I want this plant badly!

I can see the image but there are several different plants in the image.

It’s the hanging creepers one.
I just learnt from Mum it’s called man Bali or pa maan Bali (Bali curtains) and in fact there a just a little growth, like three threads, in grandmas garden. I asked his long it would take to produce say 8metres to go round the verandah above the edge of the pond to be and she said two years.
I would love to somehow love to have them ready to hangASAP, likely means finding them ready grown elsewhere.
The house will be ready in a month or two.
Question is how.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Wife's Mum says if you cut the hanging things half way more grow and the plant starts expanding.
I’m guessing that normally the plant is rooted then grows up a small tree or whatever then when it’s in the branches or maybe netting the hanging things form.
Question is what are they for?
Do they absorb rain water or do they reach the ground and start rooting?
Haven’t a clue

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 10/16/2018 at 11:54 PM, cheeryble said:

Wife's Mum says if you cut the hanging things half way more grow and the plant starts expanding.
I’m guessing that normally the plant is rooted then grows up a small tree or whatever then when it’s in the branches or maybe netting the hanging things form.
Question is what are they for?
Do they absorb rain water or do they reach the ground and start rooting?
Haven’t a clue

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

When the plant has grown (from the earth) to a height where it can no longer grow upwards, it will change its habits and start to spread horizontally in preparation to flower. The hanging 'roots" are (guessing now) to absorb water in a forest environment, so occasionally spraying them might be a good idea.

When the plant has grown (from the earth) to a height where it can no longer grow upwards, it will change its habits and start to spread horizontally in preparation to flower. The hanging 'roots" are (guessing now) to absorb water in a forest environment, so occasionally spraying them might be a good idea.

That makes sense, because when I remember grandma had an area with loads of these things hanging down from a shade net, and they didn’t root in the ground adventitiously AFAIK.......which means they may well be just for absorbing water".......only trouble is if the main stem has to root then grow then sprout the hanging things then spread it may be I can’t have as fast as I want :(

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 1 month later...

My wife has this plant hanging from her coffee shop. You need to plant it close to some sort to supporting pillar - eventually using string to tie it to the support until it is fully grown and begins to grow horizontally. It actually grows quite rapidly. Very easy to care for once the plant establishes itself. 

I can't remember where my missus got hers but I think she bought it at a nursery. If you want a nice thick "curtain", be sure to buy a few plants and plant them together. 

Archived