Road to the south SPEED CAMERAS ? from Bangkok to Surathani Koh Samui Koh Phangan, do they have speed traps ?

JukeBox1

9 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

It is a great pity that more concern is not directed at staying within the speed limits rather than in ways to circumvent them.  If any of the speedsters above ever get involved in a serious accident while speeding, I trust that they will remember their post on here, which indicates an irresponsible attitude to driving, particularly when so many TV posters frequently condemn Thais for their driving standards.

Speeding is NOT the issue  in Thailand but years of having that BS rammed  down your throat has made you believe it.

1 Total lack of attention when driving is the main issue

2 Vehicle safety

3 Undertaking

4 Redlight jumping

5 Drving on the wrongside of the road

6 Driving with no lights

7 Driving whilst drunk

8 Pulling out onto a  main road without  looking etc etc

To name just a few, lets say all of the above werent speeding when they did it  which they generally arent in most of those scenarios.....but holy cow doing 120kph on a 100kph road with good conditions is "hellishly dangerous"

" but holy cow doing 120kph on a 100kph road with good conditions is "hellishly dangerous" "

True that that is not dangerous.

But a big cause of accidents is driving to fast for the conditions, so yes, speed is a major issue.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

" but holy cow doing 120kph on a 100kph road with good conditions is "hellishly dangerous" "

True that that is not dangerous.

But a big cause of accidents is driving to fast for the conditions, so yes, speed is a major issue.

If your'e  not  looking at the road even 40kmh will be deadly on that 100kph road will it  not?. How many Thais buried in their phones, how about the nurse on a motocy rammed up the rear at Traffic  lights from unobservant driver.........looking at phone.

Speed is seen as the be all and end  all, it simply is'nt most of the time, lack of observation is.

19 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

If your'e  not  looking at the road even 40kmh will be deadly on that 100kph road will it  not?. How many Thais buried in their phones, how about the nurse on a motocy rammed up the rear at Traffic  lights from unobservant driver.........looking at phone.

Speed is seen as the be all and end  all, it simply is'nt most of the time, lack of observation is.

Yes, you can point at other mistakes, but driving to fast for the conditions means speed is involved.

You are limiting speed to driving fast at major highways, there is more to it, like driving 50 k/h on small, rural roads.

Noooo coming back from Loei up North, there are almost no red lines except at road blocks and the occasional accident area. Using a bit of sense and sometimes the help of oncoming drivers flashing vehicle lights, it's very easy to pick up the traps.

12 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, you can point at other mistakes, but driving to fast for the conditions means speed is involved.

But do you see that as the overwhelming  reason for accidents in Thailand and thus the implementation of cameras? I don't, they simply  don't look where they are going.

Drive at the legal speed and have an idiot 1 mm from your bumper, speed cameras  will not help as they wont in virtually all of the scenarios in Thailand.

Good  at generating money useless at stopping moronic driving as I listed.

Hell even a stationary car gets whacked often enough here.

12 hours ago, gunderhill said:

But do you see that as the overwhelming  reason for accidents in Thailand and thus the implementation of cameras? I don't, they simply  don't look where they are going.

Drive at the legal speed and have an idiot 1 mm from your bumper, speed cameras  will not help as they wont in virtually all of the scenarios in Thailand.

Good  at generating money useless at stopping moronic driving as I listed.

Hell even a stationary car gets whacked often enough here.

You're missing the point.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

You're missing the point.

Another fine example "Thai overtaking procedure" how many times have you seen them overtake like a tortoise? Pull out, dawdle  past the slower  car and often they are still within the speed  limit, then the resulting vehicle coming the other way  gets  flashed to death from imminent head on collision whereas passing as  quickly a s possible is far safer but again "looking" is far more important.

Speed  cameras do not care about "appropriate speed"

This situation has them driving too slow for the appropriate conditions.........by not  looking.

5 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Most good drivers drive to suit conditions not signs.

Unfortunately govts have to rule for the brainless idiots in society so we  all get brought down to the lowest possible level with speed limits, honestly some of the speeds are ridiculous , 30km/hr round a slow sweeping corner from Cha-am to Bangkok

On 10/17/2018 at 7:18 AM, TTSIssues said:

I was caught by a policeman with a camera on a tripod north of Hua Hin at one of the police stations that sits in the central reservation probably 4 years ago. The GF dealt with it. 

I hope Waze catches on in thailand - would be so helpful. 

Waze is the only navigation I use here in Thailand, been using it for 4 years

4 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

4 years ago i am sure that you didn't get many alerts on waze in Thailand, even in Bkk.

Now it seems to be more widely used.

4 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

Tried that, OK. but wasnt free.I like HERE WE GO, mainly because they translate more road names n places to Englisy than  Maps and Google Maps.

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2018 at 2:10 PM, HAKAPALITA said:

Tried that, OK. but wasnt free.I like HERE WE GO, mainly because they translate more road names n places to Englisy than  Maps and Google Maps.

Anyone use Sygic? a lot of fake camera signs and  many "other" types of cameras out there also such as plain ole cctv

yes there is

i drive between southern n bkk quite often

just gotten my #6 or 7 speed fines (120+km) 

all are from the same location as stated in the letter - phetburi cham-am

and if i remember correctly just started receiving these fine begining this year

but until now i still cannot locate where is the camera

If anyone can figure out where they are or if they work, well done.!. Ive had my Eye on a crafty one for ages, thought id give it a 200 blast  just for devilment, NOTHING yet after 3 months, it did work at one time. Could it possibly be that like Traffic Lights they turn them down in some enlightened Provinces in non rush hour times. 1,30- 5.30.P.M..?.

• 9 months later...

Archived