Having focus problems

Nyezhov

My vision is very bad so I am handicapped in that area. But if you look at this pic, you will see the stamen/pistal is OOF, while the balance of the pic is nice. LumixG85 12x60 on auto. I just  turned off the focus override. I guess the simple solution would be to use Stacking, but that entails more post work. Thoughts?

P1030338.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have been doing that, here is one at F10, Im still losing detail but now on the inside. I just switched I-resolution to high to see if that makes a difference. Lots of settings to play with.

P1040842.JPG

16 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Close up, one will have a very shallow depth of field. Sometimes, even the smallest aperture won't work. 

In macro photography, one even often needs to stack images to achieve focus throughout.  

Im going to try that next. Its the long stamen flowers that five me trouble.

17 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Close up, one will have a very shallow depth of field. Sometimes, even the smallest aperture won't work. 

In macro photography, one even often needs to stack images to achieve focus throughout.  

I agree completely. 

One other thing to try before the trouble of focus stacking, though, is to use manual focus. I get the feeling from your comments that you're letting the camera decide the focus point. Manual will allow you to choose a point about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down the length of the pistil (stamen?) and combined with the smaller aperture may just be enough. You can use the camera's depth-of-field preview setting to see the result before you trigger the shutter. 

3 minutes ago, shootrrdave said:

I agree completely. 

One other thing to try before the trouble of focus stacking, though, is to use manual focus. I get the feeling from your comments that you're letting the camera decide the focus point. Manual will allow you to choose a point about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down the length of the pistil (stamen?) and combined with the smaller aperture may just be enough. You can use the camera's depth-of-field preview setting to see the result before you trigger the shutter. 

Im sort of forced to use auto focus because of my vision. That being said, Im going to try manual just to see.

Huge learning curve from my old Nikon....

I just googled your camera model and (if I understand correctly) you can manually focus using the touch screen. Just fire off a couple shots using your finger at different points over the length of the pistil for focusing. Then you can choose the best one afterwards. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hold holding down the screen catch and change the encircling of the photograph with the goal that it presently has the subject in the position you need. At that point snap the picture, and the subject ought to be in core interest. You likewise can change to a spot center sort of self-adjust system to guarantee that the DSLR camera is concentrating on the coveted subject.

Archived