Big Joke demands only 30 seconds per person at immigration checkpoints

webfact

Big Joke demands only 30 seconds per person at immigration checkpoints

9pm.jpg

Pictures (2) Thai Rath

New immigration chief Maj Gen Surachate Hakparn has demanded that slow immigration staff speed up their act.

The man known as Big Joke has promised improved, faster and satisfactory service in the future.

This comes after he sent his deputy to the Sadao border with Malaysia.

9pm1.jpg

Earlier the chief at Satun and several underlings were transferred after severe delays there during the holiday weekend. 

Things were reportedly bad too at Sadao that is Thailand's largest land crossing. It has 5000 to 8000 people crossing on a normal day and up to 15,000 on holidays. 

People were waiting for hours to cross at the weekend. 

Surachate or Big Joke dispatched his deputy Maj-Gen Itthiphon Itthisannachai to investigate in the far south. 

Itthiphon said that his chief's policy was to provide a fast and improved service to tourists with no back-handers.

And he had ordered that immigration staff take just 30 seconds to process each visitor. 

Thaivisa notes that previous immigration chiefs seemed happy if their staff managed to process a visitor in 45 seconds. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-16

1 minute ago, Thailand said:

"Thaivisa notes that previous immigration chiefs seemed happy if their staff managed to process a visitor in 45 seconds. "

Anybody ever been processed in 45 seconds at any immigration office for anything at all?

But he is reputed to say 30 seconds at immigration checkpoints,  not immigration offices

Only 30 seconds ?!!....Gosh!... now how will the officer behind his counter at Suvarnabhumi be able to make some nasty comments like "next time you visa" or hint for an "extra tax",  in only 30 seconds ????

And what about the mess in certain immigration offices when expats are treated like cattle on their extension of stay or reporting issues ? It is a disgrace for Thailand to treat people who bring in money to the country as such.

(p.s. well done Mr Big Joke and please make sure that your boys respect this rule)

5 hours ago, webfact said:

New immigration chief Maj Gen Surachate Hakparn has demanded that slow immigration staff speed up their act

How about the new look Immigration Big Joke gets his Department to open up more arrival and departure processing counters; or would that be too reactionary. 

I have visions of untold lazy staff sitting around in the lunch room playing with their smart phones while a minimum number of them are actually working the counters. How many call in sick on the predictable busy days/periods of the year. 

The simple law of Thai  immigration counters:

"The number open is inversely proportional to the number of people arriving and departing".

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

"Thaivisa notes that previous immigration chiefs seemed happy if their staff managed to process a visitor in 45 seconds. "

Anybody ever been processed in 45 seconds at any immigration office for anything at all?

Absolutely, from pressing the button to having the slip of paper, with my queue number in my hand, took less than 10 seconds the other day.

After that...

5 minutes ago, bbz404 said:

Yes. Usually takes me around 30-45 seconds at Suvarnabhumi entry check. 

That's good timing from when you actually arrive at the counter. It's no so much the process time that is the problem. It is often the number of counters that are open/closed. I have seen immigration queues at Suvarnabhumi stretching back to the travelators. 

4 hours ago, clokwise said:

Meanwhile, foreigners living in Chiang Mai must queue up at 3AM, and stand in the sun and rain for 12 hours, just to renew their visa at the brand new immigration office. Can they send Big Joke up north for a visit?

Can they send Big Joke up north for a visit?  Possibly, but don't give him a map, for god's sake.

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Only 30 seconds ?!!....Gosh!... now how will the officer behind his counter at Suvarnabhumi be able to make some nasty comments like "next time you visa" or hint for an "extra tax",  in only 30 seconds ????

And what about the mess in certain immigration offices when expats are treated like cattle on their extension of stay or reporting issues ? It is a disgrace for Thailand to treat people who bring in money to the country as such.

(p.s. well done Mr Big Joke and please make sure that your boys respect this rule)

No trouble in Khon Kaen.

3 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Time to do away with the TM6, do it all online before arrival and save a few trees in the process.

Guess what!

"As part of the new system, the Immigration Bureau will cancel the use of the Immigration 6 form and instead use e-passport data,"

That was promised by Prawit in February, and was to have been up and running two months ago.

I realise now why Prawit had his 'medical emergency' in Ubon a few months ago - because he's full what caused it:

57 minutes ago, bbz404 said:

Yep. Look, smile, hit some keys, stamp stamp, bye. Everytime. 

That doesnt count the wait on line.

When I see the speed that some of them work - telephones, queue jumpers going in the back doors, drinks, food, windows closed at busy times, etc etc .... there certainly needs to be a speed up. And that is only at Nong Khai land border. 3 windows to queue for and then another check when you drive through. I am sure there must be a better way. How about regular crossers having a quick lane?? Worth a thought, then there would be less in the regular queues. 

11 hours ago, bbz404 said:

That will be the day. 

I hand over my passport with landing slip in the appropriate page for visa ......

IO removes slip and checks name etc against passport ........ 15 seconds gone .......

IO tries to find Visa  (now that he closed the original page)...at least 15 more seconds gone .....

IO looks for original visa (i am on extension) ............. usually another 30 seconds plus .....

IO rechecks landing card against visa stamp .............. another 10 seconds or more...

IO takes photo and works out how long to give me ... Another 30 seconds, or more .......

Bravo! Only 2 minutes, it is a good day .......

Prediction, Big Joke is going to crash and burn big time. Half of his policies contradict with the rest of his policies. 

"We're going to target foreigners and thoroughly vete them", the next day says "need faster processing to get more foreigners into the country quicker". 

I wonder if there is any growing animosity among government workers over this clown yet? 

Archived