Leaving BKK for 6/9 months, Vietnam questions.

Paulinho

On 10/21/2018 at 3:38 AM, TunnelRat69 said:

Not on that Visa, its still a Tourist Multi-Entry.....you ave to leave country every ninety days but you save buying another visa to come back in......if you were married to a Vietnamese, you could get a one year Visa, w/extension could stay in Vietnam for 2 years. I know people with five year and ten year Visa's   -  There're a few Business Visa's but I don;t know much about them..........go o the Expat Forum Vietnam, tons of information

Tunnel Rat, which forums do you refer to / recommend? 

Thanks, 

P

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI.. 

I applied for an eVisa last Friday on the official VN site. 

Paid, uploaded all docs, got registration code. Tried to search progress today (they have a tracking number and part of the site). 

"no results found..." 

That's why I went to the embassy here in bkk instead. 

14 hours ago, Paulinho said:

Tunnel Rat, which forums do you refer to / recommend? 

Thanks, 

P

Its Expat.com find the Asia link, then Vietnam and subscribe................lots of information there, hardly any of the bickering you might find on "Other Forms":1zgarz5:

On 10/22/2018 at 11:14 AM, Paulinho said:

Yes, @Kaoboi Bebobp.

Just back from VN embassy in bangkok. No chance to get 1 year there. Nor working visa without business in VN. So just got tourist visa and will see someone on ground when there (go this week). 

Would you be as kind as to PM me any agent/source you know or a number I can call you on once I am in VN. 

Yes, as here long term visas were back door and now kind back doors have closed pretty much.. 

Thanks for info on Nha Trang. Conflicting reports but I will check it out also some other places along coast and Vung Tau. So maybe we can catch up there. 

Cheers, 

P

The best visa I remember from the VN embassy in BKK was a 3-month single entry. Not much good.

There are loads of VN expat sites on FB, always associated with a city or region. Otherwise, no such thing like Thaivisa. 

I mention this because that's where the agents post. The highly recommended one I mentioned earlier is Xuanlan Duong Thi. She is often linked on visa questions. Also, it's not worth talking to her on the phone because I and others find it hard to understand her English. Much better to send her an FB Messenger query. But you'll have to become a member of the Vung Tau expats FB pages (there are two worth mentioning).

4 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

The best visa I remember from the VN embassy in BKK was a 3-month single entry. Not much good.

There are loads of VN expat sites on FB, always associated with a city or region. Otherwise, no such thing like Thaivisa. 

I mention this because that's where the agents post. The highly recommended one I mentioned earlier is Xuanlan Duong Thi. She is often linked on visa questions. Also, it's not worth talking to her on the phone because I and others find it hard to understand her English. Much better to send her an FB Messenger query. But you'll have to become a member of the Vung Tau expats FB pages (there are two worth mentioning).

Thanks for that. Useful. 

Two groups? Do you know names or I'll just find on FB? 

P

25 minutes ago, how241 said:

I visited Vietnam for 10 days last year.  My impression was that things like hotels and food were 30-50%  higher then Thailand.  Car taxi's where were cheap and plentiful.  I was in  Hanoi. and Saigon. 

Depends how low you want to go.

I always paid 400-700bht in Thailand/Laos, 800peso in Philippines, 400,000- 600,000dong in Vietnam.

Vietnam the beach resorts were a lot cheaper than HCMC, but they usually included a breakfast.

I always stayed in the same standard hotels insisting on, fridge, aircon, TV, wifi. 

All the countries were a similar price for per night hotels.

Thailand was a bit more for beachfront hotels if anything.

good accommodation can be found in both the old town of Hanoi and district 1 in HCMC for around USD40 per night with AC, satellite TV, free wifi, minibar, etc...clean and comfortable...last year in Hanoi I splashed out and got a room with a top floor terrace for USD70 per night, quite nice but it rained a lot when I was there...breakfast included in all the prices...

scout around a bit and you can find a supermarket and a bakery with attached banh mi vendor close by as restaurants that cater to tourists can be expensive...useta get avocados from the supermarket and a couple of baguettes from the bakery and have them available to snack on...also nice to take an avocado to the breakfast buffet to eat with fresh bread, followed by an omelette or some pho or both...always buy booze and snacks from the supermarket as the little convenience stores are a rip off...there's usually cheap burgers and pizza available everywhere...pub food, etc...

1 hour ago, DonDoRondo said:

I want to go to Da Nang for 5 weeks beginning 1/5/19.  Can anyone recommend a long stay apartment such as can be found in Chiang Mai, that is, decent sq meter, housekeeping once or twice a week, and someone at a reception desk in the lobby?..........after 5 years I've had enough of Thailand and want to try something else.

Looking for a central location - don't care about night life - will want to rent a scooter.

I will be interested in the responses, even though a little nightlife would suit me...……….went there last year but was on the outskirts of the city so perhaps didn't give it a fair go!

Oh my. Just found out 1-year multi-entry business visa (visa of choice for long stays) has skyrocketed to $800US (25,000 baht) to $950. That's more than double what I paid for the current (nearly expired) 1-year visa. My agent urged a 6-month multi-entry visa for now until (if) prices come down again. This info is from two different agents. 

Also a new twist: Anyone extending their visas have to receive from the house/apartment owner a police stamped statement of proof of residency to be given to immigration with the application before an extension will be granted. An agent posted this on an FB expats page saying some owners were not informing police of a tenant's residency.

1 hour ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Oh my. Just found out 1-year multi-entry business visa (visa of choice for long stays) has skyrocketed to $800US (25,000 baht) to $950. That's more than double what I paid for the current (nearly expired) 1-year visa. My agent urged a 6-month multi-entry visa for now until (if) prices come down again. This info is from two different agents. 

Also a new twist: Anyone extending their visas have to receive from the house/apartment owner a police stamped statement of proof of residency to be given to immigration with the application before an extension will be granted. An agent posted this on an FB expats page saying some owners were not informing police of a tenant's residency.

@Kaoboi Bebobp

Am in Hanoi now. 

Just found a place to rent (I think) so will discuss with landlady on Monday when sign contract re. Getting contract stamped by police. Good to get that info before I sign. Timely!

I know you mentioned the FB groups to join. 

Forgive me as have been overloaded. But you sent me the agents name and FB groups on PM yes? I recall but so much Info before the move I cannot find now.... 

Would you be so kind as to PM me again that info and I'll give you my email and VN phone, else if you have an email I can reach you on / Viet mobile would be appreciated. 

Many thanks, 

P

Visa agents are very localized and their practices are based on what the local immigration officers (Hanoi, in your case) require. It  would be best to contact someone through the Hanoi expats group on FB. A quick search on their FB page would yield many recommendations, I'm sure. I'm not a member of that group though, as I live in the extreme opposite end of Vietnam.

2 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Visa agents are very localized and their practices are based on what the local immigration officers (Hanoi, in your case) require. It  would be best to contact someone through the Hanoi expats group on FB. A quick search on their FB page would yield many recommendations, I'm sure. I'm not a member of that group though, as I live in the extreme opposite end of Vietnam.

Many thanks, @Kaoboi Bebobp

21 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

KB, interested that you used the term "extension" above regarding getting a new Vietnam visa.

Is it possible to get a new visa or a visa extension INSIDE Vietnam without having to leave the country every 6 months or 1 year?  I thought I've read other posts here that seemed to say leaving the country each time was a requirement, if not to obtain a new visa outside Vietnam, then just to leave the country period for Immigration purposes.

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

KB, interested that you used the term "extension" above regarding getting a new Vietnam visa.

Is it possible to get a new visa or a visa extension INSIDE Vietnam without having to leave the country every 6 months or 1 year?  I thought I've read other posts here that seemed to say leaving the country each time was a requirement, if not to obtain a new visa outside Vietnam, then just to leave the country period for Immigration purposes.

I have done so, gotten an extension inside VN. I went from a 3-month business visa to a 1-year business visa, multi-entry. This apparently made a difference, it being an extension of the same visa class. But a friend who applied for the same visa inside VN, had to leave and pay more. He only had a tourist visa before the application. I can't be 100% sure but because I already had a business visa (3-month) I could extend inside VN. Tomorrow, the rules will be different. LOL

And yesterday, I just applied for a 6-month multi-entry business visa, extending from a 1-year biz visa. I do not have to leave. The 1-year was outrageously expensive and my agent said go for the 6-month one, one-third the cost of a 1-year.

To add: Not having to leave could be a function of the agent's contacts. Or not. It's never really a sure thing. In 6 months, I may have to leave to obtain a new one. 

On 10/28/2018 at 2:37 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I have done so, gotten an extension inside VN. I went from a 3-month business visa to a 1-year business visa, multi-entry. This apparently made a difference, it being an extension of the same visa class. But a friend who applied for the same visa inside VN, had to leave and pay more. He only had a tourist visa before the application. I can't be 100% sure but because I already had a business visa (3-month) I could extend inside VN. Tomorrow, the rules will be different. LOL

And yesterday, I just applied for a 6-month multi-entry business visa, extending from a 1-year biz visa. I do not have to leave. The 1-year was outrageously expensive and my agent said go for the 6-month one, one-third the cost of a 1-year.

To add: Not having to leave could be a function of the agent's contacts. Or not. It's never really a sure thing. In 6 months, I may have to leave to obtain a new one. 

I'm on a 3 month multi entry tourist visa. 

I've contacted several agents and yes, the rules are changing (a bit like Thailand....).

From one agent:

"Thank you, there is NO option at the moment for 6 month or a year long visa [government canceled this visas few month ago]. The only visa you can apply is 3 month / single / multiple.

If you have a company to sponsor you, then, i am able to help you with 6 or a year long visa.

Let me know if you need more help regarding this.“

Now, if you have a business visa as @Kaoboi Bebobp has (I. E. You are working for a Vietnamese company or have a company sponsoring you or your own business) then of course the rules will be different.

But a 6 or 1 year visa is not available as the rules have recently been tightened. 

Vietnam is an up and coming place and I presume they are now in the process of ensuring immigration rules work with their plans for the future. 

P

• 1 month later...

Bought a 1 year's B-VISA in the recent past. Some online agents do sell those for T-VISAs for less. If you need a reliable agent, I can recommend you one (PM, please)

Check out DANANG and HO ANH (spelling ?)

Get a Huawei black box as internet backup and add a local SIM card to the hot spot.

www.gt-rider.com does have trip reports with photos, read a few...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 12:28 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Immigration in Ha Noi have previously told me that I can extend my 3 month entry by another 3 months as many times as I want without leaving the country ($10 charge each extension) but then I have a 5 year visa.

16 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Immigration in Ha Noi have previously told me that I can extend my 3 month entry by another 3 months as many times as I want without leaving the country ($10 charge each extension) but then I have a 5 year visa.

What kind of 5 year visa, obtained from where/who, and on what basis?

I had a 1-year Multi-Entry business visa when I was working there, applied for by the company.  It was renewed for a following year with no need to leave the country, and remained valid even after I had left their employment... i.e, it wasn't tied to any particular company.  But that was 10 years ago, so things may have changed.

Archived