Running costs for a pool

geoffbezoz

Just toying with the idea at the moment but is there anyone who can give me advice as to the maintenance/running costs of a swimming pool would be ? An idea of say the monthly filtration/cleaning cost and regular annual planned maintenance costs would be great.  Is their advantages/disadvantages between chlorinated and salt water pools ?

The pool would not be big , possibly only 20 mtrs x 8 mtrs so with say an average depth of 1.2 mtrs then it would hold in the region of 190 cu. mtrs of water.

As far as I see.. It is about 10 bags of salt and eletric for a saltwaterchlorinated pool.. plus cleaning. Maintenance not included..

I would say eletric about 3500 for your size and 10 bags of salt at 140 baht pr. bag=1400. Mainenance or cleaning done not by yourself is around 2000 baht a month. It does matter of course how much the pool is used and if its rainy season etc.. No makeup from women or no peeing is essential.. Also no sunscreen of course...It also needs a little bit of water..if you have an overflow and not a "normal" skimmer that is under the pool top..

All grand total about 6-7000 thb. 

If you have a garden... add a thousand or more depending on size to the maintenance..Prepare to change grout about every three years which would be around 25000 or less.

Just my experience....

6 minutes ago, paahlman said:

As far as I see.. It is about 10 bags of salt and eletric for a saltwaterchlorinated pool.. plus cleaning. Maintenance not included..

I would say eletric about 3500 for your size and 10 bags of salt at 140 baht pr. bag=1400. Mainenance or cleaning done not by yourself is around 2000 baht a month. It does matter of course how much the pool is used and if its rainy season etc.. No makeup from women or no peeing is essential.. Also no sunscreen of course...It also needs a little bit of water..if you have an overflow and not a "normal" skimmer that is under the pool top..

All grand total about 6-7000 thb. 

If you have a garden... add a thousand or more depending on size to the maintenance..Prepare to change grout about every three years which would be around 25000 or less.

Just my experience....

In what way does sunscreen affect a pool ? If one could skip the make part and ask the "visiting cuties" to wash up before they dive, sunscreen is essential even when in the water ? Could you please explain, if you have a moment please ? Thank you.

The pool would not be big 20 x 8 mtr s that is bigger than some resorts although 1.2 mtr deep is a little shallow I would suggest at least 1.4 mtr mine is 16 x 3 x 1.45  . I have a 1.5 hp variable speed pump a Cartridge Filter and a Nano UV/ ozone system which is like swimming in fresh water , no stingy eyes or horrible taste if you swallow some water the uv/ozone system even kills urine running costs Depends on how long you run it for and what you pay for your electric my bill is direct from PEA so it’s not expensive but if you live on a development where your electric is determined by the management company it could be pretty expensive . Choosing the right equipment and the right system can reduce your monthly running costs . The uv/ozone even cleans suncreams / oils but if your building a pool put a shower next to the pool.

On 10/17/2018 at 8:46 AM, Bagwain said:

Attached is an article I wrote for a real estate magazine on salt chlorination.

I have available technology from Australia that uses Pink Himalayan salt and the system uses 2 active oxygen molecules to sanitise the water.  Fantastic for the skin with 89 minerals & no harsh chemicals.

Are you looking after your swimming pool.pdf

Himalayan pink salt is wonderful for the skin but is not to easy to find in Thailand I buy a small jar in Makro for cooking purposes but as I said getting big bags of it for the swimming pool I found to be very difficult.

20 m. Is quite big. We have 10m. X 5m.  Salt water with chlorinenater,  every month we add 1 sac off salt (170 baht). Cleaning, we have a robot,(between 60.000 a 80.000 baht, depends on model) put in 3 times in 14 days.

when you do hand cleaning,need to do 2 times a week (about 1 hour). Pool service will do between 500 a 1500 baht.

Salt pool is more skin friendly. If you keep Chl.and Ph good, no need to change water for years and years.

Many thanks for all of your replies, most helpful.  As I said I was only toying with the idea but given some of the feedback on running costs it looks like that I shall need to consider a smaller pool.

I do have some mobility difficulty now, hence my thoughts of a pool for relaxation. There are no pool maintenance companies within many many kilometers so maintenance could be problematical for for.  A Robot cleaner was mentioned but would I be correct in saying that that is only a skimmer ?  Do the floor and sides of the pool require regular mechanical cleaning because that would be a problem for me to do ?

2 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Many thanks for all of your replies, most helpful.  As I said I was only toying with the idea but given some of the feedback on running costs it looks like that I shall need to consider a smaller pool.

I do have some mobility difficulty now, hence my thoughts of a pool for relaxation. There are no pool maintenance companies within many many kilometers so maintenance could be problematical for for.  A Robot cleaner was mentioned but would I be correct in saying that that is only a skimmer ?  Do the floor and sides of the pool require regular mechanical cleaning because that would be a problem for me to do ?

From my experience pool robot is not enough to clean the pool floor and walls ( which is robot will be connected to the skimmer or so and will clean the floor as long as you run the pump. Pool robot is not a device that you need to put in the pool 3 times a week or once a week. it should be in the water all the time so it will suck the dirt,leaves etc from the bottom of the pool when pump kicks in). No matter what, you have to brush the walls and floor at least  ones a week if you want to keep your pool in good shape for many years. Once you learn the required amount of salt ( if you are planning to have salt water pool ) and chemicals need to keep your pool clean and sanitized, then you don't need to hire anybody to maintain it. You need to run the pool pump about 12 hrs a ( any pool shop or google search can tell you the amount of electricity pump will use for an hour , then you can calculate the amount for the day and month, then you can find out how much the pump will cost you to run it) day to prevent building up algae etc. since this is a sunshine country. I had 30,000 gallons ( 143.400 lt) pool in my las vegas,USA house and 2.5 HP variable pump was running 18 hrs a day during the summer and 8 hrs a day during the winter. Having a pool is not a cheap hobby in any country. But above ground pool is way more cheaper than in ground pool to maintain it and way cheaper initial cost. I also recommend sand filter for any pool fresh water pool since there Is no filters to clean or replace. Just replace the sand every 7 yrs or so which is less costly than the other filter systems.

Regards.

8 hours is all you need to run the system. That is of course you have the right size filter & pump. 4 hours in the morning & 4 hours late afternoon. International standards are "1 turnover of pool water every 4 hours for commercial & 6 hours for domestic pools". Water Parks which I am consult to have turnover rates 2/3 hrs. It is difficult to get good sand in Thailand so your best bet is to use recycled plate glass "Eco Clear" Local sand lasts 18 mth, silica sand 7 yrs & "Eco Clear" 15 yrs. There are some very good robots on the market know if you want to go to that expense. They only need to be use at best twice a week if it is a wall climbing one! 

Eco Clear Brochure.pdf

On 10/18/2018 at 11:21 AM, observer90210 said:

In what way does sunscreen affect a pool ? If one could skip the make part and ask the "visiting cuties" to wash up before they dive, sunscreen is essential even when in the water ? Could you please explain, if you have a moment please ? Thank you.

Sunscreen is seldom 100% waterproof so it will stay in the pool. Some of it that is.. The "fat" from the cream will stay on top like a grey layer and takes some time to clean. Its not bad for the pool... Its just not so clear. I have seen this myself some times, but in the beginning people told me this. Its not only ramblings from my side. Then again.. If you choose to have sunscreen in your pool do it.

On 10/20/2018 at 1:32 PM, paahlman said:

Sunscreen is seldom 100% waterproof so it will stay in the pool. Some of it that is.. The "fat" from the cream will stay on top like a grey layer and takes some time to clean. Its not bad for the pool... Its just not so clear. I have seen this myself some times, but in the beginning people told me this. Its not only ramblings from my side. Then again.. If you choose to have sunscreen in your pool do it.

Just creates scum lines in sides of the pool and effects the salt chlorinator cell plates. When the plates are covered in oil they won't produce chlorine. So even self cleaning as most are now, they only "by opposite polarisation", take off calcium buildup. So the cells need cleaning with dish washing liquid at least yearly!

4 hours ago, Bagwain said:

Just creates scum lines in sides of the pool and effects the salt chlorinator cell plates. When the plates are covered in oil they won't produce chlorine. So even self cleaning as most are now, they only "by opposite polarisation", take off calcium buildup. So the cells need cleaning with dish washing liquid at least yearly!

Good advice Bagwain..Will inspect the cells.. Are they easy to reach... or see? Just take off the plastic lid and one can see it..? I mean. I know the chlorinators comes in different styles.. Mine is in a cigar tube plastic container for example...

11 hours ago, paahlman said:

Good advice Bagwain..Will inspect the cells.. Are they easy to reach... or see? Just take off the plastic lid and one can see it..? I mean. I know the chlorinators comes in different styles.. Mine is in a cigar tube plastic container for example...

Attached picture of a typical cell. In most cases you don't need to disassemble the cell , just take it off the pipes. Just put a few drops of dish washing liquid in and some water & shake it to get all the fat & oil of the plates. 

chlor_cell_new.jpg

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, chaihot said:

We spend 2000-3000 per month in electricity for the pool (estimated).  We spend 1500baht per month for a pool service company which includes all chemicals.

That is way to much electric!! Need to look at your running times. Standard 4 hrs in morn & same in arvo give or take 1 hr!

Only chemicals you would get with that amount per month is 90% CL Trichlor. Which is very acidic & <deleted> everything very quickly unless the native know how to balance the water!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 2:58 PM, Stokakrishna said:

I used to build swimming pools in Hawaii few years ago.

Salt water pools are way better. Almost zero maintenence.

Chlorinated pools are pain in the arse

Having operated my pool on both bases (2 years of manual dosing followed by 5 using a chlorinator), I agree that chlorinators are more convenient and even necessary if you are absent from your pool for periods without ready cover.

However to say that manually-dosed pools are a PITA is an overstatement IMO. Perfectly possible to live with if you don't mind dealing with chlorine and if you need to save money. Don't believe the hype by those on the sell-side of pools that chlorination is cheaper - it sure aint when you factor in the capital cost + extra elec plus cell replacement and having your chlorine levels bounce around a little is not the dramatic problem that some make out.

Don't believe that you can't taste the salt either.

Don't get me wrong - I prefer operating a chlorinator but I wouldn't want to put anyone wanting to become a pool owner on a budget off the idea of doing so without some of the bells and whistles

On 12/7/2018 at 10:45 AM, chaihot said:

We spend 2000-3000 per month in electricity for the pool (estimated).  We spend 1500baht per month for a pool service company which includes all chemicals.

That is way to much electric!! Need to look at your running times. Standard 4 hrs in morn & same in arvo give or take 1 hr!

Only chemicals you would get with that amount per month is 90% CL Trichlor. Which is very acidic & stuffs everything very quickly unless the native know how to balance the water!!

1 hour ago, SantiSuk said:

Having operated my pool on both bases (2 years of manual dosing followed by 5 using a chlorinator), I agree that chlorinators are more convenient and even necessary if you are absent from your pool for periods without ready cover.

However to say that manually-dosed pools are a PITA is an overstatement IMO. Perfectly possible to live with if you don't mind dealing with chlorine and if you need to save money. Don't believe the hype by those on the sell-side of pools that chlorination is cheaper - it sure aint when you factor in the capital cost + extra elec plus cell replacement and having your chlorine levels bounce around a little is not the dramatic problem that some make out.

Don't believe that you can't taste the salt either.

Don't get me wrong - I prefer operating a chlorinator but I wouldn't want to put anyone wanting to become a pool owner on a budget off the idea of doing so without some of the bells and whistles

One thing you haven't mention is the issues with weather. Hand dosed pools will go off a hell off a quicker that salt chlorinated pools. Due to the fact that when the system turns on Cl is made instantly in the pump room and will compensate for the Cl loss with a heap of rain. 

If the salt levels are around 3,000 ppm you will only taste the salt if your body needs it. However the ppm needed in the tropics is 4,000 and you will taste it.

On 10/19/2018 at 2:58 PM, Stokakrishna said:

I used to build swimming pools in Hawaii few years ago.

Salt water pools are way better. Almost zero maintenence.

Chlorinated pools are pain in the arse

spoken like a true eggsburt who is not aware that a "salt water" pool is a chlorinated pool too. :coffee1:

On 12/21/2018 at 6:33 PM, Naam said:

spoken like a true eggsburt who is not aware that a "salt water" pool is a chlorinated pool too. :coffee1:

Salt chlorinators produce chlorine gas from a natural product, salt. For me swimming in chemical chlorine pool & salt chlorinated pool is like chalk & cheese. I hate the feeling of a chlorine pool. A salt pool has a much better feel to it plus you can swim underwater with your eyes open as salinity is about same as that of the eyes. The first ever salt chlorinator we installed at a resort in Patong produced this comment from the GM "guests not complaining about sore eyes anymore & everyone saying it feels much softer on the skin".

I have a fresh Water pool, that is, it has a UV system, not a salt water chlorinator.  I drop in one chlorine tab into the filter outlet every week.  It works great. Costs run to 300 Baht per month. I clean it myself.  The UV tubes should last around 4 years and can be replaced for around 5,000 Baht.  The electricity cost for 4 hours of pump running a day dont seem to be much different to when the pool didn't exist, so minimal I would say.  If I had to guess I would say around 800 Baht per month, but that would be a real guess. 

On 12/7/2018 at 7:30 PM, Bagwain said:

Only chemicals you would get with that amount per month is 90% CL Trichlor. Which is very acidic & <deleted> everything very quickly unless the native know how to balance the water!!

I estimate my elect costs attributed to the pool at around 800 Baht per month, max. 

Archived