Koh Tao rape claim dismissed by Thai police, citing lack of evidence and no DNA

webfact

Just now, poanoi said:

looks like i mistook it for another case of lies, see 2 posts above

Glad you're able to keep your misplaced conclusion, without having any idea of what factual information may exist to prove or disprove the woman's claim.

Because what the Thai police say in their public statements, and what's actually the truth, may or may not be the same things, as a long history of evidence in other cases shows.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bannork said:

Didn't she give her T shirt, which she said had senen stains on it from that night, to the UK authorities? And the UK police have said nothing about any DNA on the shirt?

Oh dear.

i believe some posters were adamant that was the nail in the coffin.
i'm sure the UK authorities would have checked it?..oh wait..i forgot..they're all in on it aren't they....silly me!

58 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Why there are 6 officers to deliver a simple statement ?

How many of the foreign press and media reps were there?

What type of questions were asked? 

If any , where are the answers? 

If you look at the following article written by Associated Press which appeared in a U.S. publication earlier today, it shows a photo of the t-shirt itself being displayed on a screen during the press conference.  What's curious is that there are several red rings marked on the t-shirt.  So, if there were no traces of semen and/or DNA on the t-shirt, what do these represent?

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/nation-world/article220085355.html?fbclid=IwAR1l3rEeQk6JoxI64jeuEmqCHNwXdZbqCs8hNvptaZHhKzQybwIw6nzzw_Q

894966802_KohTaorapecasepressconference.JPG.2240410eaeb05cb9d3f0fd8989a6bbf6.JPG

35 minutes ago, cass74 said:

The UK police and FO have been totally done by the Thai police.  Probably had guarantees the case was being took seriously and the DNA would be tested

No, I don't think they're so stupid; I'd be worried if they were. Probably a case of what happens in Thailand, stays in Thailand. Anyway, the Thais must've been very confident, to make the trip; not like we're the main cargo anymore, and worth taking a risk over, just flotsam and jetsam that turns up on the shore. I'd also be very surprised if this rape claim wasn't properly assessed? Given the current "me too" climate, and police being hold accountable for past failures. There'll be a paper trail on this, I'm sure. Just my reading; I could be totally wrong.

20 minutes ago, nausea said:

No, I don't think they're so stupid; I'd be worried if they were. Probably a case of what happens in Thailand, stays in Thailand. Anyway, the Thais must've been very confident, to make the trip; not like we're the main cargo anymore, and worth taking a risk over, just flotsam and jetsam that turns up on the shore. I'd also be very surprised if this rape claim wasn't properly assessed? Given the current "me too" climate, and police being hold accountable for past failures. There'll be a paper trail on this, I'm sure. Just my reading; I could be totally wrong.

I think the Thai police only came to get the t shirt and then set the usual denials in motion

The sad thing is they had a chance here to sort out many issues but they’ve once again took the short term view

For many reasons I believe the girl, as soon as I read it the sequence of events made sense to me 

From the FO’s update I think they’re not happy and have stated victims of crime can be named in press and can be charged with damaging reputation of Thailand (I can’t remember exact wording) and that crime must be reported in Thailand to be investigated.  Not sure how that works if they won’t take your complaint 

Did the RTP go to the UK did they talk to her, I can't find any news on this.

So she has been discredited, and this is no doubt very distressing to her and her family.

A rapist walks free maybe, and Thailand's and Koh Tao reputation is intact. Hmm some reputation.

As usual none of this has anything to do with justice, it is all about face.

3 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Why there are 6 officers to deliver a simple statement ?

How many of the foreign press and media reps were there?

What type of questions were asked? 

If any , where are the answers? 

One could say that they do look a tad threatening don't you think ?

13 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

One could say that they do look a tad threatening don't you think ?

you could twist many things to suit a narrative as proved here many times....or just admit that things may not be quite how you were lead to believe by a certain news page and their hate campaign!

Was there a single Soul on The Planet that expected a different result ?

It's well past time that visitors, any visitors, stopped going to Koh Tao because that is the one and only way to punish the Thai's for all the bad things that have happened there.  While the Tourists keep going there the crimes will keep mounting up.

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

It's well past time that visitors, any visitors, stopped going to Koh Tao

Yes you could start an international campaign, as the one guy noted on here, that the snorkeling ain't all that good.

9 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

Nicely swept under the carpet. No semen so no case. I guess that running a DNA test would have been a step too far and might have prompted further investigation.

Sorry, not taking sides, but does the headline in this post not say "lack of evidence and no DNA"?

I'm disappointed at so many posters writing fallacies, applying false logic to draw false conclusions.

It's clear though that Thai police is bad at handling PR work around a case.

The RTP should order all officers to communicate with the media only through approved and trained PR officers. That would save them a lot of international embarassment.

There was no evidence found on the island, the victims statement was unclear and conflicting and there was no DNA evidence either. Why do so many posters think that this is being brushed under the carpet? If there is nothing to suggest that this happened what do you expect the police to do ?

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I thought the prior media reports of her account had her saying she woke up and saw a man either next to her or standing over her. So based on that, she clearly saw a man when she awoke. How much she was able to describe him or remember the details after the fact, I wonder if we'll ever hear...

Her story about that changed at least 3 times. At least.

First it was that she woke up and a Thai man was lying beside her and he then "calmly got up and walked away".

Then it was "saw a Thai man leaving the area on a motorcycle" (but not "lying beside her").

Then it was "went for a walk on the beach (with the foreign guy she'd been partying with) and woke up to find that someone had sex with her (but it couldn't possibly have been the guy she was partying with and went for a late night walk on the beach with because he supposedly was drugged and passed out, conveniently, at exactly the same time as she did and woke up when she did. All pure coincidence of course.)

Police dismiss Koh Tao rape case after finding no evidence

44154344_694577557564759_1652207080490139648_n.jpg

BANGKOK, 17th October 2018 (NNT) – Thai police have ended their investigation of a British tourist’s claim that she was raped on a visit to Koh Tao in Southern Thailand after no supporting evidence could be obtained. 

After police conducted a probe into the rape allegation lodged by a British tourist following her trip to Koh Tao in Surat Thani province in June this year, National Police Chief Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda today joined Acting Commissioner of the Immigration Bureau Pol Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal and related officers in a press conference to declare the closure of the case. 

Pol Gen Chakthip confirmed that, following the alleged incident, officers were immediately sent to inspect the scene on Koh Tao but were unable to find any evidence that suggested the occurrence of the crime. 

Investigators were then sent to the United Kingdom in order to question the claimant about the incident in person. However, she could neither provide clear information on the site of the crime nor the appearance of the attacker. Moreover, an inspection of the t-shirt she was wearing on the day did not find any traces of semen, only the DNA of a man and a woman who had no connection with the incident. 

Given the lack of evidence and witnesses, the police have agreed that the rape allegation should be put to rest until any evidence turns up. Despite the case’s termination, no countersuit will be filed by the Thai police while the British tourist will not be blacklisted by Thailand.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-10-17

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

I wonder if there was any investigation back in the UK by the British police

How did the Thais get the T-shirt, has it already been tested by UK authorities?

She said there was evidence there, was this just a guess or has it been confirmed with a laboratory?

That's what was going through my mind also ... where are the Scotland Yard Lab boys ?

13 hours ago, bannork said:

Didn't she give her T shirt, which she said had senen stains on it from that night, to the UK authorities? And the UK police have said nothing about any DNA on the shirt?

Oh dear.

Exactly. Supposedly she was very careful to keep the shirt preserved until she got back to the UK.

Then, supposedly, it was given the the "Met Police" when the rape claim was made (something like 7-9 days afterwards and, conveniently, far too late to do a rape kit).

Then, supposedly, the Met Police had the "evidence" for 2 MONTHS and did absolutely nothing (upon which the mother decided to "break" the story in, of all places, the Samui TImes, instead of a UK media outlet). Think about that.

Then, apparently, they gave the t-shirt back to the mother ? (She claimed she had the shirt when it was announce the RTP would send someone to the UK).
But in the OP it is stated that the UK Police handed over the shirt to the Thai police. ("British police also handed over a T-shirt the 19-year-old woman wore on June 25")
But in the "CSI LA" post, the mother claims the Met Police urged her to hand over the shirt. ("...the metropolitan police who urged us to handover the t-shirt...."

So who is full of **** ? The UK (Met) Police or the mother/daughter ?

Do you really think the "professional" police in the UK would take a rape complaint, complete with (alleged) DNA evidence, and then do absolutely nothing because they are scared to their knickers about the "Koh Tao mafia" ? The same cops who apparently aren't scared of the Russians quaking in fear over some minor league "mafia" on a tiny island halfway around the globe. 

Or do you think the whole "rape" story was simply made up to cover that the girl went out and partied with some guy staying at the same hostel as her, they got drunk, went for a "walk on the beach", had sex and then the next morning she remembered that she was supposed to go meet her boyfriend on another island that day ?

12 hours ago, IslandLover said:

If you look at the following article written by Associated Press which appeared in a U.S. publication earlier today, it shows a photo of the t-shirt itself being displayed on a screen during the press conference.  What's curious is that there are several red rings marked on the t-shirt.  So, if there were no traces of semen and/or DNA on the t-shirt, what do these represent?

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/nation-world/article220085355.html?fbclid=IwAR1l3rEeQk6JoxI64jeuEmqCHNwXdZbqCs8hNvptaZHhKzQybwIw6nzzw_Q

894966802_KohTaorapecasepressconference.JPG.2240410eaeb05cb9d3f0fd8989a6bbf6.JPG

The original post stated that they found traces of a woman's DNA and a man - but no "semen".
"forensic tests found the DNA of a woman and a man but no trace of the attacker’s semen, as she claimed."

18 minutes ago, rgraham said:

Happy to see a solution that saved the lives of a few innocent Burmese men.

The was she, wasn't she argument can rage on, as no doubt it will with bar stool barristers from either side throwing in different views, my personal view in this particular case was that something untoward happened that night and whatever it was will remain forever as another unresolved. The Thai response is a big about turn for them and they have never mentioned the main thing that for me was central to this case, what happened to her phone and personal effects that were accepted as reported stolen? To close this out, once and for all it would be nice to know where that phone surfaces. All being said though your response is possibly the best that could ever have come out of this event whichever way it went with the only other positive being that now you can report a crime in any district and not just in the district that it occurred.

Archived