Brit expat charged for horrific Phuket accident

webfact

Brit expat charged for horrific Phuket accident

By Tavee Adam

1539763988_1-org.jpg

The victim’s body was torn apart by the force of the impact. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Police confirmed today (Oct 17) that British expat Paul John Mercer has been charged with reckless driving causing death.

Mercer was driving northbound on Thepkrasattri Rd in Muang Mai, Thalang at 4:45am last Wednesday (Oct 10) when his Mercedes-Benz C250 struck a man who was collecting recyclable litter from alongside the road opposite the PTT petrol station.

The man, who police have yet to name, was torn to pieces by the impact, with parts of his body left strewn across the road.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-expat-charged-for-horrific-phuket-accident-69006.php#DisaFHQWFqyP9FHy.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-10-17

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Capt Warawud declined to reveal the results of the alcohol blood test or whether Mercer was tested for any other substances, or reveal any further details about the case, including whether Mercer had been released on bail."
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-expat-charged-for-horrific-phuket-accident-69006.php#wduJGIC5BSouQj5y.99
Which many will take as meaning that yes he is on bail, money is working its magic and the cops are working a fix.
Not going to see the inside of a jail cell because there is an affordable solution.

36 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

<snip>

Which many will take as meaning that yes he is on bail, money is working its magic and the cops are working a fix.
Not going to see the inside of a jail cell because there is an affordable solution.

Exactly. High price lawyer will take care of everything. Might not even see inside of a court.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:
"Capt Warawud declined to reveal the results of the alcohol blood test or whether Mercer was tested for any other substances, or reveal any further details about the case, including whether Mercer had been released on bail."
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-expat-charged-for-horrific-phuket-accident-69006.php#wduJGIC5BSouQj5y.99

You seem to know everything so I won't argue, however note that a good insurance usually includes a provision for bail money and it's therefore not so surprising that he is out for the moment even without invoking magics and fixes.

For the moment.

Of course if this was a rich influential Thai, the case would have taken months to solve if not years, and the suspect may have had time to jump the country. Then years for the authorities making lame excuses along the way about how difficult it is to arrest the suspect. But since it involves a foreigner, it's truly amazing how justice can be server very quickly, isn't it amazing ! 

RIP the victim of course.

6 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

This same car had been seen screaming around the island before this accident.... somnomnaaaaaaa!!!! book em dano!!

Well I'm glad you find humour in the death of a man who was just trying to survive (not).

2 hours ago, the guest said:

Of course if this was a rich influential Thai, the case would have taken months to solve if not years, and the suspect may have had time to jump the country. Then years for the authorities making lame excuses along the way about how difficult it is to arrest the suspect. But since it involves a foreigner, it's truly amazing how justice can be server very quickly, isn't it amazing ! 

RIP the victim of course.

Yep- every vehicle death thread needs a mention  of 'Boy' doesn't it? Well done you got it in in under 10 posts. Have a cookie.

Foot note:

* Correction: The police have still not received the alcohol blood test results from the hospital. The error is regretted.
Phuket Times this afternoon.

7 days seems an awful long time to take and analyse a simple blood sample?????????????????????  

G B W

Foot note:

* Correction: The police have still not received the alcohol blood test results from the hospital. The error is regretted.

7 days seems an awful long time to take and analyse a simple blood sample?????????????????????  

Possibly trying to analyse just how much water there was in the whisky !!

I think I'll wait until the outcome of the report before commenting.one thing I must say is it's not safe to skittle around in the middle of a highway in the middle of the night with some sort of trolley that would probably have no lights on and the man not having a high viz jacket on.im not trying to blame the victim but sometimes when you play with fire you can expect to get burnt.anyway let's wait and see the outcome.

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of an accident years ago in Bangkok. A Porsche driver hit someone and ripped the body in two parts.

Then he continued to drive to somewhere else - I think he somehow didn't notice the impact.

As far as I remember the guy was never properly punished. TiT

Half the body ended up in the front seat so pretty sure he noticed it

I remember many years ago driving my pick-up at night on this same stretch of road in Phuket.  (I don't drink).  Nearly killed a Thai guy who was blind drunk and walking down the middle of the road!

I stopped and gave him a lift home - he must have had a death wish...... (or the whisky was the best ever).

Nowhere does it say the Merc driver was at fault.  Have to wait and see what lab results are. Mercs have very good headlights , so he should have seen the guy. maybe he was speeding, maybe the guy was not on the far left. We don't know.  So stop guessing every time there is an accident. Wrong word !  lets call it a fatal car crash, an accident is very different.

10 hours ago, GBW said:

Foot note:

negotiation period

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of an accident years ago in Bangkok. A Porsche driver hit someone and ripped the body in two parts.

Then he continued to drive to somewhere else - I think he somehow didn't notice the impact.

As far as I remember the guy was never properly punished. TiT

That was here in Bangkok. He definitely noticed the impact as half the body was in the passenger side of the car after having gone through the windshield. 

He went to the nearest gas station and called his parents. Later they paid the family of the worker and he got a suspended sentence. 

That one was just speeding. This one seems it could have alcohol as a factor too. Guy’s family is very wealthy so it will be interesting how this plays out. 

16 hours ago, webfact said:

The man, who police have yet to name,

Wonder how long before the hardworking, hyper-efficient police successfully produce a ‘grieving family member’ who will graciously accept the gazillion Baht...less 90% commissions, consultation charges, and handling fees...settlement.

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

This time I pray you are proved wrong, darksidedog

12 hours ago, GBW said:

Foot note:

Perhaps financial arrangements take some time to be agreed upon and concluded? ????

(sceptical comment alert)

Well if he gets the same treatment as a local it should be about 1000bt. Wasn't that what the Thai guy got who came round a bend too fast and on the wrong side of the road killing two Brit cyclists a few years back? 2000bt fine I believe so 1000bt per death. Who wants to bet he won't get treated with that leniency (not that he should of course, nobody should)

37 minutes ago, BEngBKK said:

What happend to the normal 500 Baht fine and a way ??? 

Ahh. okay... He is not Thai

Don't you have anything original to say?

Why trot out the same old (somebody else's) crap?

Why bother to post at all?

Yawn***

Archived