Prachuab Khiri Khan: Farmers want eight measures implemented to boost coconut prices

webfact

Farmers want eight measures implemented to boost coconut prices

PNSOC611016001001701.jpg

PRACHUAB KHIRI KHAN, 16th October 2018 (NNT)-Coconut farmers in Prachuab Khiri Khan have urged the Ministry of Commerce to lower coconut imports and list coconuts among controlled goods to prevent a price slump. 

Interior Minister Gen Anupong Paojinda has revealed that a meeting between a group of coconut farmers and local government officials in Prachuab Khiri Khan has led to a peaceful conclusion. The farmers are no longer planning to visit Bangkok to call on the government to solve the pricing problem. 

The farmers proposed that eight measures; such as limiting the quantity of foreign coconut imports and including coconuts on the list of controlled products, be implemented soon to prevent the coconut price from falling further. Such measures have already been submitted to related agencies for consideration. 

The Interior Minister added that the meeting was an example of how any issue occurring within a province can be resolved quickly and contained through talks. He claimed the same approach could be used elsewhere to prevent any problem from becoming too large to handle.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-10-16

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Coconut farmers in Prachuab Khiri Khan have urged the Ministry of Commerce to lower coconut imports and list coconuts among controlled goods to prevent a price slump. 

Won't those actions violate ASEAN Free Trade Area agreement?

It provides for the elimination of tariffs and non-tariff barriers among the ASEAN members.

If the agreement needs to be updated, Thailand government needs to follow the procedure proscribed in the Agreement. The Thai government cannot, even invoking Article 44, alter legally unilaterally the terms of the agreement.

• 2 weeks later...

The moron farmers of all types think the government can magically "do a Harry Potter" on prices and supply/demand etc. whereas it simply doesn't work like that. Farmers need to diversify and not put all their eggs in one basket plus not expect the government to bail them out with tax payer's money when the brown stuff hits the fan or the markets adjust themselves. Subsidizing things doesn't work in the long run unless you are prepared to pour in insulting amounts of money into it, which denies money to other more worthy causes. Let market prices take their course as anything else is problematic eventually.

3 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

The moron farmers of all types think the government can magically "do a Harry Potter" on prices and supply/demand etc. whereas it simply doesn't work like that. Farmers need to diversify and not put all their eggs in one basket plus not expect the government to bail them out with tax payer's money when the brown stuff hits the fan or the markets adjust themselves. Subsidizing things doesn't work in the long run unless you are prepared to pour in insulting amounts of money into it, which denies money to other more worthy causes. Let market prices take their course as anything else is problematic eventually.

Well said. Always the same story when a group of farmers oversaturate the market with their product and then act surprised when prices fall. Then they dump watermelons, coconuts or whatever crop they're farming in the street in order to force someone else to put a band-aid on their self-inflicted problem.

I am so unfond of the free market. Please change that for me, Mr. Big. Why not try collectively raising the profile of the coconut industry in Thailand with a Thai version of the infamous Baha Men song? Remember that one? A classic.

Put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up
You put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up
You put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up
You put the lime in the coconut
And call the doctor woke him up

I said Doctor, is there nothing I can take
I said Doctor, to relieve this bellyache
I said Doctor, is there nothing I can take
I said Doctor, to relieve this bellyache
(Oh let me get this straight)

Oh mister Doctor man I think I'm going insane
My girl's been creepin' on me, and my heart is filled with pain