BANGKOK 23 March 2019 19:17
Paulinho

Leaving BKK for 6/9 months, Vietnam questions.

On 10/21/2018 at 3:38 AM, TunnelRat69 said:

Not on that Visa, its still a Tourist Multi-Entry.....you ave to leave country every ninety days but you save buying another visa to come back in......if you were married to a Vietnamese, you could get a one year Visa, w/extension could stay in Vietnam for 2 years. I know people with five year and ten year Visa's   -  There're a few Business Visa's but I don;t know much about them..........go o the Expat Forum Vietnam, tons of information

Tunnel Rat, which forums do you refer to / recommend? 

Thanks, 

P

FYI.. 

I applied for an eVisa last Friday on the official VN site. 

Paid, uploaded all docs, got registration code. Tried to search progress today (they have a tracking number and part of the site). 

"no results found..." 

That's why I went to the embassy here in bkk instead. 

14 hours ago, Paulinho said:

Tunnel Rat, which forums do you refer to / recommend? 

Thanks, 

P

Its Expat.com find the Asia link, then Vietnam and subscribe................lots of information there, hardly any of the bickering you might find on "Other Forms":1zgarz5:

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 11:14 AM, Paulinho said:

Yes, @Kaoboi Bebobp.

Just back from VN embassy in bangkok. No chance to get 1 year there. Nor working visa without business in VN. So just got tourist visa and will see someone on ground when there (go this week). 

Would you be as kind as to PM me any agent/source you know or a number I can call you on once I am in VN. 

Yes, as here long term visas were back door and now kind back doors have closed pretty much.. 

Thanks for info on Nha Trang. Conflicting reports but I will check it out also some other places along coast and Vung Tau. So maybe we can catch up there. 

Cheers, 

P

The best visa I remember from the VN embassy in BKK was a 3-month single entry. Not much good.

There are loads of VN expat sites on FB, always associated with a city or region. Otherwise, no such thing like Thaivisa. 

I mention this because that's where the agents post. The highly recommended one I mentioned earlier is Xuanlan Duong Thi. She is often linked on visa questions. Also, it's not worth talking to her on the phone because I and others find it hard to understand her English. Much better to send her an FB Messenger query. But you'll have to become a member of the Vung Tau expats FB pages (there are two worth mentioning).

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

The best visa I remember from the VN embassy in BKK was a 3-month single entry. Not much good.

There are loads of VN expat sites on FB, always associated with a city or region. Otherwise, no such thing like Thaivisa. 

I mention this because that's where the agents post. The highly recommended one I mentioned earlier is Xuanlan Duong Thi. She is often linked on visa questions. Also, it's not worth talking to her on the phone because I and others find it hard to understand her English. Much better to send her an FB Messenger query. But you'll have to become a member of the Vung Tau expats FB pages (there are two worth mentioning).

Thanks for that. Useful. 

Two groups? Do you know names or I'll just find on FB? 

P

7 minutes ago, Paulinho said:

Thanks for that. Useful. 

Two groups? Do you know names or I'll just find on FB? 

P

Don't know if the TV machinery will axe these names but: Vung Tau Peoples Forum and Expats in Vung Tau (Vietnam). 

40 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Don't know if the TV machinery will axe these names but: Vung Tau Peoples Forum and Expats in Vung Tau (Vietnam). 

Thanks for that. 

P

On 10/20/2018 at 8:20 PM, BritManToo said:

Unless you marry a local lady, then you can do it on your own $40 for a 5 year VISA, but 90 day multi-entry.

The 5 year visa is now free and they stamp you in for 6 months, but you can extend it at immigration.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The 5 year visa is now free and they stamp you in for 6 months, but you can extend it at immigration.

Do you need to married there? 

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

No, you can get married anywhere.

Sorry, don't follow you? 

Do you have to be married to a Vietnamese woman? 

12 minutes ago, Paulinho said:

Sorry, don't follow you? 

Do you have to be married to a Vietnamese woman? 

Yes, but you don't have to have got married there, you can marry in any country.

• Like 1

I visited Vietnam for 10 days last year.  My impression was that things like hotels and food were 30-50%  higher then Thailand.  Car taxi's where were cheap and plentiful.  I was in  Hanoi. and Saigon. 

25 minutes ago, how241 said:

I visited Vietnam for 10 days last year.  My impression was that things like hotels and food were 30-50%  higher then Thailand.  Car taxi's where were cheap and plentiful.  I was in  Hanoi. and Saigon. 

Depends how low you want to go.

I always paid 400-700bht in Thailand/Laos, 800peso in Philippines, 400,000- 600,000dong in Vietnam.

Vietnam the beach resorts were a lot cheaper than HCMC, but they usually included a breakfast.

I always stayed in the same standard hotels insisting on, fridge, aircon, TV, wifi. 

All the countries were a similar price for per night hotels.

Thailand was a bit more for beachfront hotels if anything.

Edited by BritManToo

good accommodation can be found in both the old town of Hanoi and district 1 in HCMC for around USD40 per night with AC, satellite TV, free wifi, minibar, etc...clean and comfortable...last year in Hanoi I splashed out and got a room with a top floor terrace for USD70 per night, quite nice but it rained a lot when I was there...breakfast included in all the prices...

scout around a bit and you can find a supermarket and a bakery with attached banh mi vendor close by as restaurants that cater to tourists can be expensive...useta get avocados from the supermarket and a couple of baguettes from the bakery and have them available to snack on...also nice to take an avocado to the breakfast buffet to eat with fresh bread, followed by an omelette or some pho or both...always buy booze and snacks from the supermarket as the little convenience stores are a rip off...there's usually cheap burgers and pizza available everywhere...pub food, etc...

• Like 1