Leaving BKK for 6/9 months, Vietnam questions.

Paulinho

Hi, 

Been Bangkok 10 years and need a break. Also some greenery, and a place to relax, nature, closer to nice beaches (but not an island nor a pure beach resort), close to some city ammenities, and just relax for a while in less hectic place.... 

I work online so need good Internet. 

Was considering CMB (siem reap) but decided against. 

Can someone advise me on VN. I haven't been for years. 

1. Nha Trang, houses for rent great nature, mountains, but close to city without too many tourists and great beaches. 

2. Vung Tau also mentioned but I heard a bit of just a beach resort. 

3. Hanoi - active, but greenery but not sure if too hectic. Maybe outskirts? 

I don't fancy Saigon as per my BKK issues. 

Visa? 

Possible to get a year visa easily? 

And I work online. That would be OK? 

Any further advice on places in Vietnam? Issues, thoughts? Esp. From those long term expats like me who want to leave Thailand for a while or permanently? 

Thanks! 

Paul

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

visa arrangements depend depend on your nationality...useta be a one year visa was only available to US passport holders, last year my son who carries a UK passport got stamped in for 15 days without any visa at all but with my US passport I had to apply in the usual way online for a 30 day visa... the VN gov't online visa website will spell it all out...

I lived and worked in both Hanoi and HCMC and they both got the same problems with traffic congestion and etc...in Hanoi the traffic seems to get worse the further away you get from the center (old town)...overall I found Hanoi to be more pleasant than HCMC, in both places I had a kitchen and could shop and make my own food which I prefer...they got western style supermarkets as well as the usual asian fresh markets...

as I was working I had a temporary resident permit with all the stuff that comes with it arranged by my employer, work permit, etc...had to get a police report once from the thai police for which I received assistance from the very helpful thai embassy in Hanoi...

I've lived in other more remote, non tourist places like Ca Mau (a mangrove pit, part of the Mekong delta) in the extreme south and on the north central coast (very beautiful and charming, Dong Hoi is worth a visit)...my employers arranged all accommodation, transport and etc as I was there to work...sure to be different if yer on your own...facilities for westerners in the remote areas have improved quite a bit since I lived there from my observations when I visited last year...

if I had to leave my present arrangement in Thailand for whatever reason VN (Hanoi) would be the first place that I'd land...then maybe ooze my way down to the north central coast again...

2 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

visa arrangements depend depend on your nationality...useta be a one year visa was only available to US passport holders, last year my son who carries a UK passport got stamped in for 15 days without any visa at all but with my US passport I had to apply in the usual way online for a 30 day visa... the VN gov't online visa website will spell it all out...

I lived and worked in both Hanoi and HCMC and they both got the same problems with traffic congestion and etc...in Hanoi the traffic seems to get worse the further away you get from the center (old town)...overall I found Hanoi to be more pleasant than HCMC, in both places I had a kitchen and could shop and make my own food which I prefer...they got western style supermarkets as well as the usual asian fresh markets...

as I was working I had a temporary resident permit with all the stuff that comes with it arranged by my employer, work permit, etc...had to get a police report once from the thai police for which I received assistance from the very helpful thai embassy in Hanoi...

I've lived in other more remote, non tourist places like Ca Mau (a mangrove pit, part of the Mekong delta) in the extreme south and on the north central coast (very beautiful and charming, Dong Hoi is worth a visit)...my employers arranged all accommodation, transport and etc as I was there to work...sure to be different if yer on your own...facilities for westerners in the remote areas have improved quite a bit since I lived there from my observations when I visited last year...

if I had to leave my present arrangement in Thailand for whatever reason VN (Hanoi) would be the first place that I'd land...then maybe ooze my way down to the north central coast again...

Thanks for that @tutsiwarrior.

Yes, I have had a look on the Vietnam Immigration website. I carry a UK passport, and will get an eVisa from their immigrations services website and it looks straightforward. They have it ready when you arrive to put into your passport at the airport if you print our your eVisa. Then I will try find a good local agent who will be able to tell me the best visa for further stay. 

Ca Hau and Dong Hoi I hadn't heard of in my quest to find a place. I think I will fly to Hanoi then make my way down to these places. There is a long trip sleeper train which goes down the east coast alongside the sea that looks like a wonderful way to enjoy the scenery whilst stopping at these places. 

Not sure about the middle region. 

Glad to here about more ammenities. 

Would maybe like to work there so Hanoi could be a place to find work. I am IT. Did there seem to be an expat scene in Hanoi when you were there? I know there is a lot of Tech development in HCMC. Indeed I worked for a graphic design/animation studio to get EU/US projects for them back in 2000 odd. So much must have changed there. 

SO, Last time I went to HCMC was 16 years ago. And it felt hectic then so wouldn't want to leave BKK for there now. 

People say it has changed a lot. 

Thanks again for your help. 

P

I call Hanoi its nickname HaNOISE. Makes Bangkok look like a peaceful quiet park. Motorbikes in HaNOISE outnumber those in Thailand by 1000 to 1. And lots of available cooked entire dogs (head to tail included) on the food carts if you are interested.  

Interesting place to visit history wise and close to Ha Long Bay, but not a good place to live for any peace and quiet types. 

2 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

I call Hanoi its nickname HaNOISE. Makes Bangkok look like a peaceful quiet park. Motorbikes in HaNOISE outnumber those in Thailand by 1000 to 1. And lots of available cooked entire dogs (head to tail included) on the food carts if you are interested.  

Interesting place to visit history wise and close to Ha Long Bay, but not a good place to live for any peace and quiet types. 

Didn't realise it was a centre for Hot Dogs ????

I would not recommend Hanoi. Used to live and work there for 10 years. Too hectic, too noisy. Why don't you try Prachuap? Prachuap is my favorite place in Thailand. Has everything you are looking for: relaxing, internet, beaches,...

27 minutes ago, jimn said:

Why dont you just go some where else in Thailand. Try East Pattaya or Na Jomtien. Plenty of green spaces and close to the beach and City.

Thanks, but lived down Jomtien for a while. Not great beaches, and Jomtien itself not very beautiful. 

I Ann asking about Vietnam. Thanks anyway. 

3 hours ago, Wake Up said:

in Hanoi I lived out in the expat ghetto in Westlake (Tay Ho) and it's leafy and peaceful out there with western restaurants and shops stocked with western food, etc...not the same closer into the center of town...

in HCMC I lived in District 1 and there was a perceptible low roar from the traffic that started around 0530hrs that became full volume around 0700hrs...the locals like to lean on their horns...

never seen no K9 BBQ in the big towns but I saw some doggies goin' to market in cages on the back of trucks in the rural areas...when the doggie trucks went past a place with dogs on the loose there was howling in spooky recognition of the fate of the caged ones...

doggies.JPG

20 minutes ago, steve73 said:

I've heard good things about Da Nang, & I understand there are direct (low cost) flights from Bangkok now.. so you could do a quick recce.

I went there last year and the building is coming on leaps and bounds.

I wasn't over-enamoured with it BUT was staying on the outskirts so maybe not a fair comment. HOWEVER I did find some very good western style restaurants and a little nightlife and was told it got better if one went further into the city.

Hoi An was close by so took a look, but over-run with tourist buses and Chinese!!!

I would give it another try if I was considering moving out of Thailand (also heard good things about Vung Tau)…………..and lastly, I found the Vietnamese people very polite.

Hanoi is a big City but you can segregate yourself by sticking to the Old Quarter.

I spend most of the year in Vietnam. I love Nha Trang and Hue. Great internet in all of the aforementioned. Cost of living is cheap compared to Thailand. Relaxed lifestyle in all but are growing with the surge of Chinese tourists.

Danang has everything you want but it is a big city now with all that comes with growth.

Vang Tau is now full of Chinese tourists. I hate it as does my Vietnamese girlfriend.

Sapa is a great place up in the mountains above Hanoi. Only bus and train at this stage but they are building an airport a Lao Cai which is where the train terminates. Cold in winter but mild in Summer. You do not get the heat that you get in Hanoi.

18 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

visa arrangements depend depend on your nationality...useta be a one year visa was only available to US passport holders, last year my son who carries a UK passport got stamped in for 15 days without any visa at all but with my US passport I had to apply in the usual way online for a 30 day visa...

Tutsi, you mentioned the possibility of a one-year visa in the past, but then talked about applying for a 30-day visa...

I think the basic, and not clearly answered question is -- Can a person, say from the US or UK, without a sponsoring employer, arrive and stay in Vietnam these days on repeat one-year visas?

And can that be done thru official channels, or only via the gray market with agents and such?

I see the Vietnam Embassy in the U.S. has the following info on their visa page:

For travelers with 12-month visa: The Customs and Border Protection Authority at the port of entry into Vietnam determines the length of each authorized stay within the 12-month duration.

Not sure what that actually means in practice...

http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/content/visa-application-process

I see their U.S. visa application document has the following options:

1108734727_2018-10-1815_49_15.jpg.c5e4d5f454916a06e9fbd099a7f58df6.jpg

4 minutes ago, Currumbin said:

Hanoi is a big City but you can segregate yourself by sticking to the Old Quarter.

I spend most of the year in Vietnam. I love Nha Trang and Hue. Great internet in all of the aforementioned. Cost of living is cheap compared to Thailand. Relaxed lifestyle in all but are growing with the surge of Chinese tourists.

Danang has everything you want but it is a big city now with all that comes with growth.

Vang Tau is now full of Chinese tourists. I hate it as does my Vietnamese girlfriend.

Sapa is a great place up in the mountains above Hanoi. Only bus and train at this stage but they are building an airport a Lao Cai which is where the train terminates. Cold in winter but mild in Summer. You do not get the heat that you get in Hanoi.

Great info, Currumbin. Thanks. Paul. 

I spent a couple of days working in Vung Tau, although based in HCMC.  Didn't think much of it.  Too many oil workers with too much cash to flash... and so an expensive place, but fine if you need your western meals etc.

Dalat up in the highlands was nice... cooler than the coast, but a bit isolated.

35 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Tutsi, you mentioned the possibility of a one-year visa in the past, but then talked about applying for a 30-day visa...

I think the basic, and not clearly answered question is -- Can a person, say from the US or UK, without a sponsoring employer, arrive and stay in Vietnam these days on repeat one-year visas?

And can that be done thru official channels, or only via the gray market with agents and such?

I see the Vietnam Embassy in the U.S. has the following info on their visa page:

Not sure what that actually means in practice...

http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/content/visa-application-process

when I went last year it was only for 2 weeks and I only needed a short term visa which is cheap...the one year visa for americans is USD300+...I was trying to illustrate the irony of a 1 year visa not being available to UK passport holders but that they get 'free entry' for 15 days when US must go the 30 day visa route...

don't know about the rest of it re: requirements for 1 year visa holders, renewals, etc...may havta exit the country every 90 days, etc...the local VN embassy should have all the answers...last I heard 1 year visas are only available to US passport holders...

On 10/18/2018 at 3:35 PM, Currumbin said:

Does getting the airport mean lots of Chinese to come?

On 10/17/2018 at 6:10 PM, Paulinho said:

Thanks for that @tutsiwarrior.

Yes, I have had a look on the Vietnam Immigration website. I carry a UK passport, and will get an eVisa from their immigrations services website and it looks straightforward. They have it ready when you arrive to put into your passport at the airport if you print our your eVisa. Then I will try find a good local agent who will be able to tell me the best visa for further stay. 

Ca Hau and Dong Hoi I hadn't heard of in my quest to find a place. I think I will fly to Hanoi then make my way down to these places. There is a long trip sleeper train which goes down the east coast alongside the sea that looks like a wonderful way to enjoy the scenery whilst stopping at these places. 

Not sure about the middle region. 

Glad to here about more ammenities. 

Would maybe like to work there so Hanoi could be a place to find work. I am IT. Did there seem to be an expat scene in Hanoi when you were there? I know there is a lot of Tech development in HCMC. Indeed I worked for a graphic design/animation studio to get EU/US projects for them back in 2000 odd. So much must have changed there. 

SO, Last time I went to HCMC was 16 years ago. And it felt hectic then so wouldn't want to leave BKK for there now. 

People say it has changed a lot. 

Thanks again for your help. 

P

You are in Bangkok, just go to the Viet Embassy on Wireless Road an apply, pick up next day, or a day later........get the One Year Multi-Entry Tourist visa 7000 baht -  or ask for a one year Working Visa, citing your on-line business for about 9000 baht, mind you, you still have to leave country every 90 days, but travel is cheap.  I spend a fair amount of time in Nha Trang, as long as you stay north of the Tran Phu Bride, almost no tourists, beaches are clean and damned near empty.  Internet is very good, about same price as Thailand or less.  If it doesn't mater to you if the 'beaches' are salt water or fish, defiantly go to Dalat, or Ban Mi Thouat  Waterfalls, rivers, lakes/ponds - cool weather, a bit too quiet for me fora long stay, I stayed there 2 weeks, then went back to Nha Trang.   Next is Danang, Hoi Anh Bach,  yes a sort, but if Vietnamese go there, you know its not that expensive, I would put in in front o most of the resort areas in Thailand.

I am a bit jaded ya know, cause I have been living/investing inVietnam since 2000,  also live in Thailand about 3 months a year. My 'home' in Vietnam is actually in the Delta, I have a dedicated fiber 2mb pipe to my house for internet for about $40 USD a month.  more than I need.........you didnt mention your age group so I'll outline my thought:  under 35 HCMC and Hanoi,  35=50 Nha Trang, Hoi Anh- definately retired, ready for the rocking chair??  Dalat.

6 hours ago, elgenon said:

Does getting the airport mean lots of Chinese to come?

Every Airport I have been in in Vietnam has direct flights to/from Chinese cities (most I never heard of) up to five times a day..........surprisingly places I go are not inundated with thousands of Chinese........dozens or maybe a hundred so is all I ever see at one time.........theyhave their own laces to go.

4 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

get the One Year Multi-Entry Tourist visa 7000 baht -  or ask for a one year Working Visa, citing your on-line business for about 9000 baht, mind you, you still have to leave country every 90 days, but travel is cheap.

So, is there any way to avoid the having to leave the country every 90 days part???

IME, as people get older, they oftentimes don't like to travel as much as when younger, and/or end up with health issues that make travel difficult or impossible.

On 10/18/2018 at 3:39 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

They always like you to go through an agent, doesn't seem to cost much more.

Unless you marry a local lady, then you can do it on your own $40 for a 5 year VISA, but 90 day multi-entry.

(Reports from my pals who stay there long time, I've only been there on the free 14 day waiver for Brits)

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So, is there any way to avoid the having to leave the country every 90 days part???

IME, as people get older, they oftentimes don't like to travel as much as when younger, and/or end up with health issues that make travel difficult or impossible.

Not on that Visa, its still a Tourist Multi-Entry.....you ave to leave country every ninety days but you save buying another visa to come back in......if you were married to a Vietnamese, you could get a one year Visa, w/extension could stay in Vietnam for 2 years. I know people with five year and ten year Visa's   -  There're a few Business Visa's but I don;t know much about them..........go o the Expat Forum Vietnam, tons of information

Regarding visas, the practices and rules can change frequently during the year. Right now, I am told by one of my sources, a highly recommended one, the 1-year is very expensive and she recommends a 6-month multi-entry. It will be almost the same price ($300 +) as my 1-year last year from another well-connected source. I will soon check my second source and see what's up because I have to renew very soon. And yes, all long-term visas are back door.

I live in Vung Tau. I've never seen a Chinese tourist bus or Chinese hordes blocking the roads. The poster must be thinking of Nha Trang. Friends tell me they're overrunning the Nha Trang area building condos and whatnot. Lots of Russians there too. But a Canadian friend loves living there. 

Americans get a good deal one a 1-year tourist visa, except you do have to leave every 90 days, as it is for tourist purposes. 

Horn noise is everywhere, day and night. Took me 6 months to become almost immune. But I like the Viet people, who are definitely much friendlier to tourists and expats than what you experience in Thailand. 

7 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Regarding visas, the practices and rules can change frequently during the year. Right now, I am told by one of my sources, a highly recommended one, the 1-year is very expensive and she recommends a 6-month multi-entry. It will be almost the same price ($300 +) as my 1-year last year from another well-connected source. I will soon check my second source and see what's up because I have to renew very soon. And yes, all long-term visas are back door.

I live in Vung Tau. I've never seen a Chinese tourist bus or Chinese hordes blocking the roads. The poster must be thinking of Nha Trang. Friends tell me they're overrunning the Nha Trang area building condos and whatnot. Lots of Russians there too. But a Canadian friend loves living there. 

Americans get a good deal one a 1-year tourist visa, except you do have to leave every 90 days, as it is for tourist purposes. 

Horn noise is everywhere, day and night. Took me 6 months to become almost immune. But I like the Viet people, who are definitely much friendlier to tourists and expats than what you experience in Thailand. 

Yes, @Kaoboi Bebobp.

Just back from VN embassy in bangkok. No chance to get 1 year there. Nor working visa without business in VN. So just got tourist visa and will see someone on ground when there (go this week). 

Would you be as kind as to PM me any agent/source you know or a number I can call you on once I am in VN. 

Yes, as here long term visas were back door and now kind back doors have closed pretty much.. 

Thanks for info on Nha Trang. Conflicting reports but I will check it out also some other places along coast and Vung Tau. So maybe we can catch up there. 

Cheers, 

P

On 10/20/2018 at 3:59 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

You are in Bangkok, just go to the Viet Embassy on Wireless Road an apply, pick up next day, or a day later........get the One Year Multi-Entry Tourist visa 7000 baht -  or ask for a one year Working Visa, citing your on-line business for about 9000 baht, mind you, you still have to leave country every 90 days, but travel is cheap.  I spend a fair amount of time in Nha Trang, as long as you stay north of the Tran Phu Bride, almost no tourists, beaches are clean and damned near empty.  Internet is very good, about same price as Thailand or less.  If it doesn't mater to you if the 'beaches' are salt water or fish, defiantly go to Dalat, or Ban Mi Thouat  Waterfalls, rivers, lakes/ponds - cool weather, a bit too quiet for me fora long stay, I stayed there 2 weeks, then went back to Nha Trang.   Next is Danang, Hoi Anh Bach,  yes a sort, but if Vietnamese go there, you know its not that expensive, I would put in in front o most of the resort areas in Thailand.

I am a bit jaded ya know, cause I have been living/investing inVietnam since 2000,  also live in Thailand about 3 months a year. My 'home' in Vietnam is actually in the Delta, I have a dedicated fiber 2mb pipe to my house for internet for about $40 USD a month.  more than I need.........you didnt mention your age group so I'll outline my thought:  under 35 HCMC and Hanoi,  35=50 Nha Trang, Hoi Anh- definately retired, ready for the rocking chair??  Dalat.

Thanks, Tunnel Rat. 

As per my last post just been to VN embassy here bkk. 

No 6 month multi-entry as another poster mentioned. Nor 1 year or working visa which they said requires a business / docs. Etc showing you have business in VN or are employed. Just got a tourist visa and will enquire more on ground in VN with agents. 

Thanks for the other info and places you mentioned. 

Very helpful and sounds wonderful Dalat and Ban Mi Thouat.

Could you PM me so when I'm there I can maybe get some more advice on both visa and Internet providers etc... 

Many thanks, 

P

Archived