accepting all the junk. 

I remember back in the early 1990's, Lonely Planet warned about a mafia like system where anyone saying at one of their guest houses would be booted out if they didn't partake of their diving trips. I've never been to Bali but I can agree with most that you have written, particularly regarding the junk, either home produced or imported. What a sad fate for what once was a beautiful country, being destroyed by greed and lack of respect for the environment

20 minutes ago, cass74 said:

yeah, those pesky thai police!...many called them incompetent, useless amongst other things..but here they are fooling the uk police...or maybe just maybe the case wasnt what you and the death island posse hoped and thought it was!

43 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

i believe some posters were adamant that was the nail in the coffin.
i'm sure the UK authorities would have checked it?..oh wait..i forgot..they're all in on it aren't they....silly me!

I don’t think UK police are  in on it, just been completely hoodwinked, they probably told the victim and her mother that this was protocol and procedure and to trust in the system. 

The victim and her mother will rightly feel that the FO have put diplomacy before justice for a UK victim.

UK police were likely naive and should have kept a control sample and the FO is a disgrace as they are well aware of how Thai justice operates

26 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

yeah, those pesky thai police!...many called them incompetent, useless amongst other things..but here they are fooling the uk police...or maybe just maybe the case wasnt what you and the death island posse hoped and thought it was!

I’ve never said they’re incompetent I think they’re very devious and short sighted.  They see it as saving face for Thailand and will do whatever it takes to do that, not realising they’re doing the opposite.  Yes they have fooled the UK police and I bet there is some seriously pissed off officers in London right now who were probably given guarantees about the investigation.  

14 minutes ago, cass74 said:

I don’t think UK police are  in on it, just been completely hoodwinked, they probably told the victim and her mother that this was protocol and procedure and to trust in the system. 

The victim and her mother will rightly feel that the FO have put diplomacy before justice for a UK victim.

UK police were likely naive and should have kept a control sample and the FO is a disgrace as they are well aware of how Thai justice operates

i doubt after the case in 2014 and media coverage surrounding it that the police were naive, maybe facts actually came into play? no description, lack of basic evidence.
she was supposedly represented by lawyers in UK...well so claimed on here..maybe the info being posted on TV was incorrect to start with?

1 minute ago, cass74 said:

I’ve never said they’re incompetent I think they’re very devious and short sighted.  They see it as saving face for Thailand and will do whatever it takes to do that, not realising they’re doing the opposite.  Yes they have fooled the UK police and I bet there is some seriously pissed off officers in London right now who were probably given guarantees about the investigation.  

The girl gave the shirt to the UK police, right? And now the Thai police say there is no DNA on the shirt.

You don't think the Thai police checked first with the UK police to see if there was any DNA on the shirt, apart from the owner's?

I just don't get this ... and it happened on another case on that same island and  years ago up in CM.

The Brit police get involved, don't protect their national and in essence give credibility to the Thai side. I mean <deleted>. Somebody should have briefed the victim and mother on how to do this and then been the security. Plus a solicitor to vet questions. Hell they should have had questions in advance. It's just bloody incompetence, or fumble fart understanding of what is actually going on. I generally have a low opinion of US police and lawyers but these guys are clowns in comparison.

2 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

I just don't get this ... and it happened on another case on that same island and  years ago up in CM.

The Brit police get involved, don't protect their national and in essence give credibility to the Thai side. I mean <deleted>. Somebody should have briefed the victim and mother on how to do this and then been the security. Plus a solicitor to vet questions. Hell they should have had questions in advance. It's just bloody incompetence, or fumble fart understanding of what is actually going on. I generally have a low opinion of US police and lawyers but these guys are clowns in comparison.

Maybe the British police realised her story didn't hold up.. Perhaps they interviewed her 'friend' Martin who was with her that night.

22 minutes ago, bannork said:

The girl gave the shirt to the UK police, right? And now the Thai police say there is no DNA on the shirt.

You don't think the Thai police checked first with the UK police to see if there was any DNA on the shirt, apart from the owner's?

Thinking back didn’t the UK police run some tests and found DNA of Asian origin on the T shirt- Am I remembering correctly? 

30 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

i doubt after the case in 2014 and media coverage surrounding it that the police were naive, maybe facts actually came into play? no description, lack of basic evidence.
she was supposedly represented by lawyers in UK...well so claimed on here..maybe the info being posted on TV was incorrect to start with?

The FO are pissed about something, they’ve updated their travel warning for Thailand regarding police investigations 

But even if there is "Asian" DNA that still does not prove that a rape has been committed. There are many things that just do not add up to a rape. She was on the island with another man while her boyfriend was on a different island. She did not report the rape to the local police, she was a tourist and would not know about the local police the same as a resident would, she waited and went to a police station in a different area. She did not get a medical check. She continued with her holiday and did nothing about the so called rape. Nothing came out about it until her mother went to the media about it and now it is still her mother that is doing all the talking. I have not heard one word from the girl herself. The British police were given the tee shirt and I would say that the mother would have made sure that it was tested. and they would have the results of the tests. Maybe the mother is just trying to stir up more trouble so she can get money for the story. This has been done before.

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

Get Martin's story, the bloke she was with that night, and we may get the truth of what happened.

He is being officiously ignored by people who really, really want the story to be about Koh Tao mafias, cover-ups and what-nots.
A few weeks ago it came out that he had been buying a pain killing opiate (Codeine if I remember right) throughout his travels in Thailand, for a foot infection according to an interview he gave to a Thai journalist. However the same pain medicine is frequently used mixed with alcohol as a recreational drug "Purple Drank"

"The physiological effects of purple drank on the user is to produce mild "euphoric side effects", which are accompanied by "motor-skill impairment, lethargy, drowsiness, and a dissociative feeling from all other parts of the body".

Everything that I've read so far about this situation suggests to me that the whole thing has at it's origin a night out with that guy and a story concocted to cover up the situation that got way out of hand once the tabloids (the Samui Times in particular) got involved.

Everything about her and Martins story does add up to me.   And you don’t get much more squeaky clean than them, god help a victim who hasn’t led a perfect life,

any wonder so many rapes go unreported.

It is known for them the drug target and companion 

this could be your sister or daughter.

What I don’t get is why you don’t want the rapist put behind bars, this attitude is what’s damaging Thailand and specifically KT.  Crime happens everywhere but it is how it is dealt with that is important.  It will keep on happening on KT because it’s not being dealt with and the rapist isn’t stopping. If anything the situation will get worse as the locals know they can do what they like to farangs and Burmese with no consequences, eventually people will stop going 

16 minutes ago, cass74 said:

Everything about her and Martins story does add up to me.   And you don’t get much more squeaky clean than them, god help a victim who hasn’t led a perfect life,

any wonder so many rapes go unreported.

It is known for them the drug target and companion 

this could be your sister or daughter.

What I don’t get is why you don’t want the rapist put behind bars, this attitude is what’s damaging Thailand and specifically KT.  Crime happens everywhere but it is how it is dealt with that is important.  It will keep on happening on KT because it’s not being dealt with and the rapist isn’t stopping. If anything the situation will get worse as the locals know they can do what they like to farangs and Burmese with no consequences, eventually people will stop going 

Please show us your PROOF that she was raped

3 hours ago, lincolnshire poacher said:

I remember back in the early 1990's, Lonely Planet warned about a mafia like system where anyone saying at one of their guest houses would be booted out if they didn't partake of their diving trips. I've never been to Bali but I can agree with most that you have written, particularly regarding the junk, either home produced or imported. What a sad fate for what once was a beautiful country, being destroyed by greed and lack of respect for the environment

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do remember that about the requirement to be on a dive course. That Lonely Planet remains mum on all of the Ko Tao mayhem just makes them look corrupted. They must know all about whats going on, but probably figure its not in line enough with their business model to warn people.

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

Please show us your PROOF that she was raped

I don’t have proof as you well know, only those that were there know the truth

I said her account makes sense to me and I haven’t seen one reason put forward by the people on here who seem determined to discredit the allegation that holds any water

Hannah was 100% raped and are you saying the Burmese did it because if not the rapist is still loose

10 minutes ago, cass74 said:

I don’t have proof as you well know, only those that were there know the truth

I said her account makes sense to me and I haven’t seen one reason put forward by the people on here who seem determined to discredit the allegation that holds any water

Hannah was 100% raped and are you saying the Burmese did it because if not the rapist is still loose

I am not talking about Hannah, I am talking about this case and a good lawyer would have any charges thrown out of court in seconds.

Question 1: Did you got to a hospital for a medical examination?

Question 2: You claim that you were drugged. Did you have a toxicology test done?

She did not attend a hospital so there is no medical examination done and no semen sample taken from her vagina. There was no blood sample taken at a hospital to verify that she was drugged.

The semen on the T-shirt could have been from a different time when she had consensual sex with this man.

Sorry, but she cannot prove that she was drugged and raped because she did not go to a hospital to be examined and that is all the police can look at and the police must have proof to be able to proceed with action in court.

37 minutes ago, cass74 said:

Because if she wasn’t it would be all over the Thai press, anything the police could do to discredit her they would do 

How do you know she couldn’t identify anyone? When did her account change?

I don’t know her but I do know Koh Tao, I’m not saying 100% she was raped only those that were there can say that, but her account adds up to me 

it isn’t  only the Samui Times that has 

reported it so what’s someone’s  opinion of the editor of ST got to do with it

so you know tao and see all these dodgy things going on on a daily basis?

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

I am not talking about Hannah, I am talking about this case and a good lawyer would have any charges thrown out of court in seconds.

Question 2: You claim that you were drugged. Did you have a toxicology test done?

She did not attend a hospital so there is no medical examination done and no semen sample taken from her vagina. There was no blood sample taken at a hospital to verify that she was drugged.

The semen on the T-shirt could have been from a different time when she had consensual sex with this man.

Sorry, but she cannot prove that she was drugged and raped because she did not go to a hospital to be examined and that is all the police can look at and the police must have proof to be able to proceed with action in court.

I said about Hannah as you asked for proof of a rapist on the island

Regarding this case - because she didn’t trust the KT police as she would have been aware of the handling of the double murder case and just wanted to get off the island and KP police wouldn’t take her complaint that’s it.

None of the above is her fault nor is the CCTV conveniently not working 

yes with hindsght sight she should have gone to a hospital to have a record but she probably had lost all faith in the country to do the right thing and thought it was pointless when the police refused to take a rape complaint but tried to take the evidence off her

youve got to remember this is a 19 year old girl who will have been in shock and traumatised 

11 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

so you know tao and see all these dodgy things going on on a daily basis?

I don’t live there so no not a daily basis but I have been there for several weeks and saw plenty and  I have plenty more I could say

1 hour ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do remember that about the requirement to be on a dive course. That Lonely Planet remains mum on all of the Ko Tao mayhem just makes them look corrupted. They must know all about whats going on, but probably figure its not in line enough with their business model to warn people.

You are probably right about not fitting in with their business model.The least that they could do would be to advise to beware of homicidal Burmese boys!!!!!

27 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Medical examinations, blood samples and toxicology tests, are usually carried out by the police during their investigations.

This young woman has said that the local police would not accept/investigate her allegation of rape, but would only record the theft of her property.

She was a tourist in a foreign country. How on earth could she be expected to arrange those tests and examinations for herself?

I guess it comes down to this - Do you believe the police who said she didn't report a rape, or do you believe that she did try to report a rape but was fobbed off.

Everything I know about the Thai police tells me that they are not to be trusted.

Archived