Leaving BKK for 6/9 months, Vietnam questions.

Paulinho

53 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I've had a couple from the VN Embassy in Bangkok, 1 from Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Ha Noi and in a couple of days I'll try to get my next one in HCMC.

Based on marriage 

You mean marriage to a Vietnamese national?  That's a whole different kettle of fish sauce....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happened six months ago, a year ago or 5 years ago or 10 years ago does not apply now to visas. Having spent a number of long stints in VN, I know that what rules and fees are applied today may not be applied tomorrow. The paraphrased statement of a very  successful, well-recommended visa agent in my southern coastal city. 

Apparently in the new year, some of the longer visa options will again be reopened and fees return to "normal". But this does not necessarily apply to all administrative districts, especially the big cities. But no word yet. And don't put any bets on it. This is Vietnam. 

3 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

What happened six months ago, a year ago or 5 years ago or 10 years ago does not apply now to visas. Having spent a number of long stints in VN, I know that what rules and fees are applied today may not be applied tomorrow. The paraphrased statement of a very  successful, well-recommended visa agent in my southern coastal city. 

Apparently in the new year, some of the longer visa options will again be reopened and fees return to "normal". But this does not necessarily apply to all administrative districts, especially the big cities. But no word yet. And don't put any bets on it. This is Vietnam. 

do you know if the visa info on the VN gov't website for online visa applications is usually up to date and reflects any recent changes as they happen?

24 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

do you know if the visa info on the VN gov't website for online visa applications is usually up to date and reflects any recent changes as they happen?

I haven't had a "normal" tourist visa or short-term visa in a few years. So I have never used the official MoFA site, which is fairly new. But I think it would be totally up to date.

My references above reflect my experiences with third-party providers, those who enter and leave by the backdoor. They are the best sources of 3-month, 6-month and 1-year business visas all with multi-entry, the only good options for long-term stays. Those visa types change as to availability and fees based on the latest internal decisions.

There's also the 2-year Temporary Residence Card, which has been very expensive the last few months. Hopefully the latter will be cheaper in the new year. Currently about $1000US!

About 3 years ago, I was never able to get anything more than a 3-month single entry visa at the VN embassy in Bangkok. So I went the third-party route, first with a 3-month biz visa, and extended it to 12 months in-country. I now have a 6-month, also extended in-country.

Who knows what the third-party providers will have in the new year?

5 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I haven't had a "normal" tourist visa or short-term visa in a few years. So I have never used the official MoFA site, which is fairly new. But I think it would be totally up to date.

My references above reflect my experiences with third-party providers, those who enter and leave by the backdoor. They are the best sources of 3-month, 6-month and 1-year business visas all with multi-entry, the only good options for long-term stays. Those visa types change as to availability and fees based on the latest internal decisions.

There's also the 2-year Temporary Residence Card, which has been very expensive the last few months. Hopefully the latter will be cheaper in the new year. Currently about $1000US!

About 3 years ago, I was never able to get anything more than a 3-month single entry visa at the VN embassy in Bangkok. So I went the third-party route, first with a 3-month biz visa, and extended it to 12 months in-country. I now have a 6-month, also extended in-country.

Who knows what the third-party providers will have in the new year?

I had a temp residence card issued in 2010 for which I needed a medical exam and a thai police report and all the rest was handled by my employer, good for a year then I believe...the changing visa requirements in VN will be of interest to a lot of western expats in Thailand as VN is shaping up to be an attractive alternative with deteriorating thai immigration arrangements...

On 12/23/2018 at 1:56 PM, rhodie said:

@Paulinho Great thread. Would really be interested in how you are getting on after 2 months. Rental prices for accommodation, general and COL feedback appreciated if possible.

@rhodie

Am in Hanoi. Rent in central good location cheaper than bangkok by a bit. I got a 6 month lease and a large 2 bedroom place for 700usd. Check the property sites for more ideas. However you won't find the amount of modern style condos you would in bkk for example. 

The only thing that seems more expensive is electric. Most things are a fair bit cheaper. Including transport - grab is much cheaper than bkk.

Oh, and it's been really cold ... ! I mean after living in LOS.

P

4 hours ago, Paulinho said:

@rhodie

Am in Hanoi. Rent in central good location cheaper than bangkok by a bit. I got a 6 month lease and a large 2 bedroom place for 700usd. Check the property sites for more ideas. However you won't find the amount of modern style condos you would in bkk for example. 

The only thing that seems more expensive is electric. Most things are a fair bit cheaper. Including transport - grab is much cheaper than bkk.

P

Thanks mate. Hope you are enjoying it there.

15 hours ago, Paulinho said:

@rhodie

P

I might be lookin' to rent a furnished studio near the center of Hanoi sometime in the new year...any links to rental agents that you can offer? lookin' to spend around USD500 per month and don't wanna live out by "ciputra' etc...

I presume that folks will be goin' home for the TET holiday sometime soon and things will shut down fer a couple of weeks...I was in Hanoi during TET in 2011 and it was deserted and freeze ass...stayed in bed at the Melia Hotel for 2 days with my kindle to thaw out...even worse down on the Ha Tinh coast...the weather can be unexpectedly brutal...at least there ain't no typhoons that time of year...

On 11/29/2018 at 2:01 PM, Crash999 said:

That’s what happens when the immigration department is run by Daleks. 

3 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I might be lookin' to rent a furnished studio near the center of Hanoi sometime in the new year...any links to rental agents that you can offer? lookin' to spend around USD500 per month and don't wanna live out by "ciputra' etc...

I presume that folks will be goin' home for the TET holiday sometime soon and things will shut down fer a couple of weeks...I was in Hanoi during TET in 2011 and it was deserted and freeze ass...stayed in bed at the Melia Hotel for 2 days with my kindle to thaw out...even worse down on the Ha Tinh coast...the weather can be unexpectedly brutal...at least there ain't no typhoons that time of year...

@tutsiwarrior

It is cold here. Its almost 7am and it says 'feels like 9c' according to weather app. 

Sure on agents. Just PM me and I'll give you my agents details. He and his company seem on the ball. 

Good luck let me know if you need any other info. 

P

1 hour ago, Paulinho said:

@tutsiwarrior

It is cold here. Its almost 7am and it says 'feels like 9c' according to weather app. 

Sure on agents. Just PM me and I'll give you my agents details. He and his company seem on the ball. 

Good luck let me know if you need any other info. 

P

please see my PM...9C??? yikes, that's cold...been discussing a meet up with my son in Hanoi and need to advise re: warm clothing to bring...in 2011 we had a guy come out to join our consultant crew and he only brought light clothing expecting north VN to be a jungle...he froze ass and ended up going home to europe as he couldn't find any local clothes to buy to fit him...there was a woman that had a clothes stall near the supermarket in Ha Tinh and when she saw a westerner approaching would wave her arms and shout No!, No!...I thought that she was some ignorant xenophobe but as it turned out she didn't have any clothes to fit us...sure was cold that winter and many of us were desperate...

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

please see my PM...9C??? yikes, that's cold...been discussing a meet up with my son in Hanoi and need to advise re: warm clothing to bring...in 2011 we had a guy come out to join our consultant crew and he only brought light clothing expecting north VN to be a jungle...he froze ass and ended up going home to europe as he couldn't find any local clothes to buy to fit him...there was a woman that had a clothes stall near the supermarket in Ha Tinh and when she saw a westerner approaching would wave her arms and shout No!, No!...I thought that she was some ignorant xenophobe but as it turned out she didn't have any clothes to fit us...sure was cold that winter and many of us were desperate...

Ha. Yes, the 'no no no' can take getting used to here after LOS.... Quite a difference.

Will check PM

Archived